How can a loving God...?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I often hear this question / complaint from people who (knowingly or not) are placing 

themselves on God's throne. "A loving God according to MY standards, MY definitions..."

Dr. James Dobson once said about his son Ryan who had a badly infected foot that had to be drained...

I killed him to see his young son screaming with pain as the Doctor drained the foot... it was so painful that

he (Dr. Dobson) had to help hold Ryan down. And in his son's eyes he could see the look of being betrayed by the

one he loved and trusted most. Dr Dobson was in tears just reflecting back on it. "I'll never forget that look on his

face as if to say 'Daddy, how could you let them do this to me?'"

Ah, but along comes somebody who says this was child abuse.. and they kid would have been better off leaving the infection alone...

Then Dr Dobson would be speaking of his late son.

But by Jiminy, those folks sitting on God's throne know best...  

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,299
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

As you say they are placing their standards on God instead of the other way round.

But then these same people don't accept Gods love to them in salvation because they are not prepared to humble themselves and say sorry to God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

20 hours ago, JohnD said:

I often hear this question / complaint from people who (knowingly or not) are placing 

themselves on God's throne. "A loving God according to MY standards, MY definitions..."

Dr. James Dobson once said about his son Ryan who had a badly infected foot that had to be drained...

I killed him to see his young son screaming with pain as the Doctor drained the foot... it was so painful that

he (Dr. Dobson) had to help hold Ryan down. And in his son's eyes he could see the look of being betrayed by the

one he loved and trusted most. Dr Dobson was in tears just reflecting back on it. "I'll never forget that look on his

face as if to say 'Daddy, how could you let them do this to me?'"

Ah, but along comes somebody who says this was child abuse.. and they kid would have been better off leaving the infection alone...

Then Dr Dobson would be speaking of his late son.

But by Jiminy, those folks sitting on God's throne know best...  

The Bible lists more than 30 specific purposes for suffering, but most of these are benefits for born again believers. Suffering puts us in touch with the Divine!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

When we look at something happening to others, we tend to say or have some crazy idea that they must of done something to deserve this, however we are quickly changed to entertaining This question of How could a loving God...(whatever the case may be) when something happens to us or to someone we know personally..

I'm sure this age old question could possibly go back to the garden of Eden, when Cain killed his brother Able..This could of went through Adam and Eve's mind  ( How can their loving God have allowed this to happen) but this question can only be answered by Free will. 

Galatians 5:13  You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh ; rather, serve one another humbly in love.

Joshua 24:15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”

As with Adam and Eve, their free will enabled them to sin or not. They chose to sin.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.

Their son's had the same free will as do each one of us, to sin or not. Cain sinned and ended up murdering his brother. Nothing has changed in this aspect today. Christians and non-Christians alike live in a fallen world.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 For [there is] not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

We all sin, and that is why we need a saviour. This is why Jesus came.

Luke 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. 

However,Many people chose to do horrific thing's such as murder, rape, stealing, and every manner of sin and evil. This happens to Christians and non-stop Christians alike.

For Jesus said

John 16:33  (NIV)“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

This is everything we face in this world. So it isn't the question of (How can a loving God?????) It is,what do we do as Christians when these troubles hit our lives?

1 Turn to God. Isaiah 45:22 Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth; For I am God, and there is no other.

2 know God is in control. Isaiah 41:10“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 

3. Rely on God.Psalm 46:1God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

4 love and obey God Deuteronomy 11:1 Love the LORD your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always.

5 Pray and call upon God. Philippians 4:6-7Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

your friend in Christ

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

The secret to love, God's or otherwise is that it must be accepted.  It is never forced on anyone

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

How could a loving God....?

The question itself is incomplete, just as the understanding about God from the person asking this question.
The question tends to forget other aspects of God. A loving, rightious, holy, almighty, allknowing, unchanging, sovereign God, our creator.
When you understand what holy an rightious mean. And you are able to put yourself in that perspective. Then you will understand. 

As far as I have understood the bible, for someone to be able to really understand, a change of heart is needed. Thus we as Christians only share the gospel. When faced with such a question, I personally try to give the person asking a wider view of who God is and the severity of our sins. (disobedience) We don't have to persuade someone to belief what we belief. God (His words) is the one that changes someone's heart and show them the truth. (We should be thankfull for God to have changed our hearts, so we can't boast that it's done by our own.)

Edited by Wesley L

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Sometimes, when I ponder the harsh realities of our various sufferings in this world, which at times throughout human history, both communal and personal, have been horrific, and in light of my belief in an infinitely loving and merciful Lord, I find myself awestruck with the promise of the unimaginable eternal life that God has planned for us.  Why?  For, these sufferings, as incomprehensible and horrible as they seem to us now, are but the gentle corrections of a caring parent, with best intentions striving to offer us what we need.  To the child suffering correction it may seem that the very world is coming to an end.  Questions of truth, loyalty, and caring concern of the First Principle must of necessity be experienced.  It is at this moment when an act of faith has the power to break through the darkness of human perception.  To experience the joy of eternal life, as Christ has told us, we must truly die to ourselves.  Let's face it, that has to hurt.  And it will.  If we can perhaps view suffering, in general, and our own personal pains, in particular, in this context, we may, with God's freely given grace, summon the strength to persevere through turmoil knowing that it is a temporary state leading ultimately to a place where pain and tears are no more.  We grope in blindness as we search within our present corrupted state.  Our faith, hope, and love of our neighbor will sustain us.  He will not allow us to be eternally lost.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

If one reads the Book of Job they will find the answer to these Age-Old questions.We may not like the answer. Quite simply , it is none of our business.Who is man to question God? Where were “ we” when God hung the planets? We have to have the Faith that God knows “ exactly” what He is doing and why He is doing it. No man is smart enough to be God’s Critic.

I look at it like this—— Ghastly and terrible things happen to people sometimes.I figure God let’s these things happen only because the alternative could be worse .Just my thoughts .....

• Loved it! 1