nebula

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

I have worldly friends who know me and like me, but I do not seek their advice. If I have a life question, I go to Christians. My inner circle of friends are believers. I go to trusted men and women of God for advice and counsel. I will not take counsel from those who are not in touch with the heart of the Father.

Shiloh, does this mean for moral issues only or opinion from other too?

You are right the Bible tells us to ask advice of Godly people , but I work with unbelievers and they DO know what I believe and respect me for it but it doesn't mean that we can't have a lot of laughs when we're working together.

When it comes to moral issues they know where I stand.

I don't believe in preaching all the time when they know what I believe I don't want to trow pearls before the swines.

No matter where I am I'm still shining for the Lord because of The Holy Spirit living in me even if I'm silent :glare:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357
Shiloh, does this mean for moral issues only or opinion from other too?

I am talking about life questions. Things that bear directly on my walk with the Lord and I need direction. I always seek Godly counsel in those situations.

If it has to do with a mundane subject car repairs, the best Italian restaurant, or technical computer question, I don't mind them telling me what they think.

If we don't control how the worldly folks interact with us, then we are constantly having to needlessly battle temptation and/or having to constantly clean up after ourselves after we have been acting like the world.

The bottom line is that when it comes to my interactions with those who are unsaved, they are lost. We have what they need, not the other way around. We don't need to be like them. It doesn't mean being a snob and acting all superior. It means pro-actively limiting their ability to influence us. It means acting like a light.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Christians who can't talk about the Lord at work. They cannot bring a bible to work and put it on their desk. They know that any effort to be a witness for the Lord now, would make them a reproach and a laughing stock. They have already told, and/or laughed at too many dirty jokes, lost their temper, or gossipped about co-workers too many times. Many of these people cannot invite an unsaved co-worker to church, and certainly cannot allow their church friends and co workers to meet. Their double mindedness would be exposed.

Light offends darkness. It does not allow for excuses, it does not compromise with the darkness. Too many are afraid of "offending," so they try to keep their faith under wraps, and just try to be nice. Unfortunately, it gives the enemy the upper hand. Christians, in that scenario, become the influenced, instead of being the influencers. That is not how it should be.

Light offends darkness. It does not allow for excuses, it does not compromise with the darkness. Too many are afraid of "offending," so they try to keep their faith under wraps, and just try to be nice. Unfortunately, it gives the enemy the upper hand. Christians, in that scenario, become the influenced, instead of being the influencers. That is not how it should be.

It is sometimes so very hard not to influenced at work by people who love to talk or complain about other people, (expesially the bosses and they ARE NOT GOOD TO WORK FOR :emot-highfive: ) so often I prayed to be strong and not to say anything, and so often I prayed God to give me strenght not to stay strong and focus on Him only , but I have to admit too many times I felt awful when I came home because I got sucked into it again. (Not because I wanted too) and had to ask God to forgive me again.

This seems to be my weak point at work because the situation is often bad around us to work, there seems to be always somebody who get growled at.

I could look for a different job, but this one is just across the road where I live and only temporary.

I'm glad its just season work .

I need prayer for the next 2 1/2 months

Angels

Guest shiloh357

It is sometimes so very hard not to influenced at work by people who love to talk or complain about other people, (expesially the bosses and they ARE NOT GOOD TO WORK FOR :24: ) so often I prayed to be strong and not to say anything, and so often I prayed God to give me strenght not to stay strong and focus on Him only , but I have to admit too many times I felt awful when I came home because I got sucked into it again. (Not because I wanted too) and had to ask God to forgive me again.

This seems to be my weak point at work because the situation is often bad around us to work, there seems to be always somebody who get growled at.

I could look for a different job, but this one is just across the road where I live and only temporary.

I'm glad its just season work .

I need prayer for the next 2 1/2 months

Angels

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is hard at times, Angels. I have had people try to "guilt" me into participating by calling me anti-social and stuff, when that is really not the case. One time, they were going to buy my boss some lottery tickets for his birthday, since he plays the lottery a lot. They thought it would be a gift he would appreciate. I would not donate for that kind of present because I do not believe in gambling. Well that did not sit well, and I was told that I was being rude for not donating to my own bosses present. I had to explain that it went against my convictions, but that I was not disparaging them if they wanted to give him that gift. It was their money to use as they wished, and my money was my own to use at my discretion.

Taking a stand will isolate you at times, and alienate you from the people around you. It will make you look mean and snobby, but that is because the world hates anyone who has a consistent testimony.

I will be praying for you Angels. You just need to go in on the offensive where the enemy is concerned. Submit all of it to the Lord, but be pro-active where your testimony is concerned. Light is not passive. It dispels darkness. It is not easy, and you will catch some flack. If your friends at work are so quick to turn you away because you serve Jesus, they are not your friends.

[

I will be praying for you Angels. You just need to go in on the offensive where the enemy is concerned. Submit all of it to the Lord, but be pro-active where your testimony is concerned. Light is not passive. It dispels darkness. It is not easy, and you will catch some flack. If your friends at work are so quick to turn you away because you serve Jesus, they are not your friends.

Thank you for willing to pray for me, believe me I DO need it the next 2 1/2 monts, but with the help from the Holy Spirit I will really try to be the witness God wants me to be. They do already know what I believe , but this stupid complaining people do thats the problem not to get sucked in to agree and feed it.

Thank you very much for your prayer!!

I know that with God eveything is possible.

Love in Christ Angels :24:

Guest shiloh357
Thank you for willing to pray for me, believe me I DO need it the next 2 1/2 monts, but with the help from the Holy Spirit I will really try

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

To me not being of this world is this:

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. <>John14:27

I do not seek comfort or help in troubles from the world. Nothing in this world can make you "feel comfort". Oh sure you can get a temporary fix in this world, but for a permanment fix you need Jesus. :) We can be in the world, but don't depend on the world its fickle, depend on Jesus.

I hope that made sense.... :(

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/29/1978

Think of it like being in a room of alcoholics that are drinking, and being sober and not drinking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ItThat's great as long as you're not being a prude amongst all those drunks. I was a bartender at the local legion for a couple of years and one of the most frequent comments I got was how I managed to dal with all those drunks. It was simple . They were like little kids misbehaving and I repremanded them like a parent when they got out of hand :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, just trying to give an analogy. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not easy to be part of the world but not of the world. Yet we can do it because the Lord gave us the Holy Spirit to guide us. Its up to us to be in clear tune with Him by living a Holy life made up of prayer, fasting and obedience rather than rebellion.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Henry Blackaby wrote a great, short article about this very topic. I thought I would post it for those who are interested.

In the World, but Not of It

by Henry T. Blackaby

The Scriptures contrast the thinking of the world with Truth from God. God warns us not to:

-- "walk in the counsel of the ungodly"

-- "stand in the way of sinners"

-- "sit in the seat of the scornful" (Psalm 1:1)

John urges believers in an even stronger way:

-- "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world -- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life -- is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever" (1 John 2:15-17).

But it is equally important to notice that Jesus gave His heart for the Father's desire to work through His people "... in the world ...":

-- "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is Truth. As You sent Me into the world, I have sent them into the world" (John 17:15-18).

There will always be tension in the sincere Christian's life between their desire to "seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness" (Matthew 6:33) so as to honor God, and to feel the pressures from the world to follow their worldview and their counsel. The world is cynical, and even scornful, of believers who openly live and share their faith in their world influence and work. The world today is shouting: "Separation of church and state -- take religion out of the marketplaces of America, and especially government decision making!"

This counsel is not to be heeded. The counsel of God is greatly needed in the secular arenas of our nation. This nation has strong witness from her founding fathers, those who led her through civil war and world wars, and even those who lead in this present hour. A republic founded as "one nation under God" can only survive on the wisdom of God, especially in the lives of its leaders. And God's wisdom, and warning, for us is clear: "Righteousness exalts a nation, and sin is a reproach to any people" (Proverbs 14:34).

Sin, as God has defined it, unrestrained by the presence of godly people (when they cease to be salt and light) will be the ruin of a nation. However, God's people, when actively present and expressing freely their faith, are life that preserves a nation. The open and free witness of God's people is the key to a great nation, for it is then that God blesses a nation. History is witness to the nations and peoples who were richly blessed by God as they actively lived out their faith "in the world." God's people, freely sharing God's Good News, are like light that continually dispels the darkness. Americans have been that light, and America has been blessed because of it.

Now is the time to be a strong and faithful witness to the truth of God in all the marketplaces of the nation and in the homes and neighborhoods across the land. Our nation desperately needs the truth and wisdom that can only come from God through His people.

A link to this article...

http://www.blackaby.org/resources/articles/World.asp

Guest gabesdad

This article causes me to consider my walk, and where I fit in relation to the question. I realize that my walk is the only one that I can control . I also know his strength & love is the is guidance I need. I know that I can accomplish

this walk using his tools. 1. prayer 2. His word 3. the fellowship of other Christians.

I would appreciate prayer for myself in this walk.

with his Love

Gabesdad (Terry)

Edited by gabesdad