• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

45 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

So, do you have anything at all biblically to contribute to this thread as requested, or is this just some more philosophical meanderings?

John 16:12- "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14. He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you."

BeauJangles, you are already familiar with these verses, yet you let yourself get in the way of truth. This is what I meant by you seeing what you want to see.

And in regards to you using what Melinda12 said:

18 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

... I need good sound bible based advice please.

I did.

1 hour ago, Raven said:

The bible does not cover everything true. Just because something is not mentioned in the bible does not mean it is not true.

Let the Spirit of Truth guide you in your honest surrender of what you doubt.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

23 minutes ago, Raven said:

John 16:12- "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14. He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you."

BeauJangles, you are already familiar with these verses, yet you let yourself get in the way of truth. This is what I meant by you seeing what you want to see.

And in regards to you using what Melinda12 said:... I need good sound bible based advice please.

I did.

Those are excellent verses, Raven. Yes, I'm familiar with them. But no, you did not give her the specific advice to her concerns. Nice try. Sorry. 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

20 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I have a friend who attends church with me whose sister died about 6 months ago. Today she told me that frequently she feels her sister's presence strongly. As if she is watching over her and urging her to go visit her brother in law and her niece. 

Could i please have guidance on what could be happening here? What does the Bible say about any possibility of a loved one's soul still being able to communicate with the living. 

My own thoughts are my friend is grieving and therefore vulnerable. That in grief she wishes her sister to be still near her. The mind can play tricks. Or that maybe evil spirits are impersonating her sister or certainly misleading her to think she is still around? So i have advised my friend to pray to Jesus Christ to guide and protect her. That's all i can think of for now.

I need good sound bible based advice please. 

We cannot communicate directly with those who have gone before us. We can ask God to give them a message, and maybe they can ask God to give us a message, but we can't communicate directly with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

3 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

Those are excellent verses, Raven. Yes, I'm familiar with them. But no, you did not give her the specific advice to her concerns. Nice try. Sorry. 

The word 'specific' is your word. Verses were not asked for, which is what you wanted to see.

Please 'see' and read 'hear' Matthew 13:9-16.  Christ Jesus knew that our eyes and ears are honest, but our mind on self-righteousness is dishonest.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, Raven said:

The word 'specific' is your word. Verses were not asked for, which is what you wanted to see.

Please 'see' and read 'hear' Matthew 13:9-16.  Christ Jesus knew that our eyes and ears are honest, but our mind on self-righteousness is dishonest.

Look, Raven. Melinda asked for "good sound bible based advice." on this phenomena. You didn't give her that. I'm sorry, but that's what she asked for, and not philosophical meanderings. Drop it now. Thanks. 534273338_blinkysmiley.gif.b33dd37061ff186f7bfd851480242cde.gif

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

On 11/27/2019 at 11:04 AM, Melinda12 said:

I have a friend who attends church with me whose sister died about 6 months ago. Today she told me that frequently she feels her sister's presence strongly. As if she is watching over her and urging her to go visit her brother in law and her niece. 

Could i please have guidance on what could be happening here? What does the Bible say about any possibility of a loved one's soul still being able to communicate with the living. 

My own thoughts are my friend is grieving and therefore vulnerable. That in grief she wishes her sister to be still near her. The mind can play tricks. Or that maybe evil spirits are impersonating her sister or certainly misleading her to think she is still around? So i have advised my friend to pray to Jesus Christ to guide and protect her. That's all i can think of for now.

I need good sound bible based advice please. 

Melinda, we can't be visited by spirits as you know.   "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord."   2 Cor. 5:8  You can gently explain this to your friend.

After that, explain to her that it is not the presence of her sister she senses.....but it is most probably that the Holy Spirit is giving her comfort and even a sense of direction to comfort her niece and brother-in-law.   

When we are in grief, sometimes the Lord upholds us with His grace in a special manner.  

• Loved it! 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

The story of Saul and the witch at endor (1 Samuel 28) teach us that it is NOT possible for us to have any kind of contact with those who have died. My point in mentioning this is of the witch's expectation of who she thought she would be in contact with. Scripture says that when the witch began her thing, she was expecting a familiar spirit, which was a demon in reality and not Samuel. She knew from the start, that she would NOT be connecting to a dead human but something else. So when she didn't see the usual familiar spirit, it scared the willies out of her.

The story of the rich man and Lazarus ( Luke 16 ) also point to the fact that those who have died, cannot communicate with those who are still living on earth. The rich man asked for Lazarus to be sent to warn the rich man's brothers only to be told that the brothers had the writings of Moses and the Prophets to listen to. These two stories are the strongest scriptures in regards to our being UNABLE to contact the dead. There are scriptures that also strongly teach against even trying to contact the dead or praying for them, or to them. Under no circumstances are we to ever try to communicate with a dead loved one. Scripture is very firm on that. A huge, huge no-no.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

For sure I can state; there are no human souls, ghosts or spirits that hang around, haunt or linger around after physical death on this earth. They immediately go to one of two places, which are...

For Christians: 2 Corinthians 5:8 (KJV) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

For non-Christians: Luke 16:25 (KJV) But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

The rich man immediately went to Hades [Hell]. The paradise side [Abraham's bosom] was cleaned out and transported to Heaven when Christ lead them there before His Resurrection. The 'torment' side of Hades still remains as a jail for those whom rejected Christ, until the Great White Thrown judgment, when Hades {jail] is thrown into the Lake of Fire [prison for eternity].

2 Thessalonians 2:9 (KJV) Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

Pertaining to your friend; I have no idea if it is a spiritual manifestation or the effects of mourning, loss and grief? If there are indeed supernatural manifestations of presence; they would be coming from the demonic realm.

Necromancy [familiar spirits]is strictly forbidden by God! I Samuel 28: comes to mind. 

Deuteronomy 18:11 (KJV) Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

Catholicism believes Mary [the mother of Jesus] and the Saints; watch over them and are intercessors on their behalf.

1 Timothy 2:5 (KJV) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

I believe I can safely say; if one feels the presence of a departed loved one, and it's not the Holy Spirit or Jesus, it's not of God.And if it's not of God; it's of the flesh or elsewhere.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

On 11/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, Melinda12 said:

I have a friend who attends church with me whose sister died about 6 months ago. Today she told me that frequently she feels her sister's presence strongly. As if she is watching over her

Letting go of someone we love who has died, is a process of letting go.  During this process, many comfort themselves by trying to (inwardly) keep the person alive, and so, as they are doing this, they will say things and believe them, such as your friend is saying to you.

They are trying to cope with the loss.  You are witnessing a coping mechanism.

Others would say something like.  "i can feel my mother's presences all over her home when i go there".  

This is very normal, as coping with death is coping with shock, and shock.....this type, that is so painful, so overwhelming......... the mind does what it has to do to get through it.

I would not be alarmed if i were you.  Just realize the person is coping, and this is a process that can take years before they can let go enough to stop talking the way you are hearing them talk.

Be a good friend to them.  Be a shoulder.  Be very understanding.   Turn off all criticism.   Let them be.   Give them Jesus "who came to HEAL the Broken hearted".....like this person.

Thats the only real solution, and even that one is going to take a while.   Grief is a natural process of life.   Loss hurts, and until it does not, its going to be an emotional sore spot.

Edited by Behold
  • Well Said! 1

Indeed very kind advice. Thanks. 

However, when i was bereaved some years ago, i coped by talking to my late husbands photo and remembering him. BUT i never sensed any presence here. Never felt he was still around. This friend is a strong sensible lady, a christian. She says there is a definite presence which she feels is her sister who died this year. She says she felt a similar presence when her other older sister died. 

I have no explanation for it.