• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hello, I'm Juna.

I am writing today because I have one sin that I can't seem to get away from. I try and I try and the longest I've lasted was two weeks. Mostly just a few days. I know it's a major problem and I want to stop because I know it's wrong and I pray and repent and try to keep myself from doing so I pray to God and ask for his help to keep me from it but I just can't stop. I'm not sure if I should say what sin it is cause I don't think it's appropriate to say online. I was wondering if anyone hear knows any trick any special prayer or habit to cease these most gripping sins?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,382
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

From what you've described it seems like the sin in question is a habit or an addiction of some sort at this point. If you don't want to say what it is I think that's okay but it may limit our ability to advise you. Prayer is important, but if I'm right about it being a habit or an addiction then treat it as that. Support groups are helpful for those things because their members become accountable to each other and share their successes and failures. Here are some other potentially helpful ideas.

Don't make it easy to go back to. If you can do anything to hinder your ability to partake of this sin, even if it's just slowing down your path to it, do so.

Before you partake of your particular sin make it a point to read a chapter or two from the Bible or pray. Not necessarily about the sin, but just thanking God. Make a habit of it.

If you associate with others who partake of this and aren't struggling to quit themselves it's best to  cease associating with them or limit your contact with them if at all possible.

• Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thank you Orange. I'll be sure to keep all this in mind and do as you suggest. I feel like this advice will help a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

I suggest for consideration that the act is the manifestation of the sin, it is not the sin itself.  The sin is disobedience to God, actions come about from that sin of disobedience. For example the sin of David was not the taking  of another's wife, nor the killing of her husband. The sin was the disobedience  of God in another matter, David did not go out to war as commanded by God he sent another. Having not obeyed God he was left to be overcome by the manifestation of that  sin, the acting out  of it then followed. Chasing the manifestations doesn't resolve the sins against God. 

So first  be in obedience to God in heart mind and spirit.  Make that the goal. And know that while living in this body of flesh, manifestations of sin will occur for none are perfected fully in the flesh, except one, and perhaps two.

There are books on the subject of specific sin or what is called sinful acts and how to try to overcome them. They may be good, but one needs to have realization  of the original sin and that one is born in sin needing the shed blood of Jesus to wash us white as snow to be seen as perfect and acceptable in the sight of God. Our manifestations of sin even if fully conquered do not resolve our need for the protection of the blood of the Lamb of God.

You might  look up some books by Joshua Harris see if any may be of help to you.

May God bless.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

From what you've described it seems like the sin in question is a habit or an addiction of some sort at this point. If you don't want to say what it is I think that's okay but it may limit our ability to advise you. Prayer is important, but if I'm right about it being a habit or an addiction then treat it as that. Support groups are helpful for those things because their members become accountable to each other and share their successes and failures. Here are some other potentially helpful ideas.

Don't make it easy to go back to. If you can do anything to hinder your ability to partake of this sin, even if it's just slowing down your path to it, do so.

Before you partake of your particular sin make it a point to read a chapter or two from the Bible or pray. Not necessarily about the sin, but just thanking God. Make a habit of it.

If you associate with others who partake of this and aren't struggling to quit themselves it's best to  cease associating with them or limit your contact with them if at all possible.

Attacking any type of sin from the outside in ain’t gonna get the job done. One can suppress sin , bottle it up and contain it for a time, but it’s going to rear its ugly head again eventually.Obedience or the lack of obedience is in direct proportion to one’s Trust and Love for God. We love God when we realize That He loved us first—- when we were His enemies, when we were “ dead in sins”, before we repented, before we were Born Again. What we need to have changed is “ the inside of the  cup” an act that only The Holy  Spirit can perform.How do we get there from here? When one understands and lives- out the Life Of Grace.....RESTING in the Truth that all of your sins of today and all of your sins of tomorrow are on the Cross, totally forgiven and forgotten- that inspires a Love for God that will result in these sins “falling by the wayside” in a manner that is natural—- you no longer have to work at it so hard.God ain’t interested in our self control and he warns about the “ worship Of will-Power”. Trust in the Grace God has already provided and prove it by resting in it ( as commanded btw ) .That will inspire Love. The lack of obedience will take care of itself after that.Don't  find out the hard way that every other “Band Aid”  is a waste of time.Even if successful , done in any/other manner is just a “ dead work “ God wants it done His Way— Trusting Him to do it from the inside out.God bless

• Loved it! 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

11 hours ago, Juna said:

Hello, I'm Juna.

I am writing today because I have one sin that I can't seem to get away from. I try and I try and the longest I've lasted was two weeks. Mostly just a few days. I know it's a major problem and I want to stop because I know it's wrong and I pray and repent and try to keep myself from doing so I pray to God and ask for his help to keep me from it but I just can't stop. I'm not sure if I should say what sin it is cause I don't think it's appropriate to say online. I was wondering if anyone hear knows any trick any special prayer or habit to cease these most gripping sins?

The temptation to sin can be hard to resist, but whenever I start down the path of sin, I realize it is a most unpleasant lifestyle and I repent. Maybe at that point you just want to keep your mind off of that sin.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Hi Juna,   Welcome to the board, I see you're new here. I'm also wondering if you're a new believer. You're doing well to want to eliminate your sins because this is pleasing to God. But I hope you know Christianity is a lifelong journey and some sins are much harder to get rid of than others. Trust me on this, I've been doing it some 40 yrs and I still have sins. If it involves a substance, such as tobacco or alcohol it may be exceptionally hard. Then there are the sins that seem easy enough until someone comes along and says something to you that makes the sin pop up again. Along with these we have jealousy & envy. I found the solution to jealousy & envy to be by taking to heart something Jesus said. But don't think I did this overnight, it took me years. Here it is, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matt: 6: 19-21 As you go through life you will find this saying of Jesus has more and more meanings.

Also remember that the longer you're a Christian the easier it will get to avoid sin just as long as you spend at least 15 min a day reading and/or listening to the Bible. And I highly recommend you do both. When I was a newbie reading the Bible was all there was. But now we can listen to it as well, and there are different benefits in both ways. I use the audio Bibles on Biblegateway.com. I highly suggest the dramatized NIV Bible because they use different readers for the various characters. And did you know they even made a few movies where every word spoken is scripture? So far I only watched the movie on the book of Acts but I'll get to the others.

Lastly, even when you mess up and sin remember, God is faithful and your sin is forgiven as soon as you tell God you're sorry.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

Once you try crack, you are addicted for life.

Same thing with sex. 

My recommendation: Pray, and know that this is not about salvation. It's about obeying your dad, and he made the rule for your own good. So if you disobey, actions have consequences in this life. But he's still your dad, and you are still in the will. It just makes dad sad when you (we) knowingly disobey. Keep trying, but NEVER forget that it is your BELIEF on Jesus sacrifice and resurrection for your sins that matters in the end. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:11 PM, Juna said:

Hello, I'm Juna.

Hi Juna,

I see that you say `I try and try....` We of ourselves haven`t the power to overcome sin. However when we actually repent, and mean it, and turn to God then with His enabling we can overcome. You gave your will to do that sin, and thus evil influences have inroads into your life. Thus you need, by an act of your will to close up the `door,` where they influence you.

By repenting, you are giving your will to the Lord and cutting off those evil influences. They may try and affect you, however you claim Jesus` blood upon the cross for you and the intensity to do that sin will start to go away. In time you will know freedom.

praying, Marilyn.

• Brilliant! 1

• 7 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 11/27/2019 at 5:41 AM, Juna said:

Hello, I'm Juna.

My advice is be persistent and take it one step at a time, if you pace yourself in stopping it and cutting things off that cause it then over time it will have less of an effect on you.