Revlori

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

Should a Christians outward appearance really matter today?

With all the latest fashions, low cut tops, high rise tops (belly shirts), skin tight jeans,spandex leggings, see through shirts, under garments exposed as some wear jeans around their knees. Both men and women wearing the same clothing, to tattoos and body piercings in every part of the body, to every color of hair and style that both men and women share. 

what does God's word say and Does this still apply today?

Deuteronomy 22:5 A woman should not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.

Does this mean woman can't have short hair or men long?

1 Corinthians 11:14-15 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

Should Christians take this verses to heart when they dress and want piercings or tatoos?

Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?” (1 Corinthians 3:16 )

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” (1 Corinthians 6:19)

“If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.” (1 Corinthians 3:17)

what is your take on this: Should a Christians outward appearance really matter today?

If It is yes, then how do you approach other Christians in this matter?

If no, don't it matter at all what a Christian looks like or wears?

Or do we leave this between our brothers and sisters in Christ and God and the Holy spirit? if we do, does this mean we don't say anything at all, or do We address this in a loving manner? 

Just curious on everyone's views about this subject...and what Christians really believe on how a Christian should present themselves.

Thanks for reading! God bless ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Revlori said:

1 Corinthians 11:14-15 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

This scripture has been used on occasion as a means to convince me that my appearance wasn't acceptable. I take no offense at all to it. Notice the Apostle Paul is expressing his personal opinion on the matter, and not an ordinance from the Lord. As a Roman citizen he probably wore his style according to their culture. 

I do understand the mention for decent and appropriate clothing. Not a fan of skinny jeans or stiletto heels. Too much makeup can look garish if overdone, and low top blouses are a bit revealing. Yet, judgement against it and those who prefer this manner of fashion have to be accepted as they are. 

It's an issue between the Lord and the individual. Notice the epistles call for modesty for women in particular. Sure, they still apply for today. I'm not arguing that. I just feel the Lord judges upon the heart as opposed to the outward. That's all that's worth mentioning. 

Here's a statement from our Saviour concerning the inward part of mankind. Please don't take this as a personal address to you or the topic. It's just an example for instance. I'm not going to quibble on taking verses out of context. That's easy to do and I'm not really interested in a debate. Thanks for your post. 

Matthew KVJ 23:26 26Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,381
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

It's an issue between the Lord and the individual. Notice the epistles call for modesty for women in particular. Sure, they still apply for today. I'm not arguing that. I just feel the Lord judges upon the heart as opposed to the outward. That's all that's worth mentioning. 

Here's a statement from our Saviour concerning the inward part of mankind. Please don't take this as a personal address to you or the topic. It's just an example for instance. I'm not going to quibble on taking verses out of context. That's easy to do and I'm not really interested in a debate. Thanks for your post. 

Matthew KVJ 23:26 26Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. 

I agree with this pretty strongly. Keep it decent, consider what it says to others about your faith, and consider how it interacts with local sentiments. If it's going to be divisive in whatever body of believers you're in it's best to reconsider it or find another church.

8 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

This scripture has been used on occasion as a means to convince me that my appearance wasn't acceptable. I take no offense at all to it. Notice the Apostle Paul is expressing his personal opinion on the matter, and not an ordinance from the Lord. As a Roman citizen he probably wore his style according to their culture. 

I do understand the mention for decent and appropriate clothing. Not a fan of skinny jeans or stiletto heels. Too much makeup can look garish if overdone, and low top blouses are a bit revealing. Yet, judgement against it and those who prefer this manner of fashion have to be accepted as they are. 

Thank you for your opinion,view and biblical stance my friend. I absolutely ment nothing personal, nor negative, nor offensive to anyone. If what was written remotely came across as anything other than just a debate of view I apologize. 

God bless

2 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I agree with this pretty strongly. Keep it decent, consider what it says to others about your faith, and consider how it interacts with local sentiments. If it's going to be divisive in whatever body of believers you're in it's best to reconsider it or find another church.

Thank you for your response, God bless ?

2 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

My take on the scripture is that we should listen to our conscience, and avoid legalism and judgement of others.

If we pray about it God will direct us. What others do is up to them and God. In all things of this nature.

Matthew 7:3-5 New International Version (NIV)

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Thank you for sharing your take, God bless ?

1 hour ago, Betha said:

What I see Mat 23v26 to show is BOTH an inner and outer state of acceptance.....NOT ONLY one OR the other. I am sure we all have things we could/should improve on !

Thank you for your response, God bless ?

1 hour ago, Betha said:

What I see Mat 23v26 to show is BOTH an inner and outer state of acceptance.....NOT ONLY one OR the other. I am sure we all have things we could/should improve on !

Thank you for your comment. It would seem to indicate this passage is addressing if the heart is defiled or unclean, the entirety of one's personhood is also the same. It's not pertaining to appearance at all. When Jesus spoke to the Pharisees, the manner of his words were primarily on spiritual matters. It was His point of view I was attempting to convey. I think we do need to accept people as they are and not how we personally feel they should look. That's pretty much it. Here's a hymn I'm very fond of. It was sung at the conclusion of each service as an alter call. 

Just As I Am 

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,

Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need in Thee to find,

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,

Just as I am, Thy love unknown
Hath broken every barrier down;
Now, to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,

Just as I am, of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

Edited by BeauJangles

39 minutes ago, Revlori said:

Thank you for your opinion,view and biblical stance my friend. I absolutely ment nothing personal, nor negative, nor offensive to anyone. If what was written remotely came across as anything other than just a debate of view I apologize. 

God bless

I take no offense whatsoever in this topic. An apology isn't necessary either, as it wasn't intended to address me personally. God bless you. :heart:

• Thanks 1

Allow me to make one more comment on the topic. The OP was making a valid point of view here. When one's undergarments are obviously showing whether woman or man, it's not in the best of taste. I've seen both on people's trousers and I'm not particularly fond of it. The same would apply to too much cleavage on blouses, or an over exposure of flesh on a man's tank top shirt. It's seems to be a bit showy and/or vain.

But if someone off the street came to church and went forward on an altar call, the Lord would accept their heart's plea. What happens as a manner afterward is strictly between them and the Saviour. Any loving minister would never tell them to go home and put on something decent to make them acceptable to God. I would cringe under these circumstances and politely excuse myself from the service. 

• Well Said! 1