Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Paul told us this: 

No, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head." Rom 12:20 RSV 

Would you say love is how we treat people or is it how we feel about people? Please explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Would you say love is how we treat people or is it how we feel about people? Please explain.

           love is how we treat people
good intentions/feelings just helps us feel good
treating people good feels good and  helps them feel good

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

"if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head." Rom 12:20 RSV 

Would you say love is how we treat people or is it how we feel about people? Please explain.

God's Love is like a spring of water in a desert. When the tribulations of life come the sources of water in the desert dry up, the brooks and streams cannot flow in the harsh dryness. But the Love of God comes from within the person and never dries up, and refreshes both friend and foe. God's love overflows from our soul and reaches to others, even to 0our enemies. To answer your question, We Love, because he first loved us, in that while we were yet enemies, he died for us. Thus we love not out compulsion  or command, but out of a heartfelt desire to see others experience the Love of God, including our enemies. 

  • Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dhchristian said:

God's Love is like a spring of water in a desert. When the tribulations of life come the sources of water in the desert dry up, the brooks and streams cannot flow in the harsh dryness. But the Love of God comes from within the person and never dries up, and refreshes both friend and foe. God's love overflows from our soul and reaches to others, even to 0our enemies. To answer your question, We Love, because he first loved us, in that while we were yet enemies, he died for us. Thus we love not out compulsion  or command, but out of a heartfelt desire to see others experience the Love of God, including our enemies. 

Does love require action?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both

How we feel about them influences how we treat them, and vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Does love require action?

I'd say that Christian love requires an action, be it doing something for somone or just praying for them, that is love in action.

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

Both

How we feel about them influences how we treat them, and vice versa.

Yes, but;
How I have felt about some was not necessarily how I treated them.
I do not always 'treat' the ones I love as I could/should.
Like wise, I have treated some I didn't like as though I loved them.
(It was the love of Christ in me, and not my 'feelings' of love.
Obedience vs desire.....
 

  • Brilliant! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd describe love as something that needs to be grown, and practiced in order to be grown. So a starting basis of wanting to love others, tempered with loving actions, slowly growing into having that love in a more sincere, non-action way. Perhaps with less time needed in order for that love to grow as more experience is gained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I'd say that Christian love requires an action, be it doing something for somone or just praying for them, that is love in action.

There would probably be times when love requires action. I think one of the New Testament writers addresses that. If you need $10, and I have $10 to spare, I can give you the $10, or I can pray for you. It would probably be best to give you the $10.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

There would probably be times when love requires action. I think one of the New Testament writers addresses that. If you need $10, and I have $10 to spare, I can give you the $10, or I can pray for you. It would probably be best to give you the $10.

So true.  James tells us that faith without works is dead.  Paul tells us that no matter what we have, if we don't have love, it is worth nothing.

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...