Praying Psalm over enemies

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

I know someone who is continuing to pray many verses from the book of Psalm over there enemies. Those who they consider there enemy have continued to reject every invitation of salvation and claim they are an atheist. They are causing many problems for this person and there family by spreading destroying lies, causing harm and it looks like bureau of man, they have gotten away with it and continue to do so ( however we know nothing is out of God's sight and all is recorded) however my question is: is this the right way to pray for one's enemy like this?

Thank you, you friend in Christ

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73
  • Days Won:  0

Try reading Romans 12:20 which tells us to do good to/for those who hate us.

One doesn't have to forgive them, just pray for them.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

2 minutes ago, Who me said:

One doesn't have to forgive them, just pray for them.

I disagree. We are told to forgive.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ayin jade said:

I disagree as well, we do have to forgive them. For if we do not forgive we ourselves are not forgiven.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ayin jade said:

If you read Luke 17:3-4, you will see forgiveness conditional on there being repentance. Then and only then we must forgive.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

14 minutes ago, Who me said:

If you read Luke 17:3-4, you will see forgiveness conditional on there being repentance. Then and only then we must forgive.

I'm sorry but this is being taken out of context. Every Christian is required to forgive with no conditions. For again if we do not forgive then we are not forgiven. So please take a closer look at what Jesus says.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Something I'd keep in mind in all of this is the environment we live in is very different in ways from the environment David and other writers of individual psalms were alive. For the most part we don't have to deal with people literally trying to kill us and our families. The type of human enemies we face are often pretty mild in comparison. This is on top of Jesus telling us to do good to our enemies, bless those that curse us, and be forgiving. With all that in mind there's really no basis to be praying for them to come to harm.

On 31 October 2019 at 8:36 PM, Revlori said:

I'm sorry but this is being taken out of context. Every Christian is required to forgive with no conditions. For again if we do not forgive then we are not forgiven. So please take a closer look at what Jesus says.

Have you read the context?

17 Jesus said to his disciples: “Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. 2 It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble. 3 So watch yourselves.

If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. 4 Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”

6 He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.

7 “Suppose one of you has a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Will he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, ‘Come along now and sit down to eat’? 8 Won’t he rather say, ‘Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink’? 9 Will he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? 10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’”

Please bare two things in mind.

1/ God only forgives us when we repented and we are supose to follow Gods example.

2/ The whole OT sacrifical system taught that one only obtained forgiveness when one repented.

It is not possible to stand holding a lamb that one is going to kill to obtain forgiveness without acknowleging that one is a sinner in need of forgiveness.

Jesus and the disciples taught the importance of forgiveness in the knowledge that there has to be repentance.

Then and only then Must we forgive.

If there is no repentance, like Jesus on the cross we commit the offender, the situation and our feelings over to God for him to deal with.

I'm sorry this is not so. you are picking things out of the word to justify the sin of unforgiveness.

Yes I do read the bible in its entirety. The entire gospel is based upon forgivness. You nor I didn't deserve to be forgiven but because of the love of Christ , we have that amazing opportunity to come before him and receive his forgiveness.Yes we must repent but Jesus himself teaches us in the Lord's prayer: forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. (Matthew 6:12) as well as (1 John 4:7-11. Describes this amazing love for us and that we must backward others)

Please also read (Matthew 6:14-15 ) you will not find any conditions except. You will not be forgiven.

Also read (Mark 11:25) If you have anything against anyone, forgive him. 

if someone sins against you, many times they do this because they truly want to hurt you in some way. You in turn, become angry and are hurt by other people. The person who sinned against you isn't remorseful, they purposefully wanted to hurt you. What your saying is, because this person won't repent to you for their wrong, you don't have to forgive them? 

You can't apply the love of Christ without forgiveness. Remember love covers a multitude of sin.( 1Peter 4:8) 

Do you think all of those who had Jesus crucified repented before he said (Father for forgive them for they know not what there doing Luke 23:35) no, of course not. Jesus forgives his enemies and we must as well. This is mercy.

If you are going by what you wrote, and you will only forgive those who ask you and not Those who do not ask,then I will pray for you. I will also pray for understanding. God is love and to walk in him, we to love with no conditions my friend.

• Well Said! 3