dhchristian

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  0

There is an aversion in this day and age to admonishing and correction in the body of Christ. What does this really mean? Read this short sermon from an early church father to see what our view should be regarding this.

Let us then also pray for those who have fallen into any sin, that meekness and humility may be given to them, so that they may submit, not to us, but to the will of God. For in this way they shall secure a fruitful and perfect remembrance from us, with sympathy for them, both in our prayers to God, and our mention of them to the saints. Let us receive correction, beloved, on account of which no one should feel displeased. Those exhortations by which we admonish one another are both good [in themselves] and highly profitable, for they tend to unite us to the will of God. For thus says the holy Word: "The Lord has severely chastened me, yet has not given me over to death." "For whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives." "The righteous," it says, "shall chasten me in mercy, and reprove me; but let not the oil of sinners make fat my head." And again he says, "Blessed is the man whom the Lord reproves, and reject not the warning of the Almighty.

For He causes sorrow, and again restores [to gladness]; He wounds, and His hands make whole. He shall deliver you in six troubles, yea, in the seventh no evil shall touch you. In famine He shall rescue you from death, and in war He shall free you from the power of the sword. From the scourge of the tongue will He hide you, and you shall not fear when evil comes. you shall hugh at the unrighteous and the wicked, and shall not be afraid of the beasts of the field. For the wild beasts shall be at peace with you: then shall you know that your house shall be in peace, and the habitation of your tabernacle shall not fail?

You shall know also that your seed shall be great, and your children like the grass of the field. And you shall come to the grave like ripened corn which is reaped in its season, or like a heap of the threshing-floor which is gathered together at the proper time." You see, beloved, that protection is afforded to those who are chastened of the Lord; for since God is good, He corrects us, that we may be admonished by His holy chastisement.

Clement Of Rome, Circa 95 AD, which makes this one of the earliest church writings we have that is not canon.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=36932

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

6 hours ago, dhchristian said:

There is an aversion in this day and age to admonishing and correction in the body of Christ.

Sorry but I do not find there is a universal  body of Christ that acts in unison in that manner. Certainly the churches I have attended and been member of do practice Matthew 18 as well as teach correction and the advantage of having accountability partners.

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Sorry but I do not find there is a universal  body of Christ that acts in unison in that manner. Certainly the churches I have attended and been member of do practice Matthew 18 as well as teach correction and the advantage of having accountability partners.

This is the first time I have read anything by Clement of Rome. I Understand he is considered to be one of the first Popes by the catholic church, But that is not the reason I posted this. This was written well before the corruptions began and gives us a picture into the apostolic church. He Wrote this around the same time as John wrote the Gospel of John, Just to give you an idea of how early we are talking about. I Wrote this because many churches today are preaching a tolerance message that is contrary to the early church, where admonition and correction was welcomed and seen as Fatherly Discipline from the LORD. Perhaps, You are in one of the Good churches that still practices this, I know many who do not.  

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

33 minutes ago, dhchristian said:

Perhaps, You are in one of the Good churches that still practices this, I know many who do not.  

Is your church practicing this, and
could I ask how your church does it?

24 minutes ago, Sower said:

The answer is right there in the Word of God, Speaking the Truth in Love. (Eph. 4:15)

If You have not done so already, Go and watch a series of videos on YouTube by " the Fuel Project" called the War on Truth. (It's broken down into 5-10 minute sections so its easy to watch as time allows) This will give you a good idea how to incorporate this admonition into healthy church functioning. First and foremost it is an attitude, as indicated by this article, a view that admonition and correction is healthy, and that one who receives admonition and correction exemplifies humility. This begins at the top with the clergy. It begins with "can the teacher be taught", a spirit in them that is not lording over the people, but one that is a brother and sister of the people they serve, and prone to the same errors everyone else is. Then the Holy Ghost can begin to move the congregation in the same direction, Towards Truth, without suppressing love and being condemning.

The attitude is infectious, in a good way. Clement of Rome was the Leader of the church in Rome, and considered to be the next Pope after Peter, yet he was willing to admit this. Submission is to the Will of God, Not the leaders of the church, as the article stresses. A Far cry from the hierarchies and catechisms of most churches today that require submission to the church's governing body and or denomination. There is Only One True church, and One Head of that Body, and that is Christ Jesus Our Lord, all the rest of it is man made religion. The Truth of the Word of God stands apart from all of that, and to Him we are to submit, and to his will.

Why this is so hard today to happen is that, apart from repentance for getting caught in adultery or something like that, the leaders of the churches have placed themselves on a pedestal above the people and use that pedestal to gain their trust. To admit to error on their part is to (so they think) to lose that trust, But the opposite is true, the congregation and they themselves begin to sympathize with one another in the struggles we all face. Paul's words in 1 Cor 12 come to mind here...And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. (1 Cor. 12:26)

Or even the Words of John the Baptist, "He must increase, I must decrease". Many of the churches have become a cults of personality instead of the body of Christ. The Solution is simple, But when the man at the helm is set upon killing his white whale then the enactment of this attitude is Hard to overcome.

Pray for the servant heart in your leaders is where you can begin.   

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,242
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, dhchristian said:

The answer is right there in the Word of God, Speaking the Truth in Love. (Eph. 4:15)

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, Sower said:

My church does .    

And I sure do too .

If one is in sin and wont repent ,   They separated out , TILL they repent .

Got folks all over my own natural family of the flesh so hostile at me for some things ,  but I wont change .

Oh,   a man in the family got remarried yet again .   Before he did ,  I was a warning him you going right into adultery .

Course the man was going all over telling everyone what I did and how I wont keep one bit of company with him .

He even went to my own mom , who had to call me and ask what is going on .

I told her .     She then says well at least you tried to warn him ,  but after he gets married to go ahead and return company .

TO which I told mom ,   NOPE  , then he would be AN ADULTERER .  and I can have no company with him till he leaves that wife .

I know yall think I am extreme .    Got family members in tears about all this .

But I will do what is right and pray for that man ,  HIMS IN GRAVE DIRE DEADLY DANGER ,  if he don't repent of that adulterous marriage.