Sower

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I have not thought of SR-71's in years. We had those and U2' s at Osan Air Base, Korea. I get decent care at VA. When people tell me "Thank you for your service" - I say "You're welcome to my service".  That there are fellow-veterans who disagree on things is nothing new.

Oh, and I like the thread about the Mouse.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, DustyRoad said:

Tell that to the VA. I particularly enjoy how knowing that I'm destitute, homeless, and hours away from the nearest VA facility, they continue to harangue me about $12.00 they claim I owe them from my days in Southern CA. I found their "primary care" to be fascinating! I received notices reminding me of how valuable their health care was, you know.  

I particularly enjoyed how I never saw my primary care physician for the two years (or so) the VA maintained that façade with me. Whenever it's necessary for me to make the hour and a half journey to the VA hospital I have to secure an automobile for the trip (it's a long walk, brother). I tried and tried and tried, but never was able to secure an appointment with my primary care physician. It's tough driving around the state when you don't own the car you're using and you don't have a penny to put into the tank, you know?

The final straw arrived when the VA kept sending me letters saying I must schedule a follow-up appointment with a doctor I'd never seen before. I called them, cut off all pretense with them, and now receive help from New Mexico Medicaid.

Want to give me a hard time about having no money and relying upon the charity of others? By all means, @Sower, carry on! I've received worse.

I feel your pain brother. As a combat veteran myself, a retired maintenance supervisor at a major VAMC, I'm well aware of your situation, what you have to go through, the attitudes of many of the people whom work there, your feelings and care you received at VA Hospitals. Even though qualified and having worked and retired from there, I would not sign up for VA care myself. 

As a former maintenance supervisor, with anything broken from air conditioning for CT Scans to MRI'S to computer rooms to operating rooms, to Radiation Therapy, to any type of support equipment; patients can not get their medical attention they need and deserve, and that treatment or testing is delayed or canceled. The system has so much red tape and whoops to jump through; constantly fighting with the AFGE union about working conditions, break times and many things that interfered with the fastest and best means to restore those services to patients. I often found myself in hot water requiring my staff to work through break times, lunch times, over time, call backs at any day or hour needed; and I'll compensate them later or give them the time off. 

The attitude of many was "the VA owes me" and I'm there for myself. This attitude is further promoted by hiring practices that focus on not the quality, background, education and experience of an employee, but your annual performance evaluation included what you accomplished with diversity. The AFGE unions function is and was to handcuff the fastest and best means to provide timely and quality care; by demanding, filing grievances, cease and desist letters, etc., etc. for the benefit of the employee and not the veterans immediate needs and services. 

The higher a person in the food chain, the more political and self centered is seems to become [a personal observation]. I was flustered by the system and thought about going elsewhere many times. Many good people work at the VA's, but many of them have their hands tied by red tape, or have the attitude. I often use to think; what program does the government run that is successful? I'm so sorry about the care you and most others receive from an inefficient healthcare system.

A positive is; they have the very best and up to date medical equipment in the world, and the very best doctors available in the world, associated with the top notch medical schools on the planet.

I wish I could apologize for the entire VA system and change things. I do believe they are striving to make improvements through the red tape

God bless you DustyRoad

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

6 hours ago, DustyRoad said:

Tell that to the VA. I particularly enjoy how knowing that I'm destitute, homeless, and hours away from the nearest VA facility, they continue to harangue me about $12.00 they claim I owe them from my days in Southern CA. I found their "primary care" to be fascinating! I received notices reminding me of how valuable their health care was, you know.  

I particularly enjoyed how I never saw my primary care physician for the two years (or so) the VA maintained that façade with me. Whenever it's necessary for me to make the hour and a half journey to the VA hospital I have to secure an automobile for the trip (it's a long walk, brother). I tried and tried and tried, but never was able to secure an appointment with my primary care physician. It's tough driving around the state when you don't own the car you're using and you don't have a penny to put into the tank, you know?

The final straw arrived when the VA kept sending me letters saying I must schedule a follow-up appointment with a doctor I'd never seen before. I called them, cut off all pretense with them, and now receive help from New Mexico Medicaid.

Want to give me a hard time about having no money and relying upon the charity of others? By all means, @Sower, carry on! I've received worse.

God bless you and thank you for your service.  I'm glad you're getting some help from New Mexico.

Sower, thanks for starting the thread, and thanks for your service. Dusty, thanks for yours.

I did nothing on Veterans Day but get in a heated discussion on another board. Local restaurants had free food for vets, but lines are always so long.

I had a cool Air Force cap, gave it to a Nazarene girl who wants to be a Chaplain in the Air Force. FORMALITIES like college and Seminary will have to be dealt with first.

So I am driving from Homestead AFB to San Antonio to go to OTS.  I see a guy hitch-hiking, his hair barely grow in' out, I knew He must have just got out of service. He was a Seal, showed me a Bronze Star.

He had 

JUMPED ON A GRENADE in Viet Nam.

His unit behind a circle of sandbags, VC got a grenade in there. He took a sandbag in one hand, his helmet in the other, put them both under him - woke up 2 days later at a hospital in the Phillipines.

When I saw him he was just a hitch-hiker.

Jumped on a grenade.

His guys won the day. He had some scars on his gut, but was totally OK.

To me, that takes guts. Jumpin' on a grenade.

Edited by Buddy D. Mouse
Typo
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

Please be civil to one another. Any further attacks will result in the poster being removed from this thread.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

19 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Even though qualified and having worked and retired from there, I would not sign up for VA care myself. 

Chicken!
I can say it has improved tremendously here in central Texas. I have a primary care physician now.
They have excellent eye doctors, private contractors. I also have Medicare,
so between the two, I have a good chance  for an appointment.
This facility is huge, Audie Murphy, serving many vets, here in military city USA, San Antonio.
Right next door is the University Hospital, where the new wanna be doctors/students 
can walk through corridors straight into the VA. We provide the body and illnesses for them to study.
But it's the Lord who heals.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

ROMANS 12:1 I beseech you therefore brethren by the mercies of GOD that you present your bodies ---A LIVING SACRIFICE---holy acceptable unto GOD which is your reasonable service --12:2--and be not ---CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD--- but be you transformed by the renewing of your mind ---THAT YOU MAY PROVE---what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD 

2 CORINTHIANS 5:9 wherefore we labor that whether present or absent we may be ---ACCEPTED OF HIM---

HEBREWS 13:15 --BY HIM--therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to GOD continually that is the fruit of our lips giving thanks to HIS name 

EPHESIANS 5:20 giving thanks always for all things unto GOD and THE FATHER in the name of our LORD JESUS CHRIST

LUKE 9:55 but HE turned and rebuked them and said you know not what manner of spirit you are of --9:56--for THE SON OF MAN is not come to destroy mens lives but to save them and they went to another village

ROMANS 8:2 for the law of the spirit of life in CHRIST JESUS hath made me free from the law of sin and death

*******PSALM 103:2 bless THE LORD o my soul and forget not ---ALL HIS BENEFITS*******

JEREMIAH 18:10 if it do evil in MY sight that it obey not MY VOICE then I will repent of the good wherewith I said I would benefit them

LUKE 8:21 and HE answered and said unto them MY mother and MY brethren are these ---WHICH HEAR THE WORD OF GOD AND DO IT---

LOVING THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

10 minutes ago, Sower said:

Chicken!
I can say it has improved tremendously here in central Texas. I have a primary care physician now.
They have excellent eye doctors, private contractors. I also have Medicare,
so between the two, I have a good chance  for an appointment.
This facility is huge, Audie Murphy, serving many vets, here in military city USA, San Antonio.
Right next door is the University Hospital, where the new wanna be doctors/students 
can walk through corridors straight into the VA. We provide the body and illnesses for them to study.
But it's the Lord who heals.

Perhaps I should have been more specific and not stated what I said in general terms implying all VA'S. I based my observations and opinions on where I worked, other VA facilities I visited for official functions, and media reports. I'm tickled to death [hopefully not literally] the system is improving and there are some fine VA'S around the country. I may be stepping on some toes when I say; veterans programs, treatment and assistance should be the top priority in funding, care and attention over any type of welfare or social assistance program. 

I'm grateful you're getting the medical attention / treatment you've earned!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I am thankful to and for the many women and men that make military service to the USA citizenry their life's pursuit.  For me to say so is not an obligatory phrasing. It is a simple thanks, not needing great analysis.

In my recent days travel I stopped at a  McDonald's deep rural Georgia I was truly out of my element truck drivers local working poor and some USA military in fatigues were all lined up to get something off the  $1 , $2, or $3  menu selection- which was sparse indeed.All while I order us  double fish filays and large fries. A  trucker turned to me  as we awaited out food to be set on the counter and in a half a toothed mouth said, "I'm a bad man" and he smiled real big. I responded with a large smile myself, there is no such thing as ab d trucker, you all work way to hard to be called bad. He came back staring with a funny in my face expression pointing upward to his chin, "You just met him".  Driving breaking down loads at each stop, wow way hard. He told me he just drove never broke down loads that was  for (unintelligible)! About that time his $1 item came. He said I am poor and good for nothing, I'm bad.

As I looked around all the joking going on, and there was much, was about ordering the 1, 2, and 3 dollar items; including the neatly attired armed forces. Even the help mopping the floor joined in the joking about it. I noticed one in military uniform must have been all of 4'10" of female  and I wondered  about height standards today, do they exist?  I also wondered why all the military way out here in no man's land Georgia? Must be a base around close by I guess. Seemed like it would be  "crappy" duty  out there, even in the USA. 

I spent some time in prayer for their well being and gave thanks to God for them. I also prayed for the road safety of the trucker drivers and the funny guy that occupied some of my time on the road at that McDs. When I give "thanks for your service" I do not use that phrase, for I am giving thanks to God  and thinking may God protect you, as I do give my personal thanks.

Thank be to God for the individuals that serve others, even to the point of giving total risk of their own life as they do so.