• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,776
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Melinda12 said:

Who here has been on an Alpha Course? I have a few years ago and i found it was very good indeed. 

Do tell us more about your experience with this course, Melinda12. Alpha courses have been around since 1980 and have been mainly part of the Anglican and Baptist curriculum here. I have steered clear of them due to some issues with what they teach, such as ritualism, ecumenism, and works salvation, but many attendees speak favourably of them. Fellowship and edification are important but not at the expense of sound doctrine.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

Well, very straightforward. I enjoyed it. Nice meal to start each session. Easy atmosphere, chatting to people. Nicky Gumbel is excellent, usually we watched a DVD of him speaking, then broke up into groups to discuss. Our vicar took our course.  It gives newcomers a good introduction to Christianity. Many people formed long term housegroup afterwards. I was already a christian but felt i learned things and was able to help those who had not yet committed to Christ. 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Never heard of it? Ran a Google search to see what it was about, and in particular the Baptist aspect of it? Guess what was the only thing that popped up under "Alpha Course", you guessed it, this thread on this forum?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

4 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

I've been reading up on this course, Michael, and I share your concerns. What alarms me the most about this stuff is the ecumenism which drives it which smacks of this world and the accuser's systems.

Gumbel, of Holy Trinity Brompton, the heart of Anglican church growth in the diocese of London and the nation, told a gathering of nearly 900 Catholic bishops, priests and laity: "I love the Catholic Church - she is leading the way in evangelisation."

He spelled out his Alpha recipe for success, but said key to his current thinking was the 2013 encyclical of Pope Francis on evangelisation and the joy of the gospel, Evangelii Gaudium.

Everyone, not just Catholics, should read the encyclical and put it into practice. He said he was reading and re-reading it. "If every Christian in England put Evangelii Gaudium into practice the nation would be transformed," Gumbel said, adding that the Church would also be revitalised and transformed.

I FOUND THIS IN FIVE SECONDS FLAT .     its all a scam to get us linked together as one under the harlot .

I did research this course long ago .   Its all bad news just sold in a way to seduce folks right into it .

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 2

29 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

I went to one s very long time ago.

I enjoyed most of it, but was put off by the heavy emphasis on charismatic stuff and the pressure to have to speak in tongues to prove holy spirit.

However, there are many forms of alpha course nowadays, even one for Catholics.

Gumbel, of Holy Trinity Brompton, the heart of Anglican church growth in the diocese of London and the nation, told a gathering of nearly 900 Catholic bishops, priests and laity: "I love the Catholic Church - she is leading the way in evangelisation."

He spelled out his Alpha recipe for success, but said key to his current thinking was the 2013 encyclical of Pope Francis on evangelisation and the joy of the gospel, Evangelii Gaudium.

Everyone, not just Catholics, should read the encyclical and put it into practice. He said he was reading and re-reading it. "If every Christian in England put Evangelii Gaudium into practice the nation would be transformed," Gumbel said, adding that the Church would also be revitalised and transformed.

GOTTA LOOK OUT for those I love .  FLEE THIS THING and never look back .

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

4 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Well, very straightforward. I enjoyed it. Nice meal to start each session. Easy atmosphere, chatting to people. Nicky Gumbel is excellent, usually we watched a DVD of him speaking, then broke up into groups to discuss. Our vicar took our course.  It gives newcomers a good introduction to Christianity. Many people formed long term housegroup afterwards. I was already a christian but felt i learned things and was able to help those who had not yet committed to Christ. 

NICKY GUMBEL is in BED WITH POPE FRANCIS .     Not good .    

• This is Worthy 2

4 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

NICKY GUMBEL is in BED WITH POPE FRANCIS .     Not good .    

Now this i did not know. I will look up what i can but what in your view are the main implications of this stance? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I would approach the Alpha course cautiously. It can mislead. We must reject anything that contradicts the Bible.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 3