missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

We have all come across those who are skeptics of Christianity. Have you ever heard this?

Isn't Christianity just a psychological crutch? 

How would you answer it?

I would talk to the person. First ask them why they think as they do. Then give them my testimony and stress i was once just like them. 

People have good reason to be as they are. It doesn't take long if you really listen to them where the root of their cynicism began. Time after time i find in fact the biggest problem has been the behaviour of so-called Christians who have caused harm. Look at the trouble caused by people in the name of religion. 

I am often so saddened. Children forced to go to church and beaten for refusal, holier than thou types treating others badly. Bible quoting argumentative types switching people off forever. 

I find listen first then explain why you yourself are a believer, how it helps you. Then acting with love and understanding is vital. People have problems and pain, they are looking for God in all the wrong places - i did. Until one day the right person shows them the right turning on their path. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

We have all come across those who are skeptics of Christianity. Have you ever heard this?

Isn't Christianity just a psychological crutch? 

How would you answer it?

No.

If believing in Jesus Christ is a crutch then not believing in Him is a coma?

The claim that "religion is a crutch" is a defensive judgment of motives that completely ignores the discussion of truth.

15 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

I would talk to the person. First ask them why they think as they do. Then give them my testimony and stress i was once just like them. 

People have good reason to be as they are. It doesn't take long if you really listen to them where the root of their cynicism began. Time after time i find in fact the biggest problem has been the behaviour of so-called Christians who have caused harm. Look at the trouble caused by people in the name of religion. 

I am often so saddened. Children forced to go to church and beaten for refusal, holier than thou types treating others badly. Bible quoting argumentative types switching people off forever. 

I find listen first then explain why you yourself are a believer, how it helps you. Then acting with love and understanding is vital. People have problems and pain, they are looking for God in all the wrong places - i did. Until one day the right person shows them the right turning on their path. 

I have known people who have had a negative experience with a Church or a Christian school and have been turned off to religion the rest of their lives. 

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Jesus never offered a crutch, only a cross, I don't think it's very biblical to talk about Jesus as being a crutch,it does not show any respect for our Savior who is Lord of Lord and King of Kings. We are created to have a personal relationship with God. What did Jesus told us to do? To preach the gospel and to be a fisher of men.

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.Psalm 14

Salt and Light
…15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a lampstand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.Matt.5:15-16

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

14 minutes ago, angels4u said:

Jesus never offered a crutch, only a cross, I don't think it's very biblical to talk about Jesus as being a crutch,it does not show any respect for our Savior who is Lord of Lord and King of Kings. We are created to have a personal relationship with God. What did Jesus told us to do? To preach the gospel and to be a fisher of men.

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.Psalm 14

Salt and Light
…15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a lampstand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.Matt.5:15-16

Most of us have been criticized for our belief in God. It is no secret. It is good to get these discussions out in the open. 

Every single human being on this earth has to make a choice of where they want to spend their eternity. God gives us all free will and life is full of choices. Do we want to spend our eternity with Jesus Christ or in hell? An eternity is a very long time. Never ending. 

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

Marxism declared that religion was the opiate of the people. Any 'free' thinker might use phrases like this to camouflage their fear that believers might have something, but that they do not want to 'give up' anything so they steer clear with obvious disclaimers. 

Phrases like this are akin to Mao banning the bible. Why did he ban something that was not a threat to his domain..

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1