missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

There has been a growing list of counterfeit drugs in our world today. Especially in the United States. In the past you mostly heard of it from getting drugs off the internet. I have recently dealt with this issue with a family member. It could be serious to take a medication and it turns out to have no medication in it at all. It is fake. You can not tell the difference by looking at it. It looks exactly like the legitimate drug you have been taking. I am not pleased with the way the FDA is handling it. This is an interesting recent article dealing with this issue:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/a-tiny-pharmacy-is-identifying-big-problems-with-common-drugs-including-zantac/2019/11/08/6dd009ca-eb76-11e9-9c6d-436a0df4f31d_story.html

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, missmuffet said:

There has been a growing list of counterfeit drugs in our world today. Especially in the United States. In the past you mostly heard of it from getting drugs off the internet. I have recently dealt with this issue with a family member. It could be serious to take a medication and it turns out to have no medication in it at all. It is fake. You can not tell the difference by looking at it. It looks exactly like the legitimate drug you have been taking. I am not pleased with the way the FDA is handling it. This is an interesting recent article dealing with this issue:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/a-tiny-pharmacy-is-identifying-big-problems-with-common-drugs-including-zantac/2019/11/08/6dd009ca-eb76-11e9-9c6d-436a0df4f31d_story.html

i just browsed through the article, it appears to be more about qualities of drugs as oppose to counterfeit drugs.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Equippers said:

i just browsed through the article, it appears to be more about qualities of drugs as oppose to counterfeit drugs.

It is the same thing. If the ingredients are not what they are supposed to be in a drug it affects the quality of the drug. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, Equippers said:

I read the entire article. It is about a company with a vested interest in it's own reports, and to some degree their findings being different than the FDA's findings.

I personally see no comparison between counterfeiting  and  quality control reports that differ between a government agency and a private company that has a vested interest in their own report. 

Fake drugs you could be getting at your local pharmacy. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

There has to be a reason "generic" drugs are cheaper, ...it's only logical.

1 minute ago, JustPassingThru said:

No, you are not getting the point. If you have a medication and the medication is not in the pill and it is just a sugar pill it can be dangerous. It can even kill some people who rely on those medications. There has even been some chemotherapy drugs that have been counterfeit.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

40 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

two things come to mind ...the research and development in making a brand name drug is costly and  then the advertising of it 

then once patent expires others sell it

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

No, you are not getting the point. If you have a medication and the medication is not in the pill and it is just a sugar pill it can be dangerous. It can even kill some people who rely on those medications. There has even been some chemotherapy drugs that have been counterfeit.

Ah! This clarifies everything. What it indicates is black market " knock-off " (fake) invasion into the medicinal supply. Sounds potentially threatening to honest mainstream pharmaceuticals. Not good news at all. 

2 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Ah! This clarifies everything. What it indicates is black market " knock-off " (fake) invasion into the medicinal supply. Sounds potentially threatening to honest mainstream pharmaceuticals. Not good news at all. 

This is how it works. A person approaches the chemist making the meds and says " Here is $2,000.00 for you to take the meds I have and give me the the meds you are making. It saves the company millions. If you have a person who has pneumonia and is taking an antibiotic and the pill does not contain the antibiotic but is just a sugar pill it could kill them.