• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

On 11/16/2019 at 11:52 AM, JTC said:

Have you heard of Hippocrates, the father of medicine? He lived around the time Paul wrote the epistles.

I dont know where you got your information, but this is plainly untrue. Hippocrates lived centuries prior to the apostle paul. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 11/17/2019 at 9:12 PM, ayin jade said:

Hippocrates lived centuries prior to the apostle paul. 

Yes, you're right. I did a quick check on Hippocrates and his birth and death were in the BC years. I assumed he lived closer to Paul. Here is why.

I listened to a Mike Heiser podcast on those curious verses in Corinthians about women having to cover their heads in church. Heiser's main point was this is not curious at all given the state of medical knowledge concerning human reproduction. Heiser kept saying he knew this sounds absurd to his audience and it is absurd. None the less, the ancient peoples considered a woman's hair as part of her reproductive system. So to Paul for a woman to go into church with her head uncovered was like going in a church today with a g-string & 2 band-aides on top. To back himself up he said this idea of the hair being part of the reproductive system can be found in the writings of Hippocrates & Josephus.

I know it sounds crazy but they knew nothing of modern physiology. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

On 11/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, existential mabel said:

Hi JTC I did another thread and this book was mentioned and I thought, ok I will go have a quick peep and see what is out there first and so I checked what was being said about this book and straight away I decided it was not where my studies will stray and as to the other material you mentioned to avoid I stay away I did attempt to read the Koran once but felt troubled by it.

I have been reading the bible since May 14. I keep going through it and I have little interest in other books. I wanted to really know the bible first and then I can use this knowledge to sharpen my discernment.

Books that are extra to the bible like you say….and I am only too aware that I could get distracted and yes there some interesting books out there. and I am Very careful what I read, watch and listen to. As my friend says, garbage in garbage out.

Thankyou for taking the time to chat its always helpful and it helps me to re-affirm that I am on the right track

Reading the books that Yeshua and the apostles read can give you a deeper understanding when they quote them in their writings.

There is much good scholarship about this and it is worth studing to fill in some gaps. Remember, the church fathers referred a great deal to Enoch (first Enoch) and held him in very high regard. Later unfortunately, the church seems to have strip-mined all the supernatural stuff out of our teachings and translations and gone with Scofield, Darby and Augustinian doctrines.

Utilising Qumran the later commentaries and translations do a far better job with the Targums, the Septuagint and in some cases the original Masoretic texts. The Hebrew of the Tanakh has been well commented on by early church fathers and inter-testament Hebrew scholars. We have not studied this as we ought, so we only have a faint view of much of scripture. Even Greek poetry and Titan myths have found their way into our scriptures because they give us the CONTEXT for much of the way the early Hebrews lived and thought. They were well read and did not have TV...

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

5 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

They were well read and did not have TV...

I agree with everything Justin said, especially the last sentence. Along these lines, let's remember they didn't have sports yet, the way we do. So when men sat around together they usually discussed God. That was way better. We have lost so much.

• Well Said! 1