teaching and sharing the gospel

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  143
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  2

It says somewhere in the new testament that not many of us should be teachers.  I've been wondering if sharing the gospel is the same as teaching?  Should only those who have the gift of teaching share the gospel then?  I used to share the gospel more, but now I'm hesitating because I don't want to be a teacher as not many of us should be teachers, and I've never wanted to be a teacher in the church. However, I'm wondering about sharing the gospel with those who are not in the church. Are all Christians called to share the gospel verbally with unbelievers or only teachers?  - Confused.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, ContinuingCorletta said:

It says somewhere in the new testament that not many of us should be teachers.  I've been wondering if sharing the gospel is the same as teaching?  Should only those who have the gift of teaching share the gospel then?  I used to share the gospel more, but now I'm hesitating because I don't want to be a teacher as not many of us should be teachers, and I've never wanted to be a teacher in the church. However, I'm wondering about sharing the gospel with those who are not in the church. Are all Christians called to share the gospel verbally with unbelievers or only teachers?  - Confused.

Share as you would honestly like others to share with you. Remember that those that want to know the truth will ask about it. Let your honesty and truth be the light of what they are already deeply looking for. In your honesty of consciousness, the Holy Spirit of Truth will merge with you and guide you in what to say and do, or not say or do, in a truthful way. A lot of the time our best share is our silence, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, unconditional love, fearlessness, doubtlessness, faith, acceptance, allowance, of which all these things are expressions of truth without saying a word.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

5 hours ago, ContinuingCorletta said:

It says somewhere in the new testament that not many of us should be teachers.  I've been wondering if sharing the gospel is the same as teaching?  Should only those who have the gift of teaching share the gospel then?

Teaching and witnessing/evangelism are not the same thing. Any of us can be a witness to the gospel - in fact, we all are, whether we like it or not! The only question is whether we're good witnesses or bad ones!

It's James who says (James 3:1) that not many Christians should aspire to be teachers. Teachers are these who explain doctrine to and instruct other Christians (eg preachers, Bible study leaders). In order to be a teacher you first have to learn - you need a firm understanding of Christian doctrine, and you have to practise what you preach. Bad teaching is very damaging to a church.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, ContinuingCorletta said:

Are all Christians called to share the gospel verbally with unbelievers or only teachers? 

Shalom @ContinuingCorletta,

Yes, all should share the Gospel, as it doesn't count as teaching really. 

For example: Imagine you found a secret lake, in which all who went in were healed, and wanted to share this good news.  Would you classify yourself as a 'teacher' just in sharing that information? I don't think so. 

Now, there are some gifted with gift of evangelism and some gifted with the gift of teaching. The former will be blessed with opportunities to speak with many individuals and masses of unbelievers. The latter will be blessed with understanding and wisdom in expounding the Scriptures for believers. 

However, even if we are not Spiritually Gifted in these areas, we should be prepared to share the good news when appropriate with unbelievers and teach the Scriptures to young believers.  That said, we should not all try to be teachers as Yahweh wants order in the Body. So, if every believer runs around trying to teach others, which is common today, then who are students?  But it goes beyond this as well... 

It's better to listen and learn rather than speak and teach.  We will be judged by our words and a teacher must speak many of them, so greater the risk. Therefore, it's best to leaving teaching to those who are gifted and led by the Holy Spirit, rather than do so of our own volition, lest we err.  

But sharing the Gospel is very different to being a teacher to the Body.  It's more like being a herald than a teacher. 

I hope that helps in some way! 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

9 hours ago, ContinuingCorletta said:

No one is to call himself a teacher (Matt 23:8), but certainly we all share what we have learned in an effort to help others: 

O give thanks to the LORD, call on his name,
make known his deeds among the peoples! Psalm 105:1 RSV

13 hours ago, Raven said:

Share as you would honestly like others to share with you. Remember that those that want to know the truth will ask about it. Let your honesty and truth be the light of what they are already deeply looking for. In your honesty of consciousness, the Holy Spirit of Truth will merge with you and guide you in what to say and do, or not say or do, in a truthful way. A lot of the time our best share is our silence, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, unconditional love, fearlessness, doubtlessness, faith, acceptance, allowance, of which all these things are expressions of truth without saying a word.

Thank you for sharing.

13 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

Teaching and witnessing/evangelism are not the same thing. Any of us can be a witness to the gospel - in fact, we all are, whether we like it or not! The only question is whether we're good witnesses or bad ones!

It's James who says (James 3:1) that not many Christians should aspire to be teachers. Teachers are these who explain doctrine to and instruct other Christians (eg preachers, Bible study leaders). In order to be a teacher you first have to learn - you need a firm understanding of Christian doctrine, and you have to practise what you preach. Bad teaching is very damaging to a church.

Thank you for your help.

10 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom @ContinuingCorletta,

Yes, all should share the Gospel, as it doesn't count as teaching really. 

For example: Imagine you found a secret lake, in which all who went in were healed, and wanted to share this good news.  Would you classify yourself as a 'teacher' just in sharing that information? I don't think so. 

Now, there are some gifted with gift of evangelism and some gifted with the gift of teaching. The former will be blessed with opportunities to speak with many individuals and masses of unbelievers. The latter will be blessed with understanding and wisdom in expounding the Scriptures for believers. 

However, even if we are not Spiritually Gifted in these areas, we should be prepared to share the good news when appropriate with unbelievers and teach the Scriptures to young believers.  That said, we should not all try to be teachers as Yahweh wants order in the Body. So, if every believer runs around trying to teach others, which is common today, then who are students?  But it goes beyond this as well... 

It's better to listen and learn rather than speak and teach.  We will be judged by our words and a teacher must speak many of them, so greater the risk. Therefore, it's best to leaving teaching to those who are gifted and led by the Holy Spirit, rather than do so of our own volition, lest we err.  

But sharing the Gospel is very different to being a teacher to the Body.  It's more like being a herald than a teacher. 

I hope that helps in some way! 

Love & Shalom 

Thank you for your thoughts and explanations.  

8 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

No one is to call himself a teacher (Matt 23:8), but certainly we all share what we have learned in an effort to help others: 

O give thanks to the LORD, call on his name,
make known his deeds among the peoples! Psalm 105:1 RSV

I share just some things but not everything that I have learned to help others.  

8 hours ago, Prodigal Son said:

I think we are all told to share the gospel but I'm afraid. I'm afraid mostly of getting into an argument. I think one should perhaps back off if the person rejects the word such as someone from another religion or an atheist.

"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet." Matthew 10: 14

Thank  you.