• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

I apologize  for the Long story

I really don't like posting negative things. Especially on the forums. I have been denied my rights to disability accommodations from the beginning of the semester. I thought it got resolved because the school counselor did allow some accommodations. It was enough to get through the diagrams that I did not understand. Basically my instructor would erase or drastically change the electrical wiring diagram to where I would get lost. What I would have on paper would be scrambled. I was given a packet with the symbols on it and I managed to go from my traditional circuit symbols of PCB layouts to house wiring. I even managed to wire all my diagrams without flipping the breaker. Thats something very few of my classmates have pulled off. One person even brought a receptacle with black melted plastic to show me and my friend. Essentially there was no connection to ground and there was a major arc before the breaker flipped.

So, last Friday I was drawing my next diagram in my sketch book. I prefer paper that is a little thicker than printer paper when it comes to jell pens. The sketch books I use is student grade and is nothing compared to my mixed media paper but, its enough to prevent bleed through. My instructor has been getting into numerous problems with the PLC software and the expensive robot that is in the shop. The companies will not give our class the keys to the software that has been paid for. Essentially I feel like I have become a punching bag. I can handle moments of aggravation but, not insults like your "disability of autism does not exist." I am working with a program that is on it but, things have gotten a lot more complicated recently.

More than half the class are teenagers. So, when some one accidentally got into an adult webcam chat on FB messenger things started going down hill. I got asked a lot of personal questions even though I was on the other side of the room when my classmates were in the adult webcam. Apparently the other person did not know it was a group and quickly ended it. Blocked the guy of course. After telling them numerous times that I don't want to talk about this stuff I about lost it. Not only would they let up but, the questions got even more disturbing as I refused to answer them. After all the students left I told the instructor about it and that I was not having it. I did apologize the next day to him but, the look he gave me was like, "I can't blame you." I thought it settled down until more conversations were going on behind my back about me. My friend who I look up to as a motherly mentor even asked me why everyone thinks I am gay. I said a few things that may have gotten me into an even more difficult situation. I was trying to prove a point by explaining how I removed a lot of my artist friends due to their adult art of My Little Pony. When my instructor caught on he made statements I never thought he would say about me. Essentially he told me the reason this aggravates me is because I actually enjoy looking at this art and that it turns me on. 

So, when my teacher took it out on me last Friday I went to the counselors office. I had it! I told the counselor that I was not happy about my disability documents being rejected. I was essentially told I had to pay for an entirely new assessment of my disability. The program that I am in outside of this school is working on it and that will get resolved. However, I am not sure if I should take legal action if the harassment does not get resolved. The counselor assured me that it will be taken care of but, my teacher made it sound like that there will be retaliation for reporting the conversations that have been going on in the class. From what I understand of the title IX of harassment this is not legal. I think I just need to talk because it makes me emotionally sick to think that even the teacher makes me out to be perverted artist. Luckily my fursonia has not been made into a dirty object because if that was the case I would report this as harassment in writing to the school. No one does that to my OC.

Side Note

I know this is a difficult topic and I hope I was discrete enough with it. I just don't exactly know what to do on Monday. I would just really like to talk. If my teacher retaliates against me or worse harasses me further I don't know if I will be able to handle it the right way. I hope God intervenes and gives me the courage to leave the room. Basically my case worker has told me if things do get out of hand that I should leave the room because the teacher can't legally stop me. I hope this thread is allowed but, I will understand if it does get taken down.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

It's fine. This part of the forum is here for talking about problems and receiving guidance. Speaking as a disabled person I can relate to things not being set up for us. On that front I'd say keep on communicating with whatever staff will listen to you and be patient. There's often a lot of red tape and sluggishness over even very simple things.

As for the rest, people can be pretty vicious. Being disabled, different, and Christian all paint a target on you for harassment. Stick up for yourself and don't let it get to you, so much as you're able. From my own experience most kids tend to get bored when they can't get a reaction out of their targets. Your teacher is unfortunately right in that reporting these things can often aggravate the problem. It's not good and it's not fair but it's often the way it is in a classroom environment. Legally speaking harassment can be difficult to prove. If people know it's been reported and they don't get anything worse than a slap on the wrist it tells them that there are no real consequences and puts them in the mood for retaliation.

How many of these people do you have contact with outside of school? How many of them outside of the teacher really matter? How much longer do you need to be in that particular class and what are your options if you walk out? Personally I think the thing to do with the harassment is to just deny people the reactions they're fishing for, so long as it doesn't go any further than being on the verbal level. The benefits of the education you're getting outweigh the words of people you may well not have any meaningful contact with once you're done with school.

7 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

Stick up for yourself and don't let it get to you, so much as you're able. From my own experience most kids tend to get bored when they can't get a reaction out of their targets. Your teacher is unfortunately right in that reporting these things can often aggravate the problem. It's not good and it's not fair but it's often the way it is in a classroom environment. Legally speaking harassment can be difficult to prove. If people know it's been reported and they don't get anything worse than a slap on the wrist it tells them that there are no real consequences and puts them in the mood for retaliation.

I actually put up with the sexual harassment for a while. My teacher cannot legally retaliate. I am sure its under a different government regulation but, if this was an actual work site the employer would get in serous trouble for retaliating. Harassment is a big deal according to OSHA. Normally on a work site it gets resolved by a simple email from OSHA. In my case I got into trouble for attempting to resolve it myself. When I reported it to the counselor he informed me all a teenager had to do is mention the conversation. I would get into legal trouble for talking about My little pony rule 64 with a minor. When I said I removed those people in my life I was making a point that this does not interest me and the fact that I keep getting these questions about what turns me on makes me emotionally sick.

They are just lucky they did not make a dirty object out of my fursona. My fursona is a part of who I am but, in a metaphorical sense. Essentially making a dirty object out of him is not different then doing that with me in a story. I am not going to be the Horombay in the situation. I done nothing wrong and I won't take the bullet for a wrong that an under age teenager has done. I am 28 years old and I have almost nothing in my favor when it comes to a counter point. The counselor actually told me I should have informed him sooner. What makes this a lot more difficult is that the teacher had talked about his wife in a dirty joking manor and he too could get into trouble. Thats why it worries me that he will retaliate in this situation. I am literally the Horombay whoes child has fallen into my cage because some ones child supposedly knew no better.

On a positive note, I did get a phone call from the institute for autism that I am with. I was told to get a letter or documentation of my disability and that should resolve the accommodations problem. With any luck the counselor will come to my defense in the inappropriate conversations that have been taken place. Instead of anyone getting into legal trouble the situation will just fizzle out with a lecture to the entire class. I do apologize if I sound aggravated. I failed college three times because I was not allowed to use my learning methods that work. I taught myself the basics of embedded systems by fallowing along with YT tutorials and electronics books. Tech school is my last attempt at getting a job that will provide me a living. I can't let this slip through.   

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I'm glad you got that call. Some support will work nicely.

Now, I'm not sure if this is good advice, but... Be dismissive. They do it because they want a reaction. So don't give them one, shrug them off. Who gives a hoot what they think?

Don't be evasive, though. If they sense fear or think they can walk all over you, they will. I don't know if you have trouble with eye contact, but look them in the eyes and don't back up. Be direct as well. "I'm not going to talk about that," or, "Unless we have business, I'd really rather not speak with you" are good examples.

• Thumbs Up 1

Update

Another long story but, 

kind of a praise report worth sharing

I think I missed something incredibly important all the way from the beginning of this semester. Let me explain my fictional story (book series) first because thats kind of how I figured it out. My main Character had a severe injury when he was just a hatch-ling. His species of dragons are built for flying but, Timothy had to have his wings removed to save his life. I had this idea long before My Little Pony Friendship is Magic was ever thought of. I have writings that date back to 2009 to prove it as well. Tempest Shadow was not the inspiration for my main character.Tempest Shadow did spark a new idea that I desperately needed for the antagonist of my story. That is where it all hit me. Also keep in mind my OC Little Pebble 10 has a very different personality than Timothy my main Character in my book series. He is not comparable to a child even by a long shot.

Today when I went to school I tried to stay calm but, my teacher brought it all back up again. I was doing a lot of cleaning over the week end due to how my apartment is not livable with the mess it was in. I had my electronics lab picked up but, the rest of my apartment has been a disaster. My kitchen was crawling with gnats due to how I have been battling depression on and off and that affected my sleeping patterns. I cleaned my kitchen near the end of last week and got started on cleaning my sewing and needle craft area on the way into the week end. Sunday night I did work on one of the wiring diagram. I was having major problems understanding a 3-way switch that you use to have control of a light at the top and at the end of a stairwell or hallway. I ended up throwing together some makeshift parts that worked similar to what was in the diagram. After wiring it up I realized what I was doing wrong. I was trying to wire the light to the same switch as the home run which is not really possible. After wiring it correctly and setting my DC-power supply to 5v I managed to get the makeshift 3-way switches to work like they were supposed to.

.When it was at school when things did not go very smoothly. I was up late at night and into the next morning because I fell asleep really early in the day on Sunday. When I managed to fix my diagram before class started I could not figure out where in the packet I got it from. Nothing new because my teacher never labels anything with letters or numbers. After wiring it up on the studs and having the teacher inspect it while it was plugged into 115v ac I slowly realized I did one from the previous packet. My copy of what I thought was packet two was actually packet one. I wasted the entire time on a problem I already did. The teacher did not get angry with me like he did on Friday but, he was not happy about how far behind I was. Much less how far behind anyone was. Of course I was still not happy about the harassment I been given. Something was said however, that I really did not catch on until I woke up from my nap a little while ago. I got to thinking about Tempest shadow and her broken horn.

.Basically what my mentor said, was that I don't know how to keep my mouth shut sometimes. I think this might be why I ran into problems on another Christian forum. My mother describes it as unicorn farts. Funny story, we were at the SS office and she whispered to me that she farts unicorn dust. I was like, "you mean glitter?" I was not catching on for the longest time and she told me that she could fart unicorn dust and that would be no reason to go up to some one and talk about her magic farts. This problem is not really new for me but, I am trying to find a balance. Like I mentioned before my art and writing does not really make sense until you actually read the story. Basically I was using my disability and my fascinations as kind of an excuse. Yes, it takes a lot for me to figure things out. Especially when I can't adequately take notes from a lecture or know how to keep my questions simple. My mentor was not too happy with me because she offered to help me many times but, I allowed all this to cave in on me because of my pride. 

I missed the whole point of what the teacher was doing from the beginning. He was trying to illustrate just how hard things can be if you allow what your unable to do to explain who you are. I am still going to draw out my diagrams in vivid detail but, I am going to try harder to not be so knit picky with things like I have been. If I can make my diagrams not so vivid in detail that will be a major improvement. If I flip the breaker then I flip the breaker. Thats what its there for. Especially for a class learning how to do residential wiring. I figured all this out due to how I needed an antagonist for my story. I plan on having the opposite of my main character. Only he still does have some family that support him but, it will be the mistake of closing off from relationships that gets him into trouble. Thats what Tempest Shadow done but, of course I will make an entirely different back story due to obvious reasons. If I only go to those who want to remove my problems then I won't be learning anything. Basically I need to stop relying on the institute for autism. God provided me with a motherly mentor. Its about time I just admit it to myself that is who she is. I fought against this for a while because I am scared that she will break off our relationship just like my other friend did. Some differences in our beliefs came up and that made it harder for me to see what really was going on. Its really hard to forget what my other friend told me. That I was a complete waist of his time because I believed differently.

• 7 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 11/17/2019 at 3:28 AM, LittlePebble10 said:

I hope God intervenes and gives me the courage to leave the room. Basically my case worker has told me if things do get out of hand that I should leave the room because the teacher can't legally stop me. I hope this thread is allowed but, I will understand if it does get taken down.

Leaving the room is not what should be done, the teacher should support you and stop whatever is the issue.