• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Hi Mabel, based on what this man says the 2 books, out there, called Jasher are both not the Jasher mentioned in the Bible, so I say don't waste your time on them.

However, I have often said I have nothing against reading ancient books in addition to the Bible. I still stand by that but I have some precautions and guidelines I follow, and you'd be wise to do so as well.

1. Don't read any of these other books until you know what the Bible says as well as what it doesn't say.

2. Be sure you keep up your daily Bible reading while reading other books.

3. Do not read books on other religions such as Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, nor any books that are against our God.

4. Remember these other books are not inspired like the Bible is. But occasionally one says something that's either true or useful to know. I do this because Paul was a highly educated man who obviously read many books in his life. Some of Paul's more difficult statements become easy to understand when you see where he got his ideas from. But again, don't place this stuff on the same level of being reliable as we do the Bible.

Here's another example. A year ago I read The Shepherd of Hermas, an ancient text that said many things that are silly to us with our level of science. However, The Shepherd of Hermas had much to say on anger which I believe is mostly true. In The Shepherd of Hermas anger is seen as a spirit and one that is not of God. Just yesterday I watched a Derek Prince video where he says anger is a demon. Especially when it controls you. Whether you consider anger an emotion or a spirit one thing is certain, anger usually gets us into trouble. It's bad.

Just be careful and follow my guidelines.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  0

Hi JTC I did another thread and this book was mentioned and I thought, ok I will go have a quick peep and see what is out there first and so I checked what was being said about this book and straight away I decided it was not where my studies will stray and as to the other material you mentioned to avoid I stay away I did attempt to read the Koran once but felt troubled by it.

I have been reading the bible since May 14. I keep going through it and I have little interest in other books. I wanted to really know the bible first and then I can use this knowledge to sharpen my discernment.

Books that are extra to the bible like you say….and I am only too aware that I could get distracted and yes there some interesting books out there. and I am Very careful what I read, watch and listen to. As my friend says, garbage in garbage out.

Thankyou for taking the time to chat its always helpful and it helps me to re-affirm that I am on the right track

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I'll be brief, Mabel.  These books, as so many others, are not the word of God, contradict the word of God, add to the word of God, and are not good for increasing one's faith and have no substance.

Yet there are those who swear by them, study them more than the Bible, and believe everything that is in the hook, line, and sinker.

I say flee from these books.  The devil is a poor imitator of reality.  He will try his best to convince the world that the unholy is the holy.  He is crafty.

Remember how he twisted the words of God with Eve in the beginning.  Anything he can do to take our eyes off of holy and inspired scripture - he will do it.

And what all of these books do is to introduce lies for people to mix in with the truth of the Bible.  I've tried to tell people about the books of Jasher for a long time.  Those who get it - get it.  Those who want it to be the truth - I can't crack their shell.

Stick with the Bible, Mabel.  It's the only way that you will recognize a lie.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

It's not inspired, and canon is closed with it's 66 Books as One, the Bible.

Falsely found books like "Jasher" and many other books like it try to capitalize on ignorance of the Bible. The book of Jasher is mentioned twice in the Word of God, and as he mentions, beyond this, we know little of that book.
The Enemy takes what is mentioned in the Word, and then pretends to find the same "book."
Yet it's contents, when tested against Scripture comes up contrary to God's Word. His Word NEVER changes.
Find any teaching, that changes our Lord's Word even one "little bit" and you have the "father or lies" in the works!  :o

The spokesperson in this video hits the nail on the head between the 4:16 - 9:13 time marks on these two false books of "Jasher."

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

46 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

I have been reading the bible since May 14.

Hi Mabel, back when I was reading the Bible about a yr I went to a Christian bookstore (no Internet for many decades to come :noidea:) but I bought a book called The First Days of Adam & Eve, or something like that. I knew in the bookstore it wasn't a true story but it was interesting. Well, my best friends in my church practically bit my head off. If I wasn't the same age as them they would have confiscated the book. To punish me I wasn't allowed to talk to them about the book. It was a very imaginative tale of Adam & Eve's first month in the real world. In this writer's mind there was no day and night in Eden. So when the first night came our hapless couple spent the night cold and awake in a cave. It seemed obvious to me this was a tale of pure fiction but it was written well. If you must read an ancient book I'd recommend 1 Enoch, there are 3. Don't even bother with 2 & 3 Enoch, but the 1st was is quoted by 2 or epistle writers. 1 Enoch was also in the caves of Qumran, it was very popular. The second half is what ancient peoples thought about the sun, moon and stars. It's either funny or pure nonsense. What makes it popular is the story of the Watchers or Son's of God. It expands on Genesis 6 vs 1 - 4. I believe that part. Maybe the angels shrunk down to 6' upon taking on human flesh, or maybe they used technology, they are super smart. Somehow they made human women have children who grew to be giants and who also broke every law God made. This is half the reason Paul won't allow women to uncover their heads in church. The next half is even stranger. Have you heard of Hippocrates, the father of medicine? He lived around the time Paul wrote the epistles. Believe it or not, in the writings of Hippocrates it says a woman's hair is part of her reproductive system. This is totally wrong but this is what they thought. They thought a woman absorbed a man's essence through her hair. I know, it's nuts. So in Paul's mind sitting in Church with your hair exposed was akin to her sitting there naked. This is why he said cover the head or cut the hair super short. To Paul it was a matter of respect towards God. .... You might as well read about the Watchers and what they did because this story isn't going away. Ever wonder why astrology is a sin? The watchers taught their women about it, God didn't plan on teaching us, not back then. The watchers are why Moses and his people had to kill every living thing in some cities but not others. God was wiping out all DNA of the watchers. The watchers, or their sin's the Nephilim were so evil they even made animals pregnant. The stories of ancient monsters, half man & half animal are probably true. The watchers & Nephilim are why God brought a flood on earth. Humans can be very evil but we're nothing compared to the Nephilim. ... All these stories raise some questions we just don't have the answers to, so don't expect them. If Enoch was a movie it would end with a big  ? on the screen. I tell you the truth Mabel man will never know everything about God, we are not capable of it. Nor does God want us to.

I also think the book of Jubilees is safe, but not as interesting. The Shepard of Hermes is good and informative. With the Shepard most of it is probably symbolic, such as the big white tower. Remember to not try to make literal sense out of ancient books. I mean who would have thought of checking in Hippocrates as to why Paul wanted a woman's hair hidden.

God Bless 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

4 hours ago, JTC said:

...but I have some precautions and guidelines I follow, and you'd be wise to do so as well.

1. Don't read any of these other books until you know what the Bible says as well as what it doesn't say.

2. Be sure you keep up your daily Bible reading while reading other books.

3. Do not read books on other religions such as Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, nor any books that are against our God.

4. Remember these other books are not inspired like the Bible is.

Pretty good guidelines for any Christian! :)

I would add after we have spent some time growing in the Lord and His Word rightly divided, I have no problem reading any other books like "Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, nor any books that are against our God" as we can see how they differ from Scripture. I've done this with some regularity over the years.

In doing so, it inspires us to pray for and reach out to those lost in these false religions, false books. And correct other Christians who at times fall prey to the aftermath of His misappropriated Word.

Many times I find myself speaking with those stuck in false religions or cults. My "knowing where they stand" in reading their various materials, and then refuting it with God's rightly divided Word "works" every time as we look to see God glorified.
We could do this for instance with the information presented in the video on what the Bible states, over what these false books of Jasher state.
I often see the thinking upon their faces as they mull over what the Real God has to say on the matter over the falsehoods that they believe. Other times, some get "angry" and occasionally even "flip out."
"Believe it or not" these are all good things, that can one day lead them to Salvation found only in Jesus Christ!
And by all means, pray for them and yourselves to have boldness to confront these many false ideologies in our day!

The reason for this is *His two edged sword that is sharper than any other has taken a whack at their various false beliefs, oftentimes convicts them of their sins, and has them thinking!

This being said, for those young in the faith, stay "far away" from false teachings, books, cults, and false religions, as they often times will deeply confuse you. Yet by all means pray for them!
As you continue to love God first, and grow in His Word, the confusion starts to cease, and we see those lost for who they truly are, bound for an eternal Hell, and in desperate need for our glorious Savior!

*Hebrews 4:12-16  For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (13) Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. (14) Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. (15) For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. (16) Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

22 hours ago, B3L13v3R said:

I would add after we have spent some time growing in the Lord and His Word rightly divided, I have no problem reading any other books like "Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, nor any books that are against our God" as we can see how they differ from Scripture. I've done this with some regularity over the years.

yes this is what i am hoping to get to

22 hours ago, B3L13v3R said:

In doing so, it inspires us to pray for and reach out to those lost in these false religions, false books. And correct other Christians who at times fall prey to the aftermath of His misappropriated Word.

and this is what i would like to get to also without being dogmatic

thanks JTC i am still finding that i want to stay in the bible which seems right at the moment

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

The Book of Jasher mentioned in the Bible was lost and has not survived to modern times. I do not give it any importance. 

• Thumbs Up 1