Tigger56

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  0

In James 1:17 we are told that with the Father there is no variableness or shadow of turning. Is this a description only of our God or is it also a description of how we are to be if we are walking the path the Lord desires? In the scripture it states "with whom", with means in relationship or near, so when we are nigh to God we should be walking a straight path with obedience and commitment with no variableness or shadow of turning. This scripture is the only one in the Bible that uses these two terminologies. I find an instruction of obedience in this.

Edited by Tigger56
changed one word

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, hard to beat Chales J Ellicot  "Ellicot's Commentaries" from which comes the following:

With whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.—The phraseology is almost scientific. There are changes, literally “parallaxes,” of the heavenly bodies themselves, and eclipses one of another by shadows projected through space, but no such variableness with God, nor changing of faintest shade. And even further, the greatest and most marvellous of His works on high “must be dissolved” (2Peter 3:11), “the sun darkened, the moon not give her light, the stars fall from heaven” (Matthew 24:29), and the heavens themselves “be rolled together as a scroll” (Isaiah 34:4). But if “the things which are seen are temporal, the things which are not seen are eternal” (2Corinthians 4:18). “I am the Lord,” is the burden of His latest prophet; “I change not” (Malachi 3:6).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Well, the context is God's goodness in gift-giving that never changes, but since we are to imitate God and to be holy as he is holy, I suppose we are to try to be invariable in our walk with him.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Well, the context is God's goodness in gift-giving that never changes, but since we are to imitate God and to be holy as he is holy, I suppose we are to try to be invariable in our walk with him.

Yep, seems so. And never look back, never stop, never hesitate, run the race as though to win it; for winning changes everything. ( That's an alphabet soup of encouragements to persevere.)

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

In James 1:17 we are told that with the Father there is no variableness or shadow of turning. Is this a description only of our God or is it also a description of how we are to be if we are walking the path the Lord desires? In the scripture it states "with whom", with means in relationship or near, so when we are nigh to God we should be walking a straight path with obedience and commitment with no variableness or shadow of turning. This scripture is the only one in the Bible that uses these two terminologies. I find an instruction of obedience in this.

There is one unvarying set of commandments we must follow. However, we do learn, and therefore, change.

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

There is one unvarying set of commandments we must follow. However, we do learn, and therefore, change.

AG

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

Agree. We change and grow. However, we are to have a shadow of turning, which to me, means we don't turn from the light, from the ways of God.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

23 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

AG

Agree. We change and grow. However, we are to have a shadow of turning, which to me, means we don't turn from the light, from the ways of God.

Why do you say we are to have a shadow of turning?

42 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Why do you say we are to have a shadow of turning?

sorry, mistype. We are not to have a shadow of turning.  Thanks for catching that!

• Thumbs Up 1