• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I really didn't know where to put this. So if you Mods know a better forum go ahead and move it. But this is kind of a problem. I don't think it's a problem but I'm almost a dinosaur. However God still wants me here.

So what exactly constitutes a favor or doing someone a favor? That's the question. I'll give my answer first.

If I do you a favor that means I'm going to get nothing in return for it, most especially not money. Now this doesn't mean I don't hope that someday you will do me a favor, but it's not a payback it's more of a gratitude. I learned this as "one hand washes the other". (I broke my wrist in the 3rd grade and water proof casts didn't exist back then) So without my families help I couldn't wash the unbroken hand. Besides this, isn't doing favors (with nothing expected in return) how alliances are formed, both nationally and between private individuals?

I'm almost certain this was once true. Is this now false? And I mean big things and little things. For example If I ask you to carry my trash out the garbage pail do I now owe you $5.00? (assuming the garbage pails are 20 to 30 ft away)  Another example, You own a car but I don't. I ask you to do me a favor and drive me to the supermarket which is 5 miles away. Is it sufficient to give you a few dollars for gas or am I obligated to pay you for doing me the favor of driving me to the supermarket? So that may mean I have to pay you $10 or $20 plus the gas money.

In my mind if I have to pay someone to do something then it's not a favor, it's a job. Am I wrong?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

I'd say I agree. Unless details like a potential charge is discussed beforehand, it's a favor. To do whatever it is and THEN demand a reward is both moronic and scummy. Though, if someone helped me out, I'd want to repay it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, JTC said:

I really didn't know where to put this. So if you Mods know a better forum go ahead and move it. But this is kind of a problem. I don't think it's a problem but I'm almost a dinosaur. However God still wants me here.

So what exactly constitutes a favor or doing someone a favor? That's the question. I'll give my answer first.

If I do you a favor that means I'm going to get nothing in return for it, most especially not money. Now this doesn't mean I don't hope that someday you will do me a favor, but it's not a payback it's more of a gratitude. I learned this as "one hand washes the other". (I broke my wrist in the 3rd grade and water proof casts didn't exist back then) So without my families help I couldn't wash the unbroken hand. Besides this, isn't doing favors (with nothing expected in return) how alliances are formed, both nationally and between private individuals?

I'm almost certain this was once true. Is this now false? And I mean big things and little things. For example If I ask you to carry my trash out the garbage pail do I now owe you $5.00? (assuming the garbage pails are 20 to 30 ft away)  Another example, You own a car but I don't. I ask you to do me a favor and drive me to the supermarket which is 5 miles away. Is it sufficient to give you a few dollars for gas or am I obligated to pay you for doing me the favor of driving me to the supermarket? So that may mean I have to pay you $10 or $20 plus the gas money.

In my mind if I have to pay someone to do something then it's not a favor, it's a job. Am I wrong?

I agree with your answer. A favor is doing something for another without expecting anything in return. This I believe is still true, however in this upside down world we live in today, where everything right and pure is being trampled and replaced with filth and evil, many will feel this view is old school and nobody does anything for nothing!

Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

However I will continue to do favors for others, and I will not expect anything in return.

God bless ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

On 12/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, JTC said:

If you do someone a favor you are doing something to help someone within reason. You should not ask that the favor be returned. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 12/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, JTC said:

Yes, you are wrong. A favor asked is a favor owed in return. It is different from alms requested or charity given. It is also not a job, but a barter something now for a future return when needed.

The word favor implies  a tally is being kept. I do you a favor you do me one. While charity has no tally, it is eleemosynary, given without credit, without any return being sought at all.

The eleemosynary heart seeks no gas money, nor would it really want to accept it if offered. It just does because the opportunity to do so is there.

• 7 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 12/3/2019 at 5:47 PM, JTC said:

A favor is from one open heart to another. That is laymans terms.