IGNORED

Presences after death

I have a friend who attends church with me whose sister died about 6 months ago. Today she told me that frequently she feels her sister's presence strongly. As if she is watching over her and urging her to go visit her brother in law and her niece. 

Could i please have guidance on what could be happening here? What does the Bible say about any possibility of a loved one's soul still being able to communicate with the living. 

My own thoughts are my friend is grieving and therefore vulnerable. That in grief she wishes her sister to be still near her. The mind can play tricks. Or that maybe evil spirits are impersonating her sister or certainly misleading her to think she is still around? So i have advised my friend to pray to Jesus Christ to guide and protect her. That's all i can think of for now.

I need good sound bible based advice please. 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom @Melinda12,

I hope you have been well my friend. 

8 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

My own thoughts are my friend is grieving and therefore vulnerable.

I agree. Sometimes the impact of a death can be so great that the mind can comprehend it fully. 

There is a phenomenon called phantom limb syndrome.  Basically, if a person loses an arm in an accident, they can still feel it there for a long time after - as if they still have a fully working arm.  I think this situation is similar to the this phenomenon.

Maybe your friend hasn't let go of the person subconsciously and so still feel as if they are in their life in some way (like the arm). It wouldn't take them long to assume its actually their spirit, especially if they witness coincidences, feel driven towards a worthy goal  suddenly or are comforted in times of sadness. 

As for what the Bible and Apocryphal writings say, it cannot be her sister's spirit.  When we die we go to one of two places in Sheol.  The dark side or the light side, both therein awaiting that great day. 

15 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

Or that maybe evil spirits are impersonating her sister or certainly misleading her to think she is still around?

I doubt it. Possibly, but I doubt it. 

Evil spirits don't often bother playing such games without a generational attachment or more immediate goal.  It would be unwise to mess with her as well if she is a Christian. There are other much easier targets for them to go for. 

17 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

That's all i can think of for now.

It's very difficult. My mother believes the same thing with her passed brother, and she is not a believer. But because of the sensitivity of the matter, I don't pull down her illusion.  In the same way, I don't reinforce it or encourage it.  I simply listen and word my replies very carefully to not show judgement or agreement. 

I'm not sure that's the best advice, but it's very tricky to tear down from someone their last ray of hope after losing someone. 

Perhaps someone else can advise you better on how to break it to her.  But sometimes love and gentleness and silence is better than hard cold truth, when the truth will bring nothing but pain, sorrow and humiliation. 

Perhaps pray that she will learn the truth from reading the Scriptures directly?

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Perhaps someone else can advise you better on how to break it to her.  But sometimes love and gentleness and silence is better than hard cold truth, when the truth will bring nothing but pain, sorrow and humiliation.

I'm not so sure that's true. If one never faces the truth and the pain and loss that accompanies it, then they will never receive proper closure. They will not move on and it's not healthy. Love and gentleness still, of course, walking her through the relevant scriptures in an understanding way.

Beyond that, I agree with everything else, particularly the phantom limb phenomenon. I'd think that sense that the lost one is there stems from a lack of closure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

2 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I have a friend who attends church with me whose sister died about 6 months ago. Today she told me that frequently she feels her sister's presence strongly. As if she is watching over her and urging her to go visit her brother in law and her niece. 

Could i please have guidance on what could be happening here? What does the Bible say about any possibility of a loved one's soul still being able to communicate with the living. 

My own thoughts are my friend is grieving and therefore vulnerable. That in grief she wishes her sister to be still near her. The mind can play tricks. Or that maybe evil spirits are impersonating her sister or certainly misleading her to think she is still around? So i have advised my friend to pray to Jesus Christ to guide and protect her. That's all i can think of for now.

Melinda, Scripture says otherwise:

Isaiah once asked: “And when they say to you, ‘Consult the mediums and the wizards who whisper and mutter,’ should not a people consult their God? Should they consult the dead on behalf of the living?” (Isa. 8:19 NASB).

Spiritism is wrong because it reflects a paganist departure from God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

Interesting thoughts. 

I have asked fellow christians, my housegroup, for advice. 

I need solid facts to tell my friend. She listens to me. She is an elderly strong lady but has been under severe stress for a long time. She has become a Christian properly this year after many years struggling alone. I really want to guide her and pray for her. This matter is troubling her, she thinks her dead sister really is still here.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

12 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Once a person is dead their soul goes to heaven if they are a believer or Hades if they are not a believer. The soul does gravitate on this earth. There is no communication to use from those who have died. Satan and the demonic world can make themselves into those we loved who have died. It is not biblical and can lead into some very bad stuff. Praying to God and telling Him all that is on your heart is a good choice. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

16 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I need sound bible based advice please. 

I wish there were specific scriptures concerning this phenomena, Melinda. Unfortunately, there is none that can pinpoint this sort of occurrence some people experience when a loved one passes away. Your post is most insightful on the matter, and it would appear the answers are clear enough if you'd read the post you've submitted again. I will say this. A soul can not roam this earth once that person dies. So, whatever she is sensing isn't her sister.

Yes, it could be wishful desires because she if grief stricken. But this would be delusional at best, or demonic at the worst. It may be a comfort to her, but it does not sound like something from the Lord. He does not grant visitations from the dead to the living. The only reference that can be given, is the story of Lazarus and the rich man. God bless your friend who mourns. 

Lazarus and The Rich Man

Luke 16 KJV

19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. 

Luke 16:19-31 KJV

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

The bible does not cover everything true. Just because something is not mentioned in the bible does not mean it is not true.

Let the Spirit of Truth guide you in your honest surrender of what you doubt.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

17 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

12 minutes ago, Raven said:

The bible does not cover everything true. Just because something is not mentioned in the bible does not mean it is not true.

Let the Spirit of Truth guide you in your honest surrender of what you doubt.

So, do you have anything at all biblically to contribute to this thread as requested, or is this just some more philosophical meanderings?