• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Sorry to go slightly off-topic here. There is the aspect of tithing. It's giving to the Lord's work in good faith, without the over-expectancy of some kind of reward. Giving of tithes were a requirement according to the Law, and used for the upkeep of the temple and priests who served the Lord. It was also provision for widows and the poor. 

Many churches still require tithing for members. (10% or more) It's no longer mandatory in the NT, but a good deal of church congregants feel in their hearts to support the ministry in which they attend. My personal view? Ten percent is considered a tithe, more than that is a love offering. I'll submit this scripture and a comment, and leave the topic open for possible further discussion. It's been on the forums before, but so has prosperity teaching.  

Malachi 3:10 KJV 10Bring ye the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Why Tithing Is Still For The New Testament Church

There were 613 laws by which the Israelites had to live their daily lives, and tithes was one of those 613 laws. Hebrews 7:18 is clear, “for there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitablness thereof”. In other words the command to tithe was disannulled [cancelled].

https://www.independentbaptist.com/tithing-still-new-testament-church

Disclaimer: This not necessarily my own personal opinion. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The tithing commitment would come to a three year rolling average  per year  of 23.3333%. For there were many tithe commitments to keep. Plus any gifts and offerings above that, along with the 50th year jubilee year consequence to consider in valuing all  acquisitions.

The keeping of financial records must have required an exercising  of the mind that most today would not be able to fathom, never mind perform.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Malachi 3:10 KJV 10Bring ye the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

Supporting your church is (should be) a no brainer.
quote "We're now down to 7.4 percent of professed churchgoers "tithing" 10 percent"

'Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.'  James 4:17

'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'

I know there are some here who do not agree, but I believe
          You can't out give God!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

The Book of Galations  makes it clear that Believers  are to “ share in all good things” with the person who brings you the Gospel..... This should not take a whole lot of prompting .Who  would not want to support a preacher that helped take them from Darkness to Light? The attitude should be “ just try to hold me back from sharing with this person that lead me to Christ and saved me from an Eternity in Hell”

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

9 hours ago, other one said:

I would be way to afraid to treat God that way....

Well, hummmm    I did do that one time.   When we first discovered my wife had M.S. I prayed and prayed for the Lord to heal her.    I knew how simple it would be for him to do and he promised that he would do the things we asked earnestly for...   and it wasn't for me, it was for her....     she had been a very athletic person and there she was in the hospital and couldn't even get up and walk......

Well it finally boiled down to me being very angry with Him and I found myself out in the back yard looking up and telling him what his promises were and shaking my fist in his face yelling at the top of my lungs of his downgraded character in my mind...….      ended up demanding that if he won't heal her at least tell me why.....    and out of nowhere came something that was so powerful I would swear it was a quite voice that simply said "That's between her and myself, it's really none of your business."    Well that's so far away from what I was thinking I knew it didn't come from me...…    and what do you say back to that.....   and it was in such a quiet loving way, I just melted....   fell to my knees and cried.

Well he so far hasn't healed her completely, but he did make her functional.   Worked for over 20 years as a kindergarten teacher and road around with me vacationing 25+ weeks a year for the past ten years....   Well except for one trip back home when I had fallen and messed up my left wrist....  she drove most of the way back home to Oklahoma from Seattle, while I tripped out in the passanger side of the car taking Percocet to stand the pain.... (another thing he got us through   LoL).   BTW way the trip across West Kansas can be really exciting taking Percocet...   weird things come out at you from the side of the road..   but at home, the little demonic looking things that hover in the corner of the room can be really concerning...   Had to stop the Percocet...   Little demon things went away when I did so I have to think they were not real...     Anyway::::::     I love that lady the way that Jesus loved the church...   I truly would take a beating and die for her best interests....   It may well have pulled us closer together over these 30 years we've had to deal with it...

• This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 2
  • Praying! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

There is the aspect of tithing. It's giving to the Lord's work in good faith, without the over-expectancy of some kind of reward.

My mother instilled the "tithing mentality" into myself and my brother for as long as I can remember.  No matter what our financial circumstances, she always tithed (10% I believe).  She never talked about doing it for some kind of reward, but when I questioned her later in life about my tithing if I did not necessarily have the money to tithe, her answer was always "God doesn't keep his checkbook like we keep our checkbook".  Has stuck with me for more than 40 years.  Ahh . . . the wisdom we can glean from our parents.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

5 hours ago, other one said:

When we first discovered my wife had M.S.

@other one Thank you for sharing this beautiful personal testimony. I will be praying for her.

I praise the Lord that He has been helping her to function better. He is an amazing God. He heals us in His way and His time. Little by little sometimes.

out of nowhere came something that was so powerful I would swear it was a quite voice that simply said "That's between her and myself, it's really none of your business."    Well that's so far away from what I was thinking I knew it didn't come from me...…    and what do you say back to that.....   and it was in such a quiet loving way, I just melted....   fell to my knees and cried.

I love how He answered you in that undeniable voice of His. It is so HIM. This moved me to tears.

It may well have pulled us closer together over these 30 years we've had to deal with it...

Though I know it has been really difficult for both of you, God has managed to bring meaning and beauty out of it. Your love has further blossomed and He has strengthened your marriage.

God is awesome. He often works in mysterious ways.

Just the fact that you are sharing this now and it will speak to some who needed to read this... I know I sure did.  

• This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 hours ago, jmax said:

My mother instilled the "tithing mentality" into myself and my brother for as long as I can remember.  No matter what our financial circumstances, she always tithed (10% I believe).  She never talked about doing it for some kind of reward, but when I questioned her later in life about my tithing if I did not necessarily have the money to tithe, her answer was always "God doesn't keep his checkbook like we keep our checkbook".  Has stuck with me for more than 40 years.  Ahh . . . the wisdom we can glean from our parents.

Wow. What precious memories. That is absolutely beautiful! 

566191243_kittyheart.png.9cf642ac01521d4b5a3deab4d3124a46.png