• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,455
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, Revlori said:

Praise God!

Ya know that's another wonderful thing about being in the family of God together. We are always learning, growing and changing to be more like our savior, and when we do it together it becomes easier.

God's blessings 

Reading your post brought something to remembrance I never even thought about. It's wonderful seeing my children and grandchildren scattered all over the place for Thanksgiving. Stuffing our faces, all the leftovers, undoing 2-3 belt notches, napping, playing with the grand kids, etc. 

At our church we have several elderly widows whom are basically shut-ins and normally someone with a debilitating illness or injury, they don't live far from me. Why haven't I thought about them and called and asked what they were doing for Thanksgiving? And at a minimum stopping by and delivering a meal to them? As a Christian, doesn't that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

4 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Ever since I discovered that a modestly-sized turkey is not only affordable but simple to prepare (insert deceased bird into functioning oven to cook... works like a charm), it's become a part of what we eat once in a while. The key word is usefulness. 

I'm the lady's steward so managing her resources is part of my job. Since I'm up and around and work frequently in the kitchen (she hasn't in a while now and the dogs aren't volunteering to prepare food … all those slackers care about is eating it, lol!) I'm the chef for people and dogs alike in this place. Turkey is great for the following reasons:

• It's affordable
  • Prepared properly it isn't half bad … hasn't killed us yet
  • Goes great with rice, noodles, potatoes, or whatever is hanging around within reach
  • The carcass makes great broth in the crockpot; jar it up and store it for use in all manner of things

I don't care for holidays and neither does she (bad memories), but to be honest Thanksgiving occurs every day up here. Thanksgiving should be every day!

Praise God for modern conveniences! and agreed our dogs are the same, However they are allowed to clean up some of the scrapes once everyone's done ( only on holidays and only a few pieces) oh what a dogs life !!!

Praise God, for living thanksgiving everyday! That's awesome!

God's blessings to you this thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,555
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Ha, working on it right now, took  a break while waiting for a call back from family as to how many can make it, if any.

We will( or plan to) have between 4 and 18 people for a mid afternoon dinner. This time a mostly "nobody cooks" day of thanks. I am planning on ordering all from Sprouts Famers market.. Plus allowing each to bring whatever makes them feel like it is  their own favorite traditional thing.

For me it will be the first Thanksgiving at the old "homestead" in eight years.

My wife of my youth and for 48 years always was the glue that held everyone together and we often set up for 24 or even more. Since 2011 I have just not felt ready to have it here again. But now I am the old geezer the retired one and all the rest are way too busy to enjoy preparing. So a new tradition may be born- for now anyway. For my sweet Texas peach it will be a new experience too.

Having it all purchased fully prepared will also allow for time to be in Thanksgiving, prepare prayer and praise of God, plus decorate the place, - and clean it too.

If all the others cannot come, well we will have  two to four of us and make the same plans, only scale it down- all rather easy as placing that food order. I have three ovens for the two hour warming up the food process, room for 30 at the table, and multiple rooms to gather afterward,  some quiet places for talk, some for football watchers to gather round.

About the only thing I think I will not be providing is any wine or other alcoholic beverage, (I do not consume it so haven't clue about buying it) that will be BYOB for those that  enjoy it.

I am hoping all  will be healthy and able to gather here, will likely know by end of the evening in time to put in the food orders.

Sprouts Farmers Market Stores seems to have a nice selection. If all are able to come I think I will order one of each  meal package; One turkey,  one roast beef, one ham. Each set up is for 6 to 8 people. If more get added I will just get another turkey meal ordered before the store runs out of turkeys. They warned us to get the order in by this Thursday.

I haven't been up emotionally to doing this in such a long long time- kind of fun just going through the early planning.

Thanks for the thread. Looking forward to reading of other's plans and traditions and prayer and grace messages that they might share with the board members.

We will soon see how it, the planning, goes here ( I have never been the planner before, always just the slicer of the turkey). At worst a can  of spam, some pineapple slices, and my sweet peach and I will have a good time of thanks by ourselves. God is good in all cases, and we are thankful under all circumstance.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,555
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, Godismyloveforever said:

I will not do anything different than any other day.  

Hi, Gee, I do hope that means you might have a thanks filled day most everyday.  

I am curious though, are you to be alone? By choice?,  or just prefer to not have a day much different from most average days events? ??? 

21 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Ha, working on it right now, took  break while waiting fo ra call back from family as to how many if any.

We will have between 4 and 18 people fo ra mid afternoon dinner.This time a mostly nobody cooks day of thanks. i am ordering all from Sprouts Famers market,  and Zukies pies. Plus allowing each to bring whatever makes them feel like it is  their own favorite traditional thing.

For me it will be the first Thanksgiving at the old "homestead" in eight years.

My wife always was the glue that held everyone together and we often set up for 24 or even more. Since 2011 I have just not felt ready to have it here again. But now I am the old geezer the retired one and all the rest are way too busy to enjoy preparing. So a new tradition may be born- for now anyway. For my sweet Texas peach it will be a new experience too.

Having it all purchased fully prepred will also allow for time to be in Thanksgiving, prepare prayer and praise of God, plus decorate the place, - and clean it too.

If all the others cannot come, well we will have  two to four of us and make the same plans, only scale it down- all rather easy as placing that food order. I have three ovens fo rth etwo hour wrming up th food process, room for 30 at the table, and multiple rooms to gather afterward,  some quiet places for talk some for football watchers to gather round.

About the only thing I think I will not be providing is any wine or other alcoholic beverage, (I do not consume it so haven't clue about buying it) that will be BYOB for those that  enjoy it.

I am hoping all  will be healthy and able to gather here, will likely know by end of the evening in time to put in the food orders.

Sprouts Farmers Market Stores seems to have a nice selection. If all are able to come I think I will order one of each  meal package; One turkey,  one roast beef, one ham. Each set up is for 6 to 8 people. If more get added I will just get another turkey meal ordered before the store runs out of turkeys. They warned us to get the order in by this Thursday.

I haven't been up emotionally to doing this in such a long long time- kind of fun just going through the early planning.

Thanks for the thread. Looking forward to reading of other's plans and traditions and prayer and grace messages that they might share with the board members.

We will soon see how it, the planning, goes here ( I have never been the planner before, always just the slicer of the turkey). At worst a can  of spam, some pineapple slices and my sweet peach an dI will have a good time of thanks by ourselves. God is good in all cases, and we are thankful under all circumstance.

Oh dear brother, this is truly the heart of God opening before our eyes.. 

Through the tears of joy that won't stop flowing from my eyes, my heart overflows in within me of God's greatness,how I praise God for this amazing testimony!

I pray you will keep us informed of how thing's transpired during this blessed event. May God richly bless you my dear friend. ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Reading your post brought something to remembrance I never even thought about. It's wonderful seeing my children and grandchildren scattered all over the place for Thanksgiving. Stuffing our faces, all the leftovers, undoing 2-3 belt notches, napping, playing with the grand kids, etc. 

At our church we have several elderly widows whom are basically shut-ins and normally someone with a debilitating illness or injury, they don't live far from me. Why haven't I thought about them and called and asked what they were doing for Thanksgiving? And at a minimum stopping by and delivering a meal to them? As a Christian, doesn't that make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. 

We all get wrapped up in one thing or another my friend, and so many holidays are rushed as they come and go. They are filled with our families, friends ,dinners, parties and then a relief that there over. But then there comes a time when we feel a pull at our heart and the holy spirit shows us something new, something that God is revealing for his glory. We can only give God praise for his Constance call upon our lives that forever brings us closer to him. What a great God we serve!

Blessings to you this thanksgiving dear friend!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

28 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Sounds wonderful, @Neighbor. One thing we've started doing this year is help support a mom from the village (population 117) who's looking for additional income to make ends meet. She's a truly wonderful cook and so the lady purchases multiple meals from her whenever they're being offered. The food is quite good … her pozole beats El Modelo's (historic New Mexican tortilla factory/restaurant in Albuquerque's South Valley) … and it helps her support the family. 

This is the time of year when people across this state start whipping up my favorite food of all: tamales! :emot-eek: 

This is also a wonderful act of kindness and God's love that you are showing. I praise God for this. So let your light shine before men comes to mind, may God richly bless you this thanksgiving dear friend.  

I love this, as you share your testimony you are an encouragement for others, praise God!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

My son and I will have a very quiet Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

My son and I will have a very quiet Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for.

Praise God!

For those who have been blessed with children, this is a precious delight. We are grateful for God's goodness as we enjoy this time embracing them with our love and they for us, as we continue to make cherished memories.

To those who have no children, God's goodness is always great as well, I believe that God has given them great love that expands to many ( as parents our love focuses on our family first then to others) but to those without children they expand their love toward the extended family of God first.In turn we are all blessed and experience God's abundant goodness! Praise God!

May God richly bless you and your son this thanksgiving dear sister..

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,233
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,358
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

On 11/19/2019 at 2:10 PM, Revlori said:

Hello everyone, I'd like to take a break from some of the heated subject's and think again to the thanksgiving holiday that is coming up.

I'd like to ask a few questions and share some statistics that are kinda interesting.

I'd like to ask, how many are planning on celebrate Thanksgiving?

***Note ( in the US) about 280 million people are expected to celebrate Thanksgiving!

If you are going to celebrate Thanksgiving, will you travel or will someone come to your home?

*** Note ( in the US) 54million people are expected to travel!

If your going to celebrate Thanksgiving, are you planning on eating Turkey?

*** Note ( in the US) about 46million Turkey's are eaten in thanksgiving day!

Are you more thankful this thanksgiving then you were last year?

**** Note :American's say in general that 41%of all Americans are more thankful this year then last year!?

Do you have Traditions in your family for this holiday?

***Note ( in the US) 88% of Americans follow some sort of tradition for thanksgiving!

As Christians, do you have a favorite verse to share about thanksgiving or being Thankful?

I'd like to share,we do celebrate Thanksgiving every year. My husband and I stay home, our children and my parents come to visit and have dinner at our home. I cook the meal, we have Turkey and all the trimmings ( stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, potato salad, green bean casserole, biscuits and gravy, corn, noodles, and pumpkin pie).

I am more thankful this year then last year, because God is amazing and has blessed us in a greater measure. My husband is still with me, my granddaughter is with us this year, and I still have my parent's, children and my health. God is AWESOME!

We do have Traditions in our home, all of us setting down, before we begin our meal and after prayer we all go around the room and express our thankfulness, we have great fellowship and enjoy our dinner. Every year the room gets fuller, with anyone who wants to come is welcome as well, theirs always enough. If no one else drops by we will deliver a meal to a neighbor's home or friends. 

I'd just like to share this verse:

Psalm 100:4  Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving everyone ...I thank God that I'm getting to know all of you this year and extending my Family, May God richly bless each of you ?

Please fill free to share!!!

Hi Revlori, How are you all, we are glad to know that you have taken a break to sort out for Thanksgiving that the Lord will supply your needs. After reading your post and that things go well, I would say that it is very encouraging to celebrate that day in being so thankful unto GOD and His Son our Lord Jesus Christ.

We are planning to go by a friend to eat Turkey and etc. :) but hopefully it won't be too much of eating.

As Christians, do you have a favorite verse to share about thanksgiving or being Thankful? Yes, it is the same one that you have shared among others, Psalm 100:4  Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. And for each other.

You all have a joyful Thanksgiving :)

Love always, Walter and Debbie

Edited by Walter and Deborah
More info.
  • Thumbs Up 1