• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 11/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, Dennis1209 said:

Anyone interested in a serious Soapbox debate on the "Gap Theory"? That is that Genesis 1:1 through Genesis 1:2 are distinguished and separate from the six day creation week starting in Genesis 1:3. I ask that you know your Bible well and can provide scriptural support, have a basic understanding of different Hebrew words used and there precise meanings, for words like 'created' [L. Ex nihilo, H. bara ] and 'made' [H. asah]. I would represent the side that the earth and cosmos were already in existence sometime prior to Genesis 1:3, and existed prior to the beginning of the six day refashioning week. To avoid confusion and for clarity, I'd like to restrict this discussion to a maximum of myself and just TWO others.

If interested let me know, I'll PM George and request a Soapbox debate. I think a respectful debate at a minimum, will cause us to delve deeper into the Bible and interpret exactly what is being conveyed to us, and we may gain more clarity of what God's word actually says.

Hi,

My own two bits worth - No interest here. Been there done that long ago. Now find all those various rabbit trails to be just just, rabbit trails, diversions through the briar patch just  to end up in a rabbit warren hole with the rabbit family.

To me such stuff is just another tar baby. I'll leave them on the fence rail and pass them  by; but hey, have yourself some fun with it if you desire.

My sense is that  my own free time though almost unlimited now is still too valuable to engage people on their soapboxes on most anything. I'd rather just read the word, be led by the Holy Spirit, and join in praying one for the other so that each  and all are blessed by God.

God bless 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 11/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, Dennis1209 said:

the "Gap Theory"?

Hi again, Just a little further thought and  personal "opinion"; The Gap Theory is not a theory at all it is a speculation or an imagining maybe, but not theory.

"theory 

• n.
    A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.
  • n.
    The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice.
  • n.
    A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

P.S. By the way, what is this light? It's not the sun and moon listed in Genesis 1: 14-18.

There are several good possibilities:  The Shekiniah glory of God, Jesus the Light of the world.  My choice is 2 Cor 4:4 - in whose case the god of this world has  blinded the minds of the unbelieving that they may not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ who is the image of God.

Of course should never  limit God o one correct interpretation.

love, peace and joy

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 11/12/2019 at 4:35 PM, Dennis1209 said:

Anyone interested in a serious Soapbox debate on the "Gap Theory"?

47 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

My own two bits worth - No interest here.

I don't even feel qualified for debating, and didn't read except for the first and most recent post on this. My personal interest of study is dispensations and it seems to line up accordingly. So, there does appear to be an age sequence between Genesis 1:1-2. Whether that means or implies Gap Theory, I've no clue. 

Wait a minute. I just checked and scanned a little search on the topic. There's several coinciding and differing views on it, so at my sleep-deprived state, posting four or five brief opening statements may not be of any real particular interest to anyone. They probably have been copy/pasted previously, so I'll bow out now.  

14 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi again, Just a little further thought and  personal "opinion"; The Gap Theory is not a theory at all it is a speculation or an imagining maybe, but not theory.

"theory 

• n.
    A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.
  • n.
    The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice.
  • n.
    A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.

Just a brief comment here, and I'm not coming back for any quotes or responses on this thread. I've always felt that God's creation, plans, and purposes were beyond our human comprehension of mathematical calculations. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I had a thought....gee wiz.

:-)

If I were to tell a story about going on a journey, I might start with.

Sentence 1. I went on a journey.

Then the following sentences would describe that journey.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,445
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

33 minutes ago, omega2xx said:

There are several good possibilities:  The Shekiniah glory of God, Jesus the Light of the world.  My choice is 2 Cor 4:4 - in whose case the god of this world has  blinded the minds of the unbelieving that they may not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ who is the image of God.

Of course should never  limit God o one correct interpretation.

love, peace and joy

That's what I strongly consider.

41 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

That's what I strongly consider.

Great minds think alike.  :)

Love, peace and joy

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's approach this topic from a different angle and progress backwards shall we?

Was there any death in the world before Adam sinned? Simple enough, it's either a yes or a no...

Did Adam come from 'seed' and grow and mature?

Can anything be grown in the sterile soil of say, Mars?

Edited by Dennis1209

21 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Let's approach this topic from a different angle and progress backwards shall we?

Was there any death in the world before Adam sinned? Simple enough, it's either a yes or a no...

Not quite a simple as you want to make it.  Since the Bible is silent on the question, another answer is "we don;t know."  Another answer is "probably not."  It is unlikely death woud happen in a very good place.

Did Adam come from 'seed' and grow and mature?

The Bible clearly give the source of Adam::  Gen 1:27--the origin of his and man's invisible attributes; Gen 2:7 - The origin of Adam's visible attributes.

Can anything be grown in the sterile soil of say, Mars?

Irrelevant, Genesis is about earth.  If nothing can grow in sterile soil, the soil on earth was not sterile.

Love peace and joy

45 minutes ago, omega2xx said:

It is relevant, apples to oranges; Mars soil is sterile is an example that nothing can grow in its soil, but why?

49 minutes ago, omega2xx said:

Irrelevant, Genesis is about earth.  If nothing can grow in sterile soil, the soil on earth was not sterile.

You are making my point. Adam was created with the 'appearance' of age, as were the animals and plants. So it stands to reason everything else that was 'made' in the Garden of Eden had the appearance of age; like trees with tree rings inside indicating their growth seasons. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

To sustain what was made [trees & plants], the soil had to be fertile. How does fertilization of the soil occur for the life cycle? Things must die first over a period of time and become food [top soil] for micro organisms and insects to survive, reproduce, aerate, cycle and then become an ecology to support plant life, therefore all life. A seed must first die before it can germinate and grow. 

Therefore; it seems apparent death had to preexist to support life for the six day creation. Physical human death entered the world when Adam sinned for him and all his future prodigy. 

If the above assumptions are accurate and correct; then it gives a different interpretation. How do you disagree?