Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Anyone interested in a serious Soapbox debate on the "Gap Theory"? That is that Genesis 1:1 through Genesis 1:2 are distinguished and separate from the six day creation week starting in Genesis 1:3. I ask that you know your Bible well and can provide scriptural support, have a basic understanding of different Hebrew words used and there precise meanings, for words like 'created' [L. Ex nihilo, H. bara ] and 'made' [H. asah]. I would represent the side that the earth and cosmos were already in existence sometime prior to Genesis 1:3, and existed prior to the beginning of the six day refashioning week. To avoid confusion and for clarity, I'd like to restrict this discussion to a maximum of myself and just TWO others.

If interested let me know, I'll PM George and request a Soapbox debate. I think a respectful debate at a minimum, will cause us to delve deeper into the Bible and interpret exactly what is being conveyed to us, and we may gain more clarity of what God's word actually says.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

and existed prior to the beginning of the six day refashioning week.

I'm not inclined to debate with you, Dennis, but I have to LTM at any agenda to have "refashioning" replacing "creation" in exegeses of biblical theology.

* LTM = Laugh To Myself (not at you, but at the agenda framed, Dennis)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

For me the discussion on the gap theory would be a futile discussion. The reason being is that I believe in a literal interpretation of Scripture. When God says he created in 6 days and rested on the 7th I believe they are literal days. God does not use metaphors, word pictures or anything to give any reason why it would not be literal days. I find it interesting that many times Christian's try to find some spiritual meaning in something God says when in reality they should just read God's Word at face value. God is a literal God and when he does speak in word pictures and such there is no question that He is. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,069
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

12 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Anyone interested in a serious Soapbox debate on the "Gap Theory"? That is that Genesis 1:1 through Genesis 1:2 are distinguished and separate from the six day creation week starting in Genesis 1:3. I ask that you know your Bible well and can provide scriptural support, have a basic understanding of different Hebrew words used and there precise meanings, for words like 'created' [L. Ex nihilo, H. bara ] and 'made' [H. asah]. I would represent the side that the earth and cosmos were already in existence sometime prior to Genesis 1:3, and existed prior to the beginning of the six day refashioning week. To avoid confusion and for clarity, I'd like to restrict this discussion to a maximum of myself and just TWO others.

If interested let me know, I'll PM George and request a Soapbox debate. I think a respectful debate at a minimum, will cause us to delve deeper into the Bible and interpret exactly what is being conveyed to us, and we may gain more clarity of what God's word actually says.

I'm sorry but a strict adherence to the text and obedience to God's Word

2 Cor 10:5

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
KJV

leaves one with only one conclusion >no gap< … so gap is imagination and without textual support.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I have heard this theory over the years and one can 'imagine' that it is so, especially when desiring to fit it in with other doctrinal notions.

However, I don't see where the Lord reveals in other places in the word, things that reenforce that notion.

This is the Scripture that I have seen used as evidence.

Jer. 4:23    I looked on the earth, and behold, it was 1a formless and void;

And to the heavens, and they had no light.

24  I looked on the mountains, and behold, they were aquaking,

And all the hills 1moved to and fro.

25  I looked, and behold, there was no man,

And all the abirds of the heavens had fled.

26  I looked, and behold, 1the afruitful land was a wilderness,

And all its cities were pulled down

Before the LORD, before His fierce anger.

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

It is an interesting idea, the gap one. However, when did God create time? Maybe that would be more in order since to proclaim words in Hebrew and their meanings seems somewhat subordinate to the reality of time as a measurement.

If God in His Eternal Form was traveling the interstellar places He might well have chosen something that He originally brought into existence and decided on some 'modifications'. The sons of god shouted for joy according to Job - so they would have been with Him at the time He decided to create TIME. And 'start the clock' for an idea He had. The time constraint is important because all the 'new order' relied on it so much. All the cycles had to be thought of as well as the idea...  hey, I got a Heavenly Family, I'd like to make an human one as well. So I need time for this new Idea, since they will be time-based. This is because I HAVE A PLAN for my earthly family to subdue my earthly creation and spread Eden all over it.

Well, we know that not all the sons of God liked that idea, so we have an ever accelerating travesty of corruption that was the result of fallen heavenly beings giving humans some great ideas about how to exterminate themselves.

So to debate idea is OK, but I think debating the best way to end this miasma of nastiness might also be in order. Debating gap will not bring the kingdom to absolute fruition in any meaningful way.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Well, we know that not all the sons of God liked that idea, so we have an ever accelerating travesty of corruption that was the result of fallen heavenly beings giving humans some great ideas about how to exterminate themselves.

All the sons of God at this time were on board at day four all the way through day seven:

Gen 2:1-3

2 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
KJV

unless your a proponent of God blessing satan's rebellion, lie, evil....

6 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

Quote from me by enoob57: ..not all the sons of God liked that idea

Past tense. After it was created they did not ALL like the idea.

Furthermore, Job tells us that God did not trust His holy ones... even though they 'shouted for joy..' apparently they did not ALL enjoy it..

Edited by Justin Adams

1 minute ago, Justin Adams said:

Past tense. After it was created they did not ALL like the idea.

Then we are of the same mind that on the seventh day all created beings and things were as God intended thus the blessing and sanctified aspect were upon all?

8 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

unless your a proponent of God blessing satan's rebellion, lie, evil....

That is an entirely unnecessary thing to say.