• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

Paul told us this: 

No, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head." Rom 12:20 RSV 

Would you say love is how we treat people or is it how we feel about people? Please explain.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Would you say love is how we treat people or is it how we feel about people? Please explain.

love is how we treat people
good intentions/feelings just helps us feel good
treating people good feels good and  helps them feel good

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.43

9 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

"if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head." Rom 12:20 RSV 

God's Love is like a spring of water in a desert. When the tribulations of life come the sources of water in the desert dry up, the brooks and streams cannot flow in the harsh dryness. But the Love of God comes from within the person and never dries up, and refreshes both friend and foe. God's love overflows from our soul and reaches to others, even to 0our enemies. To answer your question, We Love, because he first loved us, in that while we were yet enemies, he died for us. Thus we love not out compulsion  or command, but out of a heartfelt desire to see others experience the Love of God, including our enemies. 

• Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology

3 minutes ago, dhchristian said:

God's Love is like a spring of water in a desert. When the tribulations of life come the sources of water in the desert dry up, the brooks and streams cannot flow in the harsh dryness. But the Love of God comes from within the person and never dries up, and refreshes both friend and foe. God's love overflows from our soul and reaches to others, even to 0our enemies. To answer your question, We Love, because he first loved us, in that while we were yet enemies, he died for us. Thus we love not out compulsion  or command, but out of a heartfelt desire to see others experience the Love of God, including our enemies. 

Does love require action?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

8 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I'd say that Christian love requires an action, be it doing something for somone or just praying for them, that is love in action.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

10 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Both

How we feel about them influences how we treat them, and vice versa.

Yes, but;
How I have felt about some was not necessarily how I treated them.
I do not always 'treat' the ones I love as I could/should.
Like wise, I have treated some I didn't like as though I loved them.
(It was the love of Christ in me, and not my 'feelings' of love.
Obedience vs desire.....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I'd describe love as something that needs to be grown, and practiced in order to be grown. So a starting basis of wanting to love others, tempered with loving actions, slowly growing into having that love in a more sincere, non-action way. Perhaps with less time needed in order for that love to grow as more experience is gained.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology

26 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I'd say that Christian love requires an action, be it doing something for somone or just praying for them, that is love in action.

There would probably be times when love requires action. I think one of the New Testament writers addresses that. If you need $10, and I have $10 to spare, I can give you the $10, or I can pray for you. It would probably be best to give you the $10.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

22 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

There would probably be times when love requires action. I think one of the New Testament writers addresses that. If you need $10, and I have $10 to spare, I can give you the $10, or I can pray for you. It would probably be best to give you the $10.

So true.  James tells us that faith without works is dead.  Paul tells us that no matter what we have, if we don't have love, it is worth nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.43

57 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

The action is the result of God's love overflowing from us. Some verses....

No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. ....And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us.(1 John 4:12, 16-19)

God's love is the natural outflowing of God's love for us. It is not a "forced" action, but one that comes naturally through us. Both Religious and non religious people can feel a certain way about people, and they can treat people in a loving way, But this is not God's love flowing through us. It is not agape Love but Phileo(brotherly love). Agape Love is the New commandment of Jesus, To love one another as he loved us (sacrificially). It is the last step in our sanctification according to 2 Peter 1:5-7 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness (philadelphia); and to brotherly kindness charity (Agape).

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. (Romans 12:9)

Love must be sincere (without dissimulation) Thus it is tied to the Truth. Love that tolerates wickedness is not Love instead we must speak the Truth in Love (Eph. 4:15) And vice versa Love the Truth(2 thess 2:10) To abhor Evil is to love someone at times, Tough love as we call it these days. For example, an addict will ask you for a "loving" handout, But you are merely enabling their wicked addiction if you do so....

I Don't know about you, But I could write about this topic for days, and still not explain the immensity of His Love for us.

Great topic. 

• Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1