Tigger56

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  0

A number of years ago there was a man within our church organization that spoke wrongly against my dad. I say organization for we were part of a group of churches(I only mention this because it was only on some of God's holy days that we would all see each other.)

My dad was aware that this particular man had spoken wrongly against him. But when our church groups were meeting together and my dad saw this man, he walked over to him, shook his hand, spoke a few words of a kind greeting unto him. I was surprised by this for I felt animosity toward this man for the things he had said against my father. I approached my dad and asked him why he went out of his way to speak to and to greet this particular individual. My dad smiled at me and simply told me, "I needed it."

I pondered those words and have thought of them from time to time when someone has spoken against me. In church we are a group of people that are attempting to follow God to the best of our ability, but we are not perfect and do make mistakes. Sometimes people realize their mistakes unto one another and will ask for forgiveness, sometimes however words are spoken or actions taken that hurts another and the one involved either is unaware of the hurt caused or still sure of their own position, either way forgiveness is never sought or apologies made. When this happens, do we hurt the individual that has wronged us by feelings of animosity and actions of silence or do we harm ourselves? My father chose to forgive this individual for things wrongly spoken though no apology was ever made. But forgiveness also must be put into action.

I have learned many lessons from my dad over the years and this is one of them. My dad just turned 85 and I continue to learn from him. He is a man that walks in the light of the Lord. He and I will still go to nursing homes together and he will tell me that he wants to go visit the "old people".  Anyway, off the subject, but just wanted to share a lesson learned from the action taken by my dad and his words, "I needed it."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

8 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

My father chose to forgive this individual for things wrongly spoken though no apology was ever made. But forgiveness also must be put into action.

My mom has also shown this trait of earnest Christian humility towards some who had criticsized her wrongly. She won them over in the long run and it was much to her advantage. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Sounds to me like your dad is one of those old timers who believes the wisdom
of  "well done is better than well said."
A hero of the faith, fighting his spiritual unseen battles of the faith,
 alive unto Christ, a loyal soldier in God's army.
I might can relate to your dad's unjust accusation, and at the time I felt such anger that I desired revenge,
that was only eventually lifted by submitting to the opposite of my desires.
Stay as a friend, even/especially through the rough times.
(Was honestly though more about obedience than love, I admit)
I see you like fishing. Did your dad teach you to fish?
To have a Godly dad is a tremendous blessing, Tigger.....
But you already know that.... : ) 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I believe you are truly blessed to have such a positive guiding light in your life in your father.  He seems to have put the words of Christ into action.  In my experience this is almost always easier said than done.  By forgiving in this way we not only work to sustain the integrity of our social community, but also allow ourselves to live unburdened by the weight of carried animosity toward those who would insult us by their words and/or actions.  In this case it becomes a win win situation.  This degree of forgiveness allows us to truly love as Christ implores.  And, where love exists there can be no fear.  Obedience to the teachings of Christ will always lead ultimately to the joy of human freedom, which is our ultimate true state as children of God.  God bless you.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

50 minutes ago, Sower said:

Sounds to me like your dad is one of those old timers who believes the wisdom
of  "well done is better than well said."
A hero of the faith, fighting his spiritual unseen battles of the faith,
 alive unto Christ, a loyal soldier in God's army.
I might can relate to your dad's unjust accusation, and at the time I felt such anger that I desired revenge,
that was only eventually lifted by submitting to the opposite of my desires.
Stay as a friend, even/especially through the rough times.
(Was honestly though more about obedience than love, I admit)
I see you like fishing. Did your dad teach you to fish?
To have a Godly dad is a tremendous blessing, Tigger.....
But you already know that.... : ) 

Appreciate the response and the words, "well done is better than well said", I like that phrase. My dad has truly been a loyal soldier in God's army, I sometimes refer to him as the "old general" now.   It was indeed my dad that taught me to fish. We still go fishing together. He likes to sit alongside a lake now in a chair. We use to wade the streams doing trout fishing but now when I fish with him, we sit and fish for bream (shell crackers), and what ever else wants to take a worm. My dad and mom, both living, he is 85, she is 83, live next door to me and both are great blessings.

• Loved it! 1