• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I do kinda love the references to sailing, smooth sailing, and of being on sea waters.

Not that I have been a great sailor, but I have been on  water so fierce that a real international sailer with me pleaded that should I survive (the storm) and he does not  that I do not leave his body  behind at sea. As he wants to be buried on shore lands.

Even in a real storm on a real sea when metaphors become real events, and even lightning has struck many times arcing and sparking through one's body, and the batts have been  snapped out of the sail, along with the hull being pushed below and raised above the sea like a plunger in a toilet, there is a calm and smooth sailing, because God is. God is the deliverer of peace that passes all understanding, a prosperity for mind spirit and soul that makes all temporal blessings rather inconsequential.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

13 minutes ago, jmax said:

I guess that I should have checked the archives before posting about the prosperity guys :taped: :D

Not a problem. Topics turn and turn around again. It happens, and new members get a chance to catch up. Something new always gets into the mix. It's all good. 565003448_thumbsupsmiley.gif.14f4755b1aa685612c1f42fce841c9b1.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

23 minutes ago, jmax said:

I guess that I should have checked the archives before posting about the prosperity guys :taped: :D

And we get to poke a little fun of those with less scruples on TV. 307809460_smirkemoji.gif.b710eaf8a4b2f4b1857468041a599fd9.gif

Edited by BeauJangles

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, jmax said:

When I posted initially, I wasn't really thinking about going this "deep" into the subject of prosperity gospel, but your post really got me thinking how dangerous it could be to a young believer

Hi again, 

No reason to not post yet again about a subject, any subject, far as I know.

Personally I trust God for all that I receive and I wonder not about the messenger being dangerous to me.

God has led me on a ( Learning ) pace that has varied over the years, sometimes a sprint sometimes a jog. He knows I cannot sprint along the pathway all the time, and so He provides me rest and dalliance even.

Perhaps so that I especially  appreciate sailing too, with  the wind in my sails on occasion, when I may raise up and fly in the harness on a full reach. At some point I have need to tack.

All of life  lived well is dangerous to the flesh, yet life eternal is quite secure, having been redeemed, purchased by Jesus at the cross at Calvary.

I buy into the message from Paul  to the Philippians that the intent of a speaker whether good or evil does not matter so much as the actual spreading of the gospel that occurs in spite of anyone's intent. So I do not worry that God may not be able to overcome an errant or even a blasphemous message, or it's messenger whether by their purposeful design or just in parroting what they have heard from another.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Well said @Neighbor, well said!

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

8 hours ago, turtletwo said:

@Blood Bought 1953 You know what? They really do crazy stuff like that. They will claim they are sending you dirt from the holy land.

Or what about the handkerchiefs they claim will emit healing power to you? All for a tidy fee, of course. 

Ahem. News flash. They are not  the Apostle Paul.

for sure these charlatons are not paul .     Paul never once hinted at ,  FAITH in healing is somehow attached to the MONEY you give .

THESE are charlatons .   they nothing more , they nothing less , they are charlatons .  

And the clowns wont get a cent from me .   REBUKING ONLY is my payment towards them .    ALL WILL STAND BEFORE GOD ,  many will be told ,  NEVER KNEW YOU .  

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,064
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

11 hours ago, jmax said:

I am with you Mr. Jangles.  I used to think that Joel Osteen wasn't totally a prosperity gospel guy because he did not preach all of the time about monetary prosperity.  But he talks about good things always happening.  I read in one of his first books a long time ago about the time that he prayed for a parking space and got one up front in a packed parking lot.  Sounds like prosperity to me.  

I have noticed that when I am kind to others in traffic, I tend to get better parking places....    I drove about 3,500 miles a month for 35 of 38 year career and it was common to those of us that as we let other in front of us in traffic and stopped to let people in traffic, we seemed to always get good parking places....   and when you are carrying 50 pounds of tools and vacuum cleaner into various offices all day the parking can be a really bit deal...

All three of the people I worked with were dedicated born again's with really deep prayer lives and we all had the same experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I am not a prosperity teaching guy there have been situations where we have donated to special needs of the church and had large repayments that came from really off the wall ways...    But the giving was not in expectation of getting something in return, it was to stay cool in church when the old air conditioner died.  But then again God has been really good to my wife and I all our lives....   even when things were nearly destitute he has always come through for us to meet out needs....    and even some wants.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

I think that the difference.

With prosperity gospel or faith healing stuff, its done with the expectation or even the outright demand that God perform in a certain way.

I would be way to afraid to treat God that way....

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,418
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, jmax said:

When we as Christians believe that because we are Christians, our life will be smooth sailing without troubles, we are moving very close to the Gospel of Prosperity".  Think Joel Osteen and Crefalo Dollar.

In retrospect, I recall when I lived very carnally and observed my two sisters, who were pious as it seemed to me, I thought that I would like to live a trouble free life.  Then one day,  my number was called and the war started, that is the spiritual battles.  It has never stopped and continues till this day. 

The bible says, those who put their hands on  the plow  and look back is not fit for the kingdom and he that we must share in Christ suffering, those are huge words that a Christian would find hard to swallow. 

Every believer has his own testimony to tell. Only he knows the truth of his life's journey.   The Lord has promised to bless us and  that we would also face the trials of life and the enemy that knows us too.   Many believers lost their lives proclaiming the gospel, starting with the apostles and continues today.

1 Peter 4 King James Version (KJV)

12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:

Luke 9 King James Version (KJV)

62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

• Thumbs Up 1