• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Days Won:  0

Just had this Hymn come to mind...

1. O the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
    Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
    Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
    Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!
  2. O the deep, deep love of Jesus, spread His praise from shore to shore!
    How He loveth, ever loveth, changeth never, nevermore!
    How He watches o’er His loved ones, died to call them all His own;
    How for them He intercedeth, watcheth o’er them from the throne!
  3. O the deep, deep love of Jesus, love of every love the best!
    ’Tis an ocean full of blessing, ’tis a haven giving rest!
    O the deep, deep love of Jesus, ’tis a heav’n of heav’ns to me;
    And it lifts me up to glory, for it lifts me up to Thee!

https://library.timelesstruths.org/music/O_the_Deep_Deep_Love_of_Jesus/ 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

Interestingly enough we are not commanded to like everyone.

But we are commanded to forgive everyone.

We are commanded to Love everyone.

Forgiving does not mean to always forget.  It means to always Forgive.  If someone is a horrible human being, and they hurt you deeply , and you forgive them, ... They are not changed, so, don't forget that....

The rapist isn't changed when you forgive them.  The child molester isn't changed when you forgive them.      What changes them is being born again.  What changes them, is the Love of God shining out of this dark and evil world and into their stone cold HEART, the same way it changed us.      Our job, our mission...... is to help them find this change.  The change is found on the CROSS.

Our Forgiving them is showing them the  Love of God, and forgiving yourself, is also.    Have you forgiven yourself?   You need to.  You absolutely have to do this....   You must look at that thing(s) in your heart, in your mind, from your past that you did, that you caused .. that is THORNING YOU.  Its that life harming self infliction that means you are living in  your own  guilty boiling stew-pot of unforgivness.     Stop doing that.    Forgive yourself.   God did, Christ has, so, now its your turn.   FORGIVE YOURSELF.  Say it out loud.   Name it... whatever it is....and forgive yourself.  Chains will come off and peace will come.

The best way to understand the Love of God is to consider how He loves us.   And how is that?   = He gave Himself for you on the Cross.   "there is no greater love".

So, love, perfect love, is selfless sacrifice that is based on an honest heart that is dictating the motive concerning  you  doing it.

Motive is everything.   See, deeds prove deeds, but motive proves your HEART.

Many Christians, just like many unbelievers..... like to appear to be good,  they like to sound pure, but, God sees your Heart, and He knows the real YOU.

Believe it.

Edited by Behold
  • This is Worthy 1

Both. We are commanded to love others as ourselves. So start by being respectful. Di the right decent thing. Then talk to and understand others point of view. Pray for them and be guided by God. It involves putting our own mind in order and in accordance with God's Will. 

It is very hard at times! Especially when dealing with foolish misguided stubborn people. But do it we must, to help them and ourselves to come to our Lord Jesus Christ. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,796
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

One of the areas of error is to think love is generated... but no for the Word says

1 John 4:8-12

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
KJV
It is essence- we born of God have resource in The Holy Spirit to love so then

Gal 5:16

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
KJV

Gal 5:22-25

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
KJV
letting go of that which God is not keeping and diligently pursuing that which He 'IS' keeping >the narrow path few that find<... 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.66
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Perhaps the following will be helpful...I hope so.

First of all 'Love' as we Christians are concerned, is not an emotion. For us Christians, it is a state of mind that exists as the Love of God 'In Christ' flows through us. It will often feel like emotion because we are emotional creatures, but emotions can fool us--just as we all know.

Love is thinking/believing that someone else is more important than you are. We have this perfect example in our Lord, who thought that we were more important than His own life and suffering!

This is a thing that flows from the Life within you and that well is deep.

We only need to be out of the way and that comes over time and the Lord's dealings with you. Our minds are changed and we become more like Him.

Truly believing that another individual is more important than you are, guarantees a different sort of behavior. It happens as we abide 'In Him'.

This is not something that can be forced or made up....as is everything in a believers life, the only good that we can experience flows from Christ within. We call these things "the fruit of the Spirit". The fruit that is manifested by and through the Life of Christ within us. As we yield to Him and get out of the way, this is a very natural thing. For Christ--as natural as breathing. Whether forgiveness or love or grace or mercy---it is all the very Nature of Christ. And that Nature is yours.

The river flows.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, Sonshine said:

I think to love our neighbor, we must not only treat him well but we must also feel the love.  Let’s say, for example, that you became aware that your neighbor was hungry.  It wouldn’t be Christian love if you baked a nice chicken dinner with some lovely sweet carrots and baked potatoes and then knocked on his door and threw the pot of food at him and said, “Here!  I heard you were hungry!” and then turned away and walked away without a word.  Love has to be from the heart; we must love kindly. :)

"I think to love our neighbor, we must not only treat him well but we must also feel the love."

This caught my attention, Sonshine. There are still many things I do for others that I not only do not 'feel' the love,
but may would rather not be doing this nice deed instead.
I do it because in my mind I know it would be the right thing to do.
My flesh is saying 'forget them', but my spirit says love them.
Love is not 'just feelings'.
For me, any way.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Would you say love is how we treat people or is it how we feel about people? Please explain.

Love is what we were created for and to live in the lives of all others for their eternal benefit as PAUL did.

To practice Godly LOVE is the greatest commandment in the bible and isn't just something to do, but we are to be as Christ was as He walked this earth in the LOVE Christ speaks of.

The LOVE Jesus talked about and shared was a SUPER - NATURAL LOVE that all of us should desire above all else, but have to surrender our whole lives to Christ and pray and seek that SUPER - NATURAL LOVE that is beyond all mankind to acquire or understand on their own.

GODLY LOVE is a SUPER -NATURAL GIFT from God Himself that comes from desiring it more than life itself, for it is the life God intends for all mankind to not only live, but to shine into the world, but few will ever comprehend let alone receive and be willing to choose the sacrifice one must make that comes with it..

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

39 minutes ago, Seasoned by Grace said:

GODLY LOVE is a SUPER -NATURAL GIFT from God Himself that comes from desiring it more than life itself, for it is the life God intends for all mankind to not only live, but to shine into the world, but few will ever comprehend let alone receive and be willing to choose the sacrifice one must make that comes with it..

I agree wholeheartedly with what you have said, ...may I add that "desiring" is just the first step, ...we "desire," ...but lack the "power" to do, ...the "desiring" and often the subsequent "failing" to do is what brings us to the point of understanding and realizing that if the "desire" is to be accomplished then it has to be done by someone else Zech 4:6, ...and that someone is the Holy Spirit living and working through us to conform us into the image of our Lord Jesus Christ, ...when we relinquish all authority of our lives to Him, then He comes and sits on the Throne of our hearts (after all, our bodies "are" the Temple of God) and the life we live is imitating our Lord by and through the "power" of the Holy Spirit.

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1