Coliseum

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0

“Do this and thou shalt live," has been to us all, as for Israel, an impossible assignment and task [Leviticus 18:5]. “You be good, and if you’re good enough, I will give you life," says the Lord. “Keep My statutes and My commandments, and there’s no hell for you, no damnation for you, no judgment for you, no death awaiting you. You shall live, and live forever. This do and thou shalt live."

Why, bless your heart, the Lord God might as well have said to a paralyzed man: “Here, climb to the top of Mount Everest," and he can’t walk. He’s an invalid. The Lord God might as well say to a man who’s bankrupt, “Here, pay thy debts," and the man has not wherewithal to pay. He is bankrupt. He’s in poverty and in want.

Because of the frailty and weakness of human nature, the old covenant had these two weaknesses: first, it provided no moral, spiritual dynamic for the obedience to the law of God; and second, it offered no effective way for the expiation of the sins of the people when once they fell into disobedience.

So the Lord said: “That old covenant I’m going to fold up like a worn-out garment and cast aside. It’s useless. It doesn’t work. It doesn’t save men." So God says, “Behold, I’m going to make a new contract, a new covenant, a new pledge, a new agreement."

Well, how is it that God makes us anew in this new covenant? This is the way that He does it: He does it first in regeneration. Under the new covenant, the Spirit of God remakes us; He gives us a new heart, a new desire, a new love, a new affection. The old desire and the old affection is gone. “If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation; old things are passed away; all things have become new” [2 Corinthians 5:17]. That’s what God has done with our sins. He has blotted them out and taken them away, and we are free [John 8:34-36; Romans 8:2]. We just have a new affection, and a new gratitude, and a new love in our hearts.

Pastor Criswell

"But now hath He obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also He is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises." Hebrews 8:6. 

• This is Worthy 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

“If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation; old things are passed away; all things have become new” [2 Corinthians 5:17]. That’s what God has done with our sins. He has blotted them out and taken them away, and we are free [John 8:34-36; Romans 8:2]

oh praise God For making us new through our savior Jesus Christ and that only through him our sins are gone,washed away,completely forgiven. We should reflect upon this daily, and our joy be renewed.

Just a thought: what if with every new morning, we would look at our newness in Christ, wonder if we would do things differently? Maybe we should challenge ourselves and see.

God bless ?

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,900
  • Content Per Day:  3.26
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, Coliseum said:

Pastor Criswell

Ok, Coliseum, you enjoyed this person's thoughts but you didn't post any of your own thoughts.

Much gets said about the OT and the Law, but the thing is I wasn't raised by Judaisers so I haven't been "under the law" in that sense. The most I can do is recognise that there was a time when observance of the OT Law was required of Israel, and rejoice that indeed, now that God the Son has appeased God the Father on my behalf I don't have to try and appease Him by my works, so yes, we have a better covenant than Israel did.

• Well Said! 3

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99

Actually, mankind is right back in the Garden with the same two choices before him...,

The Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus (New Covenant),

or,

The law of sin and death (Old Covenant).

Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision... 

For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few. Matt 7:14 ESV

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

My Lord Jesus  stepped up understanding of the Law of Moses and writings of the Prophets to and for His audience during His presentation  called the sermon on the mount. By His own words, as recorded in the testimony within the book of Matthew, He made it clear he was not abolishing Law of Moses, but was fulfilling it, Jesus declared that not only were the physical manifestations of sin recorded against  a person, but also the thought. So that the act of murder and the thought of murdering were both unacceptable, both carried the same price to be paid.

Jesus did not abolish Law of Moses, nor the writings of the Prophets.  

---------

From the sermon on the mount: “Do not think that I came to do away with or undo the  Law [of Moses] or the [writings of the] Prophets; I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.  For I assure you and most solemnly say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke [of the pen] will pass from the Law until all things [which it foreshadows] are accomplished.  So whoever breaks one of the least [important] of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least [important] in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them, he will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

“For I say to you that unless your righteousness (uprightness, moral essence) is more than that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

“You have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not murder,’ and ‘Whoever murders shall be guilty before the court.’  But I say to you that everyone who continues to be angry with his brother or harbors malice against him shall be guilty before the court; and whoever speaks [contemptuously and insultingly] to his brother, ‘Raca (You empty-headed idiot)!’ shall be guilty before the supreme court (Sanhedrin); and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of the fiery hell.  So if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and while there you remember that your brother has something [such as a grievance or legitimate complaint] against you,  leave your offering there at the altar and go. First make peace with your brother, and then come and present your offering.  Come to terms quickly[at the earliest opportunity] with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way [to court], so that your opponent does not hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you are thrown into prison.  I assure you and most solemnly say to you, you will not come out of there until you have paid the last cent.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’;  but I say to you that everyone who [so much as] looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.  If your right eye makes you stumble and leads you to sin, tear it out and throw it away [that is, remove yourself from the source of temptation]; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.  If your right hand makes you stumble and leads you to sin, cut it off and throw it away [that is, remove yourself from the source of temptation]; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

“It has also been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife is to give her a certificate of divorce’; but I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on grounds of sexual immorality, causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who has been divorced commits adultery.

“Again, you have heard that it was said to the men of old, ‘You shall not make false vows, but you shall fulfill your vows to the Lord [as a religious duty].’  But I say to you, do not make an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God;  or by the earth, for it is the footstool of His feet; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.  Nor shall you make an oath by your head, for you are not able to make a single hair white or black.  But let your statement be, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’ [a firm yes or no]; anything more than that comes from the evil one.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth [punishment that fits the offense].’  But I say to you, do not resist an evil person [who insults you or violates your rights]; but whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other toward him also [simply ignore insignificant insults or trivial losses and do not bother to retaliate—maintain your dignity, your self-respect, your poise].  If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also [for the Lord repays the offender].  And whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two.  Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor (fellow man) and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love [that is, unselfishly seek the best or higher good for] your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  so that you may [show yourselves to] be the children of your Father who is in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on those who are evil and on those who are good, and makes the rain fall on the righteous [those who are morally upright] and the unrighteous [the unrepentant, those who oppose Him].  For if you love[only] those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do that? And if you greet only your brothers [wishing them God’s blessing and peace], what more[than others] are you doing? Do not even the Gentiles [who do not know the Lord] do that? You, therefore, will be perfect [growing into spiritual maturity both in mind and character, actively integrating godly values into your daily life], as your heavenly Father is perfect.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

“Do not think that I came to do away with or undo the  Law [of Moses] or the [writings of the] Prophets; I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

...but to fulfill! 

And that's what Jesus did for mankind..., 

Since he has "fulfilled" them, is He "keeping" them today?

Is He resting from His work on the Sabbath?

The Word tells us He is working, interceding for us both day and night...

Does He go to Jerusalem 3 times a year to keep the mandatory feast in the Temple?

How can He when the Temple has been destroyed for 1,949 years?

The logical question is, ...is Jesus in sin because He is not "keeping" the Law?

I think we all know the answer to that question...

So then, if I'm in Christ, ...if the life I live is the "Law" of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus, guided and directed 24/7 by the Holy Spirit, ...am I in sin if I don't "keep" the Law, or is the Holy Spirit leading, guiding, directing me in sin because He doesn't make me "keep" the Law?

I hope this shines some Light on this subject and many can "understand" the meaning of the word "fulfilled."

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,528
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

...but to fulfill! 

Does He go to Jerusalem 3 times a year to keep the mandatory feast in the Temple?

The logical question is, ...is Jesus in sin because He is not "keeping" the Law?

So then, if I'm in Christ, ...if the life I live is the "Law" of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus, guided and directed 24/7 by the Holy Spirit, ...am I in sin if I don't "keep" the Law, or is the Holy Spirit leading, guiding, directing me in sin because He doesn't make me "keep" the Law?

I hope this shines some Light on this subject and many can "understand" the meaning of the word "fulfilled."

Lord bless

Jesus has not replaced one iota of the law of Moses in His fulfillment of it's promise.

Jesus has stepped up awareness of the requirement of it, giving notice that it has included even the thought of sin requiring  the penalty of sin which is death. He has paid that price on the cross. He did not eliminate the need of the payment in full.

Every individual must still face the penalty of sin today, same as yeterday under the Law of Moses. Either by paying it's price personally that price being death, or  in acknowledging the gift of redemption made by Jesus. There is no free ride, no one can say with success that  there is no responsibility under  the Law of Moses today, but one can accept the full surity that Jesus has provided having paid the price in His own blood at the cross of  Calvary.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

18 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Ok, Coliseum, you enjoyed this person's thoughts but you didn't post any of your own thoughts.

Much gets said about the OT and the Law, but the thing is I wasn't raised by Judaisers so I haven't been "under the law" in that sense. The most I can do is recognise that there was a time when observance of the OT Law was required of Israel, and rejoice that indeed, now that God the Son has appeased God the Father on my behalf I don't have to try and appease Him by my works, so yes, we have a better covenant than Israel did.

True, I did enjoy the author's point of view, and most of the time I do respond with my own thoughts. This pastor shared my thoughts by his article---which was to me, an article about God's grace, and how the Law needed something greater. I hope others do not read what I post and think that I simply talk for talking's sake without anything to say. So, please accept that I do not always comment about the material; I believe that it speaks for itself. :)

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

On 11/17/2019 at 4:04 PM, Coliseum said:

“Do this and thou shalt live," has been to us all, as for Israel, an impossible assignment and task [Leviticus 18:5]. “You be good, and if you’re good enough, I will give you life," says the Lord. “Keep My statutes and My commandments, and there’s no hell for you, no damnation for you, no judgment for you, no death awaiting you. You shall live, and live forever. This do and thou shalt live."

Why, bless your heart, the Lord God might as well have said to a paralyzed man: “Here, climb to the top of Mount Everest," and he can’t walk. He’s an invalid. The Lord God might as well say to a man who’s bankrupt, “Here, pay thy debts," and the man has not wherewithal to pay. He is bankrupt. He’s in poverty and in want.

Because of the frailty and weakness of human nature, the old covenant had these two weaknesses: first, it provided no moral, spiritual dynamic for the obedience to the law of God; and second, it offered no effective way for the expiation of the sins of the people when once they fell into disobedience.

So the Lord said: “That old covenant I’m going to fold up like a worn-out garment and cast aside. It’s useless. It doesn’t work. It doesn’t save men." So God says, “Behold, I’m going to make a new contract, a new covenant, a new pledge, a new agreement."

Well, how is it that God makes us anew in this new covenant? This is the way that He does it: He does it first in regeneration. Under the new covenant, the Spirit of God remakes us; He gives us a new heart, a new desire, a new love, a new affection. The old desire and the old affection is gone. “If any man be in Christ, he is a new creation; old things are passed away; all things have become new” [2 Corinthians 5:17]. That’s what God has done with our sins. He has blotted them out and taken them away, and we are free [John 8:34-36; Romans 8:2]. We just have a new affection, and a new gratitude, and a new love in our hearts.

Pastor Criswell

"But now hath He obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also He is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises." Hebrews 8:6. 

Hi there!

I saw you (or Criswell?) wrote: "an impossible assignment and task"

However, Moses plainly stated that it is NOT too difficult to obey Torah (Dt.30:11).

Luke agrees that Zacharias and Elizabeth obeyed ALL Torah (Lk.1:6).

Jesus requires all Torah (Mt.5:19) and says it's easy! (Mt.11:30).

So, looks like you're rather "off" on your comment here....

"You shall live, and live forever. This do and thou shalt live.""

Jesus expects us to obey and live (Mt. 4:4 citing Dt.8:3 referring to TORAH)....so, it's ok to agree with Jesus!

"The Lord God might as well say to a man who’s bankrupt, “Here, pay thy debts," "

Careful!  JESUS paid the price we could never pay for ourselves....we are cleansed by HIS BLOOD (1Jn.1:7).

Nevertheless, we are still expected to grow in faithful obedience to Torah as an expression of our love (Jn.14:15;1Jn.5:3;Dt.6:5,25).

"first, it provided no moral, spiritual dynamic for the obedience to the law of God"

Dt. 30:11 plainly confirms that it's NOT too difficult to obey.  So, this comment is also unbiblical.

"it offered no effective way for the expiation of the sins of the people when once they fell into disobedience."

Sure it does!  ATONEMENT (" כָּפַר ") is a key concept in Torah.

"It doesn’t work. It doesn’t save men.""

God saves Torah-obedient Israel (Nu.10:9;Dt.33:29;Ps.7:10;18:27;28:9;31:16;37:40;54:1;55:16;Joel 2:32;etc).

Jesus agrees that Torah-obedience is sufficient for eternal life (Lk.10:25-28)....I think Jesus knows what He's talking about....

"So God says, “Behold, I’m going to make a new contract, a new covenant, a new pledge, a new agreement.""

Yes!  And the TORAH passes directly into that New Covenant (Jer.31:33, " תּוֹרָה ").

"the Spirit of God remakes us"

And the Spirit testifies we obey Torah! (Heb.10:15-16;Eze.36:27;Is.59:20-21 cited at Rom.11:26-27).

"He gives us a new heart"

And Torah should be in our heart so that we OBEY IT (Dt.30:14 passes into Rom.10:8 as the very word of faith Paul preaches).

"a new desire"

And we should desire to be SPIRITUAL (1Cor.14:1)...and TORAH is spiritual (Rom.7:14).

"a new love,"

And we prove this love by obeying Torah (Dt. 6:5,25.....applied to you in Mt.22:37).  John agrees (1Jn.5:3).

"The old desire and the old affection is gone."

Yes!  We, by the Spirit, mortify the flesh (Rom.8:13) which disobeys Torah (Rom.8:7).  Thus, the Spirit leads us to obey Torah!

"we are free [John 8:34-36; Romans 8:2]"

So true!  We now serve in freedom! 

Serve what?  TORAH (Rom.7:25).

"He is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises."

So true, my friend!

The New Covenant is better!

And the SAME TORAH passes into this New Covenant (Jer.31:33).

Torah was widely DISOBEYED in the Old Covenant (Heb.8:9).

Torah is properly OBEYED in the NEW Covenant (Heb.8:10).

blessings....

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

12 hours ago, JustPassingThru said:

...but to fulfill! 

Lord bless

"am I in sin if I don't "keep" the Law"

Well....sin is clearly defined in terms of TORAH-DISOBEDIENCE (Rom.3:20;7:7;1Jn.3:4;Is.42:24).

So SIN is TORAH-DISOBEDIENCE.

Is that what you're asking?

blessings...