What Was The Point In Animal Sacrifice?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Iv been thinking about animal sacrifice in the Old Testament and just wanted to see if my thinking here is correct.

Of course animal sacrifice doesn’t save anyone, only Jesus does. So it raises the question, what was the whole point of it?

I know animal sacrifice was like a pointer and foreshadow of Jesus, but I see this more as a secondary reason for animal sacrifice. The main reason was that in order for God to dwell among his people, they had to be spiritual clean, this does not take away sin, but it legally means that God can be around them. So in short the animal sacrifice is about a persons acceptability around God, Jesus was about the removal of sin.

Is this correct? If so, why didn’t Jesus come earlier? So animal sacrifice didn’t have to happen at all.

Thanks 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,272
  • Content Per Day:  1.73

The OT system was about obedience. One obeyed the  complex OT laws about behaviour, food and clothing etc and also obeyed the religious rituals. These stressed he importance of being ritually clean from anything that was classed as unclean or inpure. 

It was costly in time and in animals to be ritualy clean. As one had to wash oneself, the cloths being worn spend the day away from ones work, family etc and sacrifice an animal.

Why an animal?

It taught that it was costly in terms of the value of the animal, in terms of a life being taken and because of the consquence of not being ritually clean. That is separation from God and from his people.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Who me has the right of it. The length of time in which it was a practice helps drive home the importance, too. Something that was done for many, many generations isn't easily forgotten. Another reason why Jesus didn't come sooner is that there were prophecies that needed to be made and prophecies that needed to come to pass between the time animal sacrifice was instituted and the time of Jesus. Nothing in the Bible explicitly says this, but the language of the Romans was very widespread at the time and occupied a role similar to English in the modern day. Having a common language across a wide area contributed to the spread of the Gospel once it was written.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

41 minutes ago, Open7 said:

The main reason was that in order for God to dwell among his people, they had to be spiritual clean, this does not take away sin, but it legally means that God can be around them

I’ve heard this all my life but never understood it because Satan was going into God’s presence, and Christ was God walking among imperfect humans.

• Praise God! 1

This has sparked another question for me.

If the sacrifice offerings made them acceptable before God, what benefit does this bring them? Can they live in Israel near the tabernacle? Or something similar? What do they get out of it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Hebrews 9:22 (KJV) And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Matthew 26:28 (KJV) For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Revelation 12:11 (KJV) And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

1 Peter 1:19 (KJV) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

The very first instance of the shedding of blood God performed; when He made coverings of animal skin to "cover" Adam & Eve when they committed the first sin. Most likely the Lord used a sheep. The shedding of blood was symbolic of faith and looking forward in time to when Christ would shed His blood for the entire world, once and for all. The shedding of blood was symbolic, ceremonial and temporary for believers until the finished work of Christ on the cross to cover the remission [expiation] of sins. 

In Old Testament times, people were saved just like today, having faith and belief in God.

Romans 4:3 (KJV) For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

The animal blood was a temporary atonement to cover sins until Christ's work on the Cross.

The benefit was; they were covered by the blood of the Lamb as were are today. The 'Law' became of no effect after the resurrection of Christ. Christ at His death descended into the Paradise side of Hades and lead captivity, captive. Meaning He cleaned out the Paradise side of Hades [Abraham's bosom] and lead them to Heaven. The torment side of Hades still remains holding prisoners captive until the Great White throne judgment.

Ephesians 4:8 (KJV) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

That's how I interpret scripture, hope it answered your question.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

6 hours ago, Open7 said:

Iv been thinking about animal sacrifice in the Old Testament and just wanted to see if my thinking here is correct.

Of course animal sacrifice doesn’t save anyone, only Jesus does. So it raises the question, what was the whole point of it?

I know animal sacrifice was like a pointer and foreshadow of Jesus, but I see this more as a secondary reason for animal sacrifice. The main reason was that in order for God to dwell among his people, they had to be spiritual clean, this does not take away sin, but it legally means that God can be around them. So in short the animal sacrifice is about a persons acceptability around God, Jesus was about the removal of sin.

Is this correct? If so, why didn’t Jesus come earlier? So animal sacrifice didn’t have to happen at all.

Thanks 

If enough is eliminated from Bible history, Jesus would come to people who've not had any pictures or prophesying about Him.

• Praise God! 1

3 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Hebrews 9:22 (KJV) And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Matthew 26:28 (KJV) For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Revelation 12:11 (KJV) And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

1 Peter 1:19 (KJV) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

The very first instance of the shedding of blood God performed; when He made coverings of animal skin to "cover" Adam & Eve when they committed the first sin. Most likely the Lord used a sheep. The shedding of blood was symbolic of faith and looking forward in time to when Christ would shed His blood for the entire world, once and for all. The shedding of blood was symbolic, ceremonial and temporary for believers until the finished work of Christ on the cross to cover the remission [expiation] of sins. 

In Old Testament times, people were saved just like today, having faith and belief in God.

Romans 4:3 (KJV) For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

The animal blood was a temporary atonement to cover sins until Christ's work on the Cross.

The benefit was; they were covered by the blood of the Lamb as were are today. The 'Law' became of no effect after the resurrection of Christ. Christ at His death descended into the Paradise side of Hades and lead captivity, captive. Meaning He cleaned out the Paradise side of Hades [Abraham's bosom] and lead them to Heaven. The torment side of Hades still remains holding prisoners captive until the Great White throne judgment.

Ephesians 4:8 (KJV) Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Thanks so much this gives me something to think about. Blessings

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

2 hours ago, Open7 said:

Thanks so much this gives me something to think about. Blessings

My pleasure. But don't accept anyone's word on scripture, verify what is preached and said with the Bible yourself.

Acts 17:11 (KJV) These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.  [emphasis added]

God Bless...

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

On 11/12/2019 at 12:08 PM, Dennis1209 said:

Amen, this is correct.