• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom to all my brothers and sisters called to be saints,

Here is an introduction study to the Book of Micah.  It may be obvious to  a lot of you out there, but you may of know of a new believer who could benefit from it.

--------------------------------------

THE BOOK OF MICAH - Level 1 Study

Micah, or Mikah in Hebrew, means “Who is like Him?”, with the full name MikaYahu meaning “Who is like Yahu”.  The name is related to Michael which means “who is like El (God)?”  Micah’s name is a rhetorical question, just like many questions within this book.

FACT: Michael (Mi-ka-el in Hebrew) is the name of THE Archangel in the Bible.  He is mentioned rising to fight in future Great War the latter days, in Daniel 12:1…

"At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people--everyone whose name is found written in the book--will be delivered."

BACKGROUND INFO

You need to keep the following in mind to not be utterly lost during the book.  So here is a brief news update!

Israel has been divided into two kingdoms for many years now, after King Solomon's death.  The northern kingdom of Israel has descended into evil, idolatry and all ways contrary to Torah - the Instructions of Yahweh, the God of the Bible.  The southern kingdom are going much the same way.  Despite some good kings in the south, the general trend is down and away from Torah.

Now, whilst all 12 tribes of Israel can be referred to as Jacob collectively, because of this divide, the kingdoms are referred to with different names.  The 10 tribes in the north are called either Israel (as they are the bulk of the tribes), Ephraim or Samaria.  As for the 2 tribes in the south, they are referred to with the names Judah, Jerusalem or the House of David. 

We join Micah at about 15 years before the Assyrian Empire took the northern kingdom, Israel, into captivity.  As for Judah, they have about 130 years left before the Babylonians would come to take them into captivity. By now, Israel and Judah have had many warnings from the prophets, with painful cries from Yahweh, pleading for them to repent before it’s too late.  Sadly, and much like ourselves, they still wouldn’t listen and therefore called Yahweh’s hand.

THE MESSIAH

Look out for the detailed charges of the injustices and cruelties that were going on in Israel at the time as it’s important to understand that dark time in history.   Micah charges the people and towns like a lawsuit but also poetically.  In Hebrew, the poetry is on a deeper level, employing a lot of clever wordplay that unfortunately doesn't come across too well in English. 

However, within this heaviness, we suddenly get the light of the Messiah prophesied in chapter 2, as the coming of the great shepherd and king.  The last great 'shepherd-king’ that Israel had was King David. Therefore, within prophetic language, the name David can be used as a title of the Messiah, depending on context.  But perhaps even more significant is the prophecy later in the book.

In Chapter 5 we read a prophecy about the birthplace of the Lord Yahushua (Jesus Christ), written hundreds of years before it happened, which can be independently verified. The passage reads: 

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,

Though you are little among the thousands of Judah,

Yet out of you shall come forth to Me

The One to be Ruler in Israel,

Whose goings forth are from of old,

From everlasting.”

This amazing prophecy gives us the specific birthplace of the Messiah - Bethlehem Ephrathah. 

FACT 1: There was another Bethlehem which was in the North of Israel, but the Messiah was indeed born in Bethlehem Ephrathah, which is in the south, near Jerusalem.  

FACT 2: A highly significant insight that reveals that the Messiah won’t be just a man, but have a timeless pre-existence.

FACT 3: Bethlehem means “House of Bread”.  Bethlehem Ephrathah was the birthplace of King David (ruled 1010 - 970 BC approx).  Although it’s a very small and humble town, it supplied bread and lambs to the Holy City, Jerusalem.  Would there be any other town more appropriate for the Lord Yahushua to be born? Especially considering that some of His titles include: “Son of David”, “The Bread from Heaven” and “The Lamb of God”.  A great example of prophetic design at work by the Creator.

FAVOURITE SCRIPTURE

In chapter 6, you’ll find one of my most favourite passages in Scripture.  It highlights the "weighter matters of Torah" as the Messiah would say.  That is, the fundamental basics which MUST be in place - otherwise everything else is for nothing and just merely legalistic obedience.  In this short passage, Micah sums up this principle with a rhetorical poem that surely points to the very heart of Torah and the Gospel:

"With what shall I come before Yahweh,

And bow myself before the High God?

Shall I come before Him with burnt offerings,

With calves a year old?

Will Yahweh be pleased with thousands of rams,

Ten thousand rivers of oil?

Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,

The fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

He has shown you, O man, what is good;

And what does Yahweh require of you

But to do justly, To love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"

-------------------------------

If you would like to send this to someone you know, you can find an online version here: www.faithandtheword.com/bible/micah/

Love & Shalom

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

It's amazing how God persevered through the unfaithfulness of man to bring us the Promise of His Son--even to have

Him die on a cruel cross. He is so faithful and so good.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Lolly said:

It's amazing how God persevered through the unfaithfulness of man to bring us the Promise of His Son--even to have

Him die on a cruel cross. He is so faithful and so good.

Amen Lolly, amen. 

The depth of His love is more terrifying that the fierceness of His wrath.  HalleluYah. 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Amen Lolly, amen. 

The depth of His love is more terrifying that the fierceness of His wrath.  HalleluYah. 

Love & Shalom 

The depth of His love is indeed terrifying. To quote C.S. Lewis, He is not a tame lion.

We cannot describe His love--it is too high and too deep and wild in passion and glory.

We can only humbly bow and run into His arms.

• Well Said! 1