• Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,515
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, Debp said:
On 11/2/2019 at 3:28 PM, joebloggs said:

Are most of the Christian's in Mexico Catholic then?

Most may be Roman Catholic, but if asked if they are Christian they will say no. They will respond that they are Catholic. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18

On 11/1/2019 at 2:43 PM, ayin jade said:

Someone posted about all saints day. Elsewhere in the country all saints day is probably nice. I wouldnt know. In my area, it has a darker meaning ...

All Saints Day, Here I thought it is specially for me, celebrating my birth. :D!!!

Different cultures are different from each other.  Seems rather wonderfully interesting to me.

One of the privileges of having been in the cemetery business at Los Angeles was  to be exposed to so many of those very different cultures! And especially how differently they remember their dead.

American Samoans  were quite expressive, at Memorial Day (USA) as all their interment sites got highly decorated and outlined, covering entire burial site with "decor"

Not to be outdone, the Italian Roman Catholics started decorating the entirety of their mausoleum crypts, and that led to the Koreans deciding to decorate any ol' way at anytime.

It all played havoc with maintenance, mowing, and even  preparation for new burials - our guidance rules not withstanding, people would do what their heart leads them to do, as they remembered their dead. And it always all worked out. It is healing and also simply duty for many, for them to remember and to actually celebrate the life of a dead family member, and I have found it rather endearing,  with entire communities celebrating at special festival times too.

Most had some sort of Christian affiliation, yet many did not, some thatI got to know were very active in their own local bodies of Christ Jesus. They all had quite different manner of celebrating their faith and honoring the traditions of their own cultures.

All th ewhile the more "academic" and stoic white professed protestant Christian that did not go to any church, tended also to not have any deep sense of caring about remembrance of those now gone on.  Just seemed to be the way it was.

I suggest  that  Christians are not above any others, and are saved only  by the unmerited mercy of God alone.  Seeing celebrations that are very foreign, might even become a quite wonderful reminder to be in prayer for the unsaved and to be especially kind to each that seems to not yet know Jesus as Lord God and savior, especially as they live their own culture and remember their own dead.

That this may be especially apparent  on special days and festivals is an opportunity to show how Jesus affects positively the heart of those called by the Holy Spirit to turn about and repent of sin against God and to praise Jesus for His sacrifice in blood made so that many may be saved to eternal life with God the Father.

"Show me the manner in which a nation cares for it's dead and I will measure with mathematical exactness, the tender mercy of its people, their respect for the law of the land and their loyalty to high ideals." - William Gladstone

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Most may be Roman Catholic, but if asked if they are Christian they will say no. They will respond that they are Catholic. 

I have known many Catholics and if asked they definitely would say that they are a Christian.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

That's interesting.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I have known many Catholics...

Why me too! How about that.

11 hours ago, joebloggs said:

That's interesting.

Are you Catholic joe?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Are you Catholic joe?

I only identify as Christian,  I dont subscribe to any denomination.

7 hours ago, joebloggs said:

I only identify as Christian,  I dont subscribe to any denomination.

Me neither. 

• Thumbs Up 1