• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

51 minutes ago, lovethelord said:

I agree. I work for a large healthcare group and one of our lead clinicians addressed a group of doctors at a meeting. He said that most patients are coming to the doctors for their knowledge and expertise to diagnose and give treatment hence is why he dresses in a nice dress shirt & tie everyday. He said that if he came to work dressed in a t-shirt and jeans he doubted he would get the same respect and trust from the patients. He then shared a story of a patient who commented negatively on his appearance when he came into work dressed casually.

I am sure I will get the "axe" for expressing a different point of view, but please allow me to make my case.

Once again, it depends upon the occasion. I fix computers; I go to the customer's home. I dress in shorts and thongs on my feet. Not a single customer has complained. In fact, I wind up praying with many of them before I leave. Why do I not dress the way I am "supposed" to dress? Because I am relatable. Because I have discovered that instead of appearing to be a professional computer expert, I am simply a person who goes to talk, share, discover, and be a human being who is just like them. It saddens me that so many think there is a must-dress way of life. Dress for the occasion, but we would be surprised how others view such an occasion. We are unwilling to change; we think there is some stone-hearted way that we must be "compelled" to dress like. I disagree, a lot. Would I go into a church wearing bathing trunks? No. I would be looked at and laughed at and probably discarded. But would I see an unbeliever the same way? No. In fact, I seem far friendlier to a drunk who comes into the church if I wear shorts than if I dressed impeccably. I dress to be authentic, not ritualistic. And if I disturb a brother because I come across to him as inappropriate, and he says to me, "You are inappropriate," I have been known to come dressed in a suit the following week to make him feel comfortable---and when I have, I would hear that very same brother tell me I went overboard. So I refuse to dress stoically about who I appear to be pleasing. We are just people---messy people---who if they dared, might remove their masks and let them be themselves. Yes, I dress for the occasion, but not to make myself appear to others who I am not. God bless you, sister. :)

btw, if you are pleased to dress the way you dress, and that is you at the heart-level, then that is how I will welcome you. Jesus did not dress in a suit; he dressed for the occasion that helped draw others to him so that His Gospel could be preached.

Edited by Coliseum

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, lovethelord said:

I agree. I work for a large healthcare group and one of our lead clinicians addressed a group of doctors at a meeting. He said that most patients are coming to the doctors for their knowledge and expertise to diagnose and give treatment hence is why he dresses in a nice dress shirt & tie everyday. He said that if he came to work dressed in a t-shirt and jeans he doubted he would get the same respect and trust from the patients. He then shared a story of a patient who commented negatively on his appearance when he came into work dressed casually.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and personal story,may God bless you ?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Coliseum said:

I am sure I will get the "axe" for expressing a different point of view, but please allow me to make my case.

Once again, it depends upon the occasion. I fix computers; I go to the customer's home. I dress in shorts and thongs on my feet. Not a single customer has complained. In fact, I wind up praying with many of them before I leave. Why do I not dress the way I am "supposed" to dress? Because I am relatable. Because I have discovered that instead of appearing to be a professional computer expert, I am simply a person who goes to talk, share, discover, and be a human being who is just like them. It saddens me that so many think there is a must-dress way of life. Dress for the occasion, but we would be surprised how others view such an occasion. We are unwilling to change; we think there is some stone-hearted way that we must be "compelled" to dress like. I disagree, a lot. Would I go into a church wearing bathing trunks? No. I would be looked at and laughed at and probably discarded. But would I see an unbeliever the same way? No. In fact, I seem far friendlier to a drunk who comes into the church if I wear shorts than if I dressed impeccably. I dress to be authentic, not ritualistic. And if I disturb a brother because I come across to him as inappropriate, and he says to me, "You are inappropriate," I have been known to come dressed in a suit the following week to make him feel comfortable---and when I have, I would hear that very same brother tell me I went overboard. So I refuse to dress stoically about who I appear to be pleasing. We are just people---messy people---who if they dared, might remove their masks and let them be themselves. Yes, I dress for the occasion, but not to make myself appear to others who I am not. God bless you, sister. :)

btw, if you are pleased to dress the way you dress, and that is you at the heart-level, then that is how I will welcome you. Jesus did not dress in a suit; he dressed for the occasion that helped draw others to him so that His Gospel could be preached.

Hi Coliseum,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. When I go to church I usually wear a dress or skirt, even knowing that most of the congregation and our Pastor dresses casually. I'm sure the way I dress is from my old school days when my parents had me dress up when going to church. I let my daughter wear her torn jeans and a t-shirt and don't have a problem with that.  When I posted earlier, I was actually thinking of Christians who wear very sexy clothing to church that just doesn't seem appropriate for the occasion. But then again, this is a good reminder for me that I shouldn't judge them. Maybe they were going somewhere special right after church.  

• Well Said! 1