• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  415
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  606
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

CORPORAL PUNISHMENT

In many regions spanking children is not only discouraged but may even land in jail. Even in my own town a pastor was arrested for spanking his child. Yet such is one of the forms of disciplines the Bible recommends.

Pr 13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Pr 22:15  Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Pr 23:13,14  Do not withhold correction from a child, For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die. You shall beat him with a rod, And deliver his soul from hell.

Pr 29:15 The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother.

Pr 19:18 Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death.

Pr 20:30  Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being.

More generally concerning discipline:

Heb 12:10,11  Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

So if you're concerned about any negative affects of disciplining your children, consider the negative affects of not disciplining them

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

I agree that we as Christians must discipline our children. However it seems that so many people do this in unacceptable ways.

( I'm not saying in anyway that this post says this, I'm just saying what I see with some parents)

We must remember that God never told a parent to beat a child until they are bruised, bleeding or anything worse. Christian discipline must coincide with our heavenly father's ways of correcting.

All discipline must begin in love. As our heavenly father begins with us. He is love and corrects us in love. 

Proverbs 3:11...'My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction.'

Deuteronomy 8:5, "Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that as a man chasteneth his son, so the Lord thy God chasteneth thee."

God bless ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.78
  • Days Won:  21

I'm thankful I was spanked as a child, that's all I'm gonna say. Taught me to behave. I see a lot of little terrors running around these days that have no respect for their parents/authority. A good whooping will change that pretty fast - time out corners probably won't. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I agree with Rev in that one should only go so far. Discipline is good, though. You see lots of kids left on their lonesome and babysat by technology. It doesn't look to end well.

I was spanked as kid, a total of less than 10 times. My parents also had me hold books. I would be made to stand with my arms out, palms up. Some books would then be placed on my hands (nothing too big, of course). They would set a timer for 15 min. If I moved, lowered my arms, or made so much as a peep, the timer would be reset. Let me tell you, I learned how to be quiet and still REAL quick. Also learned to not misbehave real quick, too.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with both of you.I was beat as a child to, and looking back I deserved it ?

but I also see parents going to far. I see the bruises and see the effects on children who are abused. I've seen and have heard the stories of children to whom I know personaly, I've worked with children and youth service's to help children in these case's. It's an ongoing problem of abused children that very little is being done for them.

But at the same time, children desperately need correction. God requires it, I would like to have courses offered to parents everywhere on discipline ( what's right and what's not) so that our children would be shown, taught and guilded into right morals,values and responsibility.  

I guess living in a fallen sinful world, as many of the parents themselves are rebellious and display no morals,values or responsibility to God. We can only see rebellious and\ or abused children.?

God bless ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,083
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Educate your Children concerning the failures of the Foster Care Programs in your area.  

When they complain, ask them if they rather be in Foster Care.  

I once heard a Father say, "Go ahead, report me,  They will just take you away and put you in foster care.   I may get a few years in jail, but when I get out, I will just leave you there.

• Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

I hear from the shrinks there is a new psyche disease. It is called respect and comes from a bit of discipline... Hmm.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Remember this:

[1] Spanking is not discipline.  Spanking is punishment.  Yes, I was spanked as a child and I have spanked a few as an adult.  Never to break skin or bruise, but as a consequence for bad behavior that has been taught not to do.

[2] Discipline is painless and can even be fun.  Discipline is learning what to do and what not to do.  Learning the musts and the whys of good behavior and the consequences of bad behaviors.  For discipline to work, it has to be practiced.  You can't just say to a four-year-old, "don't lie" without explaining what a lie is and talking over the musts and the whys of not lying.  Make a game of you telling the truth or a lie to them and them having to guess.  When you say the lie, ask them why that lie was bad to say.  Anyway.....you get the idea.  Discipline must be a repetitive thing for it to stick.

[3] Punishment is NEVER fun and can be painful.  Punishment is something a child wants to avoid at all costs.  Loss of a privilege, spanking, having to do extra chores, etc.  It's all about child, weight, age, and gender appropriateness.  And if the punishment used does not change the child's behavior, find another punishment OR start all over with the discipline part, teaching the musts and whys of good behavior and consequences of bad behavior.

But as to the OP, spanking can work and does work when applied appropriately.

But not all children respond to spanking.

I have a friend with one child for whom spanking does nothing.  She just grits her teeth and resumes the bad behavior in a couple of days.  Her younger child is terrified of being spanked.  All her mother has to do is to say, "Do I need to spank you?" and the unwanted behavior stops immediately and usually does not return.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 11/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, bcbsr said:

So if you're concerned about any negative affects of disciplining your children, consider the negative affects of not disciplining them

Discipline and beating are of course not the same thing.

The discipline of children is not enhanced by any government program nor any agency  of State including those run in the name of Jesus for State governments under contract with those governments including the work of the Salvation Army.

Under the guise of "It takes a village" much damage  has been and is being done to undermine families in order to terrorize and by threat control all parents in  the USA.

Parenting is full of peril in the USA today. Every doctor, every nurse, every teacher,  is compelled by law to report any activity or sign of potential abuse as thought to be abuse by  any administrator of today's laws of government. That strikes fear of criminal charges being filed against anyone that comes in contact with children today.

Please pray for each child and each parent that you know, pray for their protection from tyranny. 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Educate your Children concerning the failures of the Foster Care Programs in your area.  

When they complain, ask them if they rather be in Foster Care.  

I once heard a Father say, "Go ahead, report me,  They will just take you away and put you in foster care.   I may get a few years in jail, but when I get out, I will just leave you there.

Hi, Sorry  but I had to give that idea an Oy vey. I have seen it happen a few times and lived within it too. The result of that advice is tragedy that never stops unfolding.  Works out terrible for the child and the parent. Costs a fortune and ruins the family, the child, parent, aunt, uncle, grandparent, neighborhood, and school. You name it it adversely affects absolutely everyone once that idea gets into real action.