• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, Brick said:

two things come to mind ...the research and development in making a brand name drug is costly and  then the advertising of it 

then once patent expires others sell it

Many of these counterfeit or fake meds are coming out of China and India. This is a problem in the United States as well as all over the world.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, missmuffet said:

This is how it works. A person approaches the chemist making the meds and says " Here is $2,000.00 for you to take the meds I have and give me the the meds you are making. It saves the company millions. If you have a person who has pneumonia and is taking an antibiotic and the pill does not contain the antibiotic but is just a sugar pill it could kill them. 

Hi, None of that is in the article that opened up this thread. Where is the evidence of what is  now seemingly  being speculated about? 

Brand name drugs are made in India too! They are not counterfeit, nor fake. The generic is in my own case made by the same company with the very same ingredients, per my own physicians. And per me, they work! They save me about $18 per dose on one med.

Can hardly  wait for Symbicort to be "counterfeited".  That little inhaler costs up to $900 a month. I am most fortunate that my insurance company is one of the few that will cover it. But I still pay one steep copay on it.

What the article in the opening post did state was that some pills, time release aspirin type products as example, did not always dissolve at the rate the manufacturer said they would, and that pills within the same bottle dissolved at different rates.

They were selling us on their own quality control testing. They were promoting themselves. 

This seems to me to be hysteria over nothing, and a fear sometimes promoted by USA manufacturers of pills that sell at extremely high prices without competition in the USA, because of FDA constraints upon competition.  They do have some competition outside the USA. Being able to buy from outside the USA is saving many a person real money, and allowing  affordable medical care to reach them, and me too.

I buy a generic from India that works great! and I also buy in the USA from Canada via a local USA distributor.  

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a problem with distribution of real drugs from China, real drugs from India and real drugs from USA manufacturers. And yes it is a serious issue, a crisis at the USA with way too many people being able to secure very potent medicines that should never be issued in the quantities they are manufactured. The FDA has not been at all effective in controlling that issue.

Best thing I suppose is to not take any meds, just up and graduate from here sooner rather than later.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Best thing I suppose is to not take any meds, just up and graduate from here sooner rather than later.

If a person has a very serious illness and may die it is hard to say "don't take any meds".

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, because it's beyond all reasonable expectations. The Lord desires for us to care for the temple He's granted, and few can age without the eventual need for a medicinal regimen. I am thankful there is no present need for Beta blockers, however. They did perform the function of their purpose, but the side-effects were undesirable.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, Read an article today quoting CVS Pharmacy  CEO stating that if one will share their medical plan information with their doctor that doctors are then switching them to generics 40 percent of the time thus helping reduce the prescription cost on average by $90 per month per prescription. He didn't seem to have any problem with generics. He wasn't sounding an alarm about counterfeit or fake drugs. My doctor always sets me up with generics, except for Symbicort as there is no generic  for it yet. Paying for that one without an excellent  prescription coverage insurance is more like making a house mortgage payment or a lease payment on a  Ferrari. Even with excellent coverage it is like making a lease payment on a  full size loaded vehicle.

I am so glad I found great Medicare Plus insurance, have a fine doctor, and am blessed to be able to make the copays. And, that I don't have to make any car or mortgage payments.  So I just swallow a couple of pills a day for blood pressure and arteries, and go on my way wheezing as I "work". Hi ho hi ho. A blast of Symbicort and I am good to go. Well kinda, the shots of cortisone through the shoulders and down the back  add their  "grease" to the joints. I am juiced up like an old thoroughbred being set to make it's last surprisingly fast finish on the mile and a half track. Might even win, never mind just place or show.

8 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Read an article today quoting CVS Pharmacy  CEO stating that if one will share their medical plan information with their doctor that doctors are then switching them to generics 40 percent of the time thus helping reduce the prescription cost on average by $90 per month per prescription.

My medications would not be possible for me, had it not been for assistance from the pharmacists at CVS. It has been an astronomical savings. The only problem encountered was the miscalculation of their automatic pill/tablet dispensers. I've had as many as a shortage of 10 tablets on certain prescriptions, and have had to request that they count them out for me discreetly to the side of the main counter. Fair is fair, and they've always been very understanding about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

have had to request that they count them out for me discreetly to the side of the main counter.

Interesting.

I did count one time, at home. But at the store? I don't know about me having them do that, I  can't count to 90 without feeling I have to recount. So I guess I would have to change to 30 day prescription. I might trust counting to 30- Ha.

Seriously I have benefited from CVS attentiveness and discussion about meds. They and my doctors do coordinate saving me money and also making sure various prescriptions do not conflict one with another. And  must say Aetna is on the ball too! Their rather constant updating of my care is quite helpful And the Medicare premier ppo policy itself has been terrific.

Now if our politicians would step aside, stop their games of control over us and our decision making for medical care, the rest of my family might again be able to secure decent coverage too.

It is nuts that a geezer can get such great coverage, but my younger family members cannot. They subsidize us and all on welfare too yet cannot even find affordable medicare care insurance for themselves.

May God free us all from the controlling grip of politicians. 

30 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

I did count one time, at home. But at the store? I don't know about me having them do that, I  can't count to 90 without feeling I have to recount. So I guess I would have to change to 30 day prescription. I might trust counting to 30- Ha.

You bet. Automated machines aren't perfect, and they are well aware of that. Ann Landers in her advice column recommended if experiencing a shortage on a prescription, have the pharmacist or a pharm tech count them out for you. Once leaving the pharmacy, they can't be responsible to accept your word concerning an error on their behalf. It's basic policy, plain and simple. Running short ten days on any med isn't a good thing when it comes to your health.