IGNORED

Is God a God of grace first? or is grace the exception?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

A pastor I know has recently made the statement that God is a God of grace first. I haven't been able to speak with him about this yet, and that is a somewhat ambiguous statement. He said an author of a book discusses this, but i can't remember what book.

I have several questions I'd like to ask him to clarify what is means, especially the following:

• What does this mean exactly?
  • What would he be a God of second?
  • What exactly are the implications of this?

As I've been pondering this, I seem to have come to the conclusion that grace is the exception, not the rule

Consider Matthew 7:13-14:  "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (NIV)

I understand that God has lavished extreme, overwhelming, wonderful, extravagant grace on us by forgiving our sins, you don't need to tell me that. The problem is that the majority of the 7.5 billion people currently living on this planet are destined for hell. And while God does show common grace (God makes the sun rise on the evil and the good, and He sends rain on the just and the unjust - Matt. 5:45), His saving or special grace is not the norm. 

I believe that God is Holy first and foremost, and just in everything that He does.

So my question is:  do you believe God is a God of grace first, or am I off base by concluding that grace is the exception, not the rule?

Hopefully this can be discussed outside of the predestination realm, but maybe that is the difference between these two thoughts. In one, God doesn't pick who is saved and therefore is holding out His grace to everyone hoping they'll receive it. And in the other He has picked who He is going to save which would make judgement the "rule" and grace the "exception". I would prefer to hear some thoughts that are outside of this predestination realm if possible.

Thanks!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

1 minute ago, Isaiah43:25 said:

A pastor I know has recently made the statement that God is a God of grace first. I haven't been able to speak with him about this yet, and that is a somewhat ambiguous statement. He said an author of a book discusses this, but i can't remember what book.

I have several questions I'd like to ask him to clarify what is means, especially the following:

As I've been pondering this, I seem to have come to the conclusion that grace is the exception, not the rule

Consider Matthew 7:13-14:  "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (NIV)

I understand that God has lavished extreme, overwhelming, wonderful, extravagant grace on us by forgiving our sins, you don't need to tell me that. The problem is that the majority of the 7.5 billion people currently living on this planet are destined for hell. And while God does show common grace (God makes the sun rise on the evil and the good, and He sends rain on the just and the unjust - Matt. 5:45), His saving or special grace is not the norm. 

I believe that God is Holy first and foremost, and just in everything that He does.

So my question is:  do you believe God is a God of grace first, or am I off base by concluding that grace is the exception, not the rule?

Hopefully this can be discussed outside of the predestination realm, but maybe that is the difference between these two thoughts. In one, God doesn't pick who is saved and therefore is holding out His grace to everyone hoping they'll receive it. And in the other He has picked who He is going to save which would make judgement the "rule" and grace the "exception". I would prefer to hear some thoughts that are outside of this predestination realm if possible.

Thanks!

Simple! God's first choice/tendency is mercy, grace, forgiveness, patience--concepts that are linked.

For example, a leading worker who is fighting sex trafficking of children once felt overwhelmed that God was allowing paedophiles and murderers to ply their trade--then realized, God has grace and patience even on THEM, waiting for those who might repent.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

10 minutes ago, Isaiah43:25 said:

Thanks!

God forgives the repentant sinner, I believe. Therefore, whether or not he is a God of grace first, or if grace is the exception, depends on us, I think.

16 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

Simple! God's first choice/tendency is mercy, grace, forgiveness, patience--concepts that are linked.

At the time of the prophet Jonah, there were hundreds, if not thousands, of cities and civilizations all around the world. Jonah, though, was only sent to preach to Ninevah. It seems like God was showing that mercy, grace, forgiveness, and patience only to a very small few. Why would He show that to Ninevah and not all other other cities and people?

5 minutes ago, Isaiah43:25 said:

At the time of the prophet Jonah, there were hundreds, if not thousands, of cities and civilizations all around the world. Jonah, though, was only sent to preach to Ninevah. It seems like God was showing that mercy, grace, forgiveness, and patience only to a very small few. Why would He show that to Ninevah and not all other other cities and people?

Why do you believe God "didn't show mercy to other cities"?

Perhaps 100 other cities had hurricanes or earthquakes God diverted, but it is in the book of Jonah that we gain insight as to how God THINKS.

And to your point, Jonah WANTS Ninevah destroyed (the Ninevites killed and raped Jews) but God says "Should I destroy a city with thousands of children in it, or not honor the people's repentance"?

1 minute ago, Billiards Ball said:

Why do you believe God "didn't show mercy to other cities"?

Perhaps 100 other cities had hurricanes or earthquakes God diverted, but it is in the book of Jonah that we gain insight as to how God THINKS.

That is a good point, but that would be more on the lines of common grace and not special/salvific grace. The forgiveness of sins and imputation of righteousness is of infinitely higher value than a diverted earthquake, and it's that grace that seems to me to be very much the exception and not the rule.

Just now, Isaiah43:25 said:

That is a good point, but that would be more on the lines of common grace and not special/salvific grace. The forgiveness of sins and imputation of righteousness is of infinitely higher value than a diverted earthquake, and it's that grace that seems to me to be very much the exception and not the rule.

Since Jesus Christ died for every human sin, "grace is the exception, not rule" seems the wrong stance to me. "The Law brought X, Jesus brought grace..." - John 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  1

50 minutes ago, Isaiah43:25 said:

Shalom Isaiah 43:25,

Interesting question.

From how I understand the Scriptures, Yahweh is first a God of justice but He prefers to show mercy and be gracious.

But if He is a God of grace first, then gracious in what?  If He is a God of mercy first, merciful in what matters?   However, if He is a God of Justice first and foremost then all these things make sense and His mercy and grace towards us is something wonderful.

In the same way, Yahweh expects us to be just and righteous people first - keeping clean and holy.  However, He teaches us to prefer mercy and forgiveness towards others who offend us - so that we can be like Him.

Love & Shalom

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.66
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I see it like this; God's very first 'acts' relative to us was to 'Create' for our benefit and then give us 'being'. Existence.

I see this as an expression of Grace and Love.

A larger or more broad understanding teaches us why He did these things....Paul explained when he alluded to His 'eternal purpose'.

29 minutes ago, Tzephanyahu said:

From how I understand the Scriptures, Yahweh is first a God of justice but He prefers to show mercy and be gracious.

But if He is a God of grace first, then gracious in what?  If He is a God of mercy first, merciful in what matters?   However, if He is a God of Justice first and foremost then all these things make sense and His mercy and grace towards us is something wonderful.

This is more or less my understanding and thoughts as well. Which is probably why this pastor's original comment prompted my question here.

• Praise God! 1