IGNORED

Loaves and fishes question

Speaking today to an unbeliever friend, discussion turned to the Bible. He is a person who is non-contentious, just curious about the Bible. 

He said years ago he read the Bible and the account of the feeding of the 5000. He had always wondered how Christ did it. Was it symbolic or literal? I actually did not know what to reply. So i did what i do nowadays. Told him the truth. That i have faith, i believe the whole Bible is true but that many things have to be unpacked in order to get to what it is teaching us. I promised him i would ask the opinion of the Christian forum i belong to and bring him an answer next time i see him. 

So, what is the opinion here ? Is this account literal or symbolic? I want to give my friend an answer that leads him to God and truth, that inspires his curiosity and ignites faith. Here is an opportunity.  

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I feel it was literal. 5000 men - not counting women and children- were fed by multiplied loaves and fishes. Another event was similar - 4000 men fed in same way - they were separate events, different numbers of baskets were filled with leftovers.

I think there was an OT food-multiplication miracle with Elijah though on a smaller scale.

What an odd thing to be a point of witness, as Jesus had said of some people that they were interested because they ate and were filled, rather than realizing the truth of His message.

In any case, I hope you find the answers you need, Melinda12, and can make an effective witness.

What would be the point of SYMBOLIC FOOD MULTIPLICATION?

At one point, Jesus was speaking symbolically of "the leaven of the Pharisees", explaining to the confused disciples that he meant the DOCTRINE of the Pharisees, not real bread and leaven, deliberately contrasting the disciples wondering about "real bread" to the two incidents of feeding the 5000 and 4000, and the 12 and 7 baskets full of leftovers, like, "You're worried about REAL BREAD? You saw what I did with 5000 and 4000 - you picked up tons of leftovers!"

Edited by Buddy D. Mouse
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Speaking today to an unbeliever friend, discussion turned to the Bible. He is a person who is non-contentious, just curious about the Bible. 

He said years ago he read the Bible and the account of the feeding of the 5000. He had always wondered how Christ did it. Was it symbolic or literal? I actually did not know what to reply. So i did what i do nowadays. Told him the truth. That i have faith, i believe the whole Bible is true but that many things have to be unpacked in order to get to what it is teaching us. I promised him i would ask the opinion of the Christian forum i belong to and bring him an answer next time i see him. 

So, what is the opinion here ? Is this account literal or symbolic? I want to give my friend an answer that leads him to God and truth, that inspires his curiosity and ignites faith. Here is an opportunity.  

The Bible doesn't lie. If the Bible says the Lord fed 5000, he fed 5000. That doesn't mean there isn't symbolism in the Bible.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

My dear friend, it is literal. Christ performed a miracle, he feed the 5000. Christ performed many miracles, through out the bible beginning from turning water into wine to raising the dead. However this isn't my opinion, it is the truth of the word of God.

John2:11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.

John 12:1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead....

You can simply tell your friend the truth, God performed miracles and Christ also performed miracles,and still does today. You had stated( He had always wondered how Christ did it) the (answer that leads him to God and truth, that inspires his curiosity and ignites faith.) Is simple, by his statement (he always wondered how he did it...)

This is your beginning. Your friend has to believe in Christ for your friend to wonder anything about Christ.

Show him the miraculous way that Christ was formed in Mary's womb. Show him the miraculous ways in which God kept Jesus from being killed, then show him how Jesus was anointed by the holy spirit ( The same holy spirit that performed the conception of Christ that overshadowed Mary) by this spirit Christ performed the miracle of feeding the 5000.

You see your friend wonders how Jesus did this, well you can show him that because he believes there is a God, that gave us Jesus his son, Jesus intern does what the father does, performs miracles. ( I hope this isn't confusing) then allow him time to think upon that, pray for him and allow the same Holy Spirit to work by drawing him to Christ.

God bless ?

I just feel the weight of responsibility when someone asks a question. I know my answer will influence whether that person is led to Christ or put off yet again. 

I know it is vital to have faith before one can see. But an unbeliever is on the other side. They will only believe what they can see. They look for logic whereas we know miracles are real. 

When i was pre-christian, the Bible was just a book to me, something important and yet irrelevant. Nothing to do with 'real life'. Once i believed, it became the Book of Life to me, the greatest truth ever told and my unending source of strength and comfort. I so much want that for others. But i came to believe by going through enormous pain of bereavement. Must it be pain that brings people to God? I know our words and actions as Christians are vital in directing others to the path that leads to salvation. What a responsibility! So as soon as someone asks a question about the Bible it is so important to take it seriously as our answer could set them ablaze with understanding or put them off. It is a green light, a window of opportunity. 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Of course Jesus Christ had the ability to create a miracle and feed all those people with a small amount of food. He did it for His glory. 

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.99

It was literal, ...I have "experienced"twice the Lord multiplying food I was serving, the first time was back in the States and my pastor was standing right next to me and saw it too, ...that was to prepare me for coming here, the second time was here, we had prepared a Thanksgiving meal to show our friends and explain the Thanksgiving story, ...and the Lord multiplied the food and all ate until they were satiated, ...to give me credibility in their eyes.

All of the praise and Glory goes to my Lord!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

5 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I just feel the weight of responsibility when someone asks a question. I know my answer will influence whether that person is led to Christ or put off yet again. 

I know it is vital to have faith before one can see. But an unbeliever is on the other side. They will only believe what they can see. They look for logic whereas we know miracles are real. 

When i was pre-christian, the Bible was just a book to me, something important and yet irrelevant. Nothing to do with 'real life'. Once i believed, it became the Book of Life to me, the greatest truth ever told and my unending source of strength and comfort. I so much want that for others. But i came to believe by going through enormous pain of bereavement. Must it be pain that brings people to God? I know our words and actions as Christians are vital in directing others to the path that leads to salvation. What a responsibility! So as soon as someone asks a question about the Bible it is so important to take it seriously as our answer could set them ablaze with understanding or put them off. It is a green light, a window of opportunity. 

First dear friend, it is God who draws one( by the holy spirit) to come to Christ. We come along side of the spirit as he's drawing a person, to plant a seed or water a seed.( 1 Corinthians 3:6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow)

As you answer questions to anyone, do as you are. You had told your friend you didn't know and that you would try to find the answer. Your doing right, as you are getting answers that can be helpful, your reading the word and praying, you can share this with your friend,but please remember your job is not to convince them that God's word is true. This is the Holy Spirit's job. 

God is using you, he started the conversation between you and your friend. God knew how you would respond and he made you the way you are and uses your witnessing to be effective for those he places in your path. As you continue to show Christ in your life, as you just live your day to day life for him, God will continue to bring people in your path, because you are being a light. 

Let me encourage you dear friend,(The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delights in his way. 

God bless you ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  1,214
  • Content Per Day:  0.50

16 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

here is my take on it.

if you believe God is all powerful and He can make anything happen and Jesus is the son of God.

then you have to believe He had the ability to perform a miracle and feed 5000

in another word, don't over think it.

take it literally.

i think one only need to rationalize it when they don't believe the power of God.

i mean this is the God that created heaven and earth, miracles like feeding the 5000 is very minor, don't you think?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.42

16 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Hi Melinda,

The World, and worldly Christians want to rationalize the miraculous and supernatural acts of God all the time. Some say Noah's flood was a regional flood, or the destruction of Sodom and Gommorrah was an airburst of a comet, or that the miracles of Christ were metaphorical the red sea is the reed sea.... The list is endless. They are in essence denying God, and his omnipotence to act in the natural world in supernatural ways. This is known as Deism, and is what many freemasons hold to. You yourself are a theist, and believe the testimony of the Word of God, and that means the literal working of the supernatural by a God who does intervene according to his will in the natural world. The Word of God is a testimony of these actions and is what You choose to believe by faith.

Then read to him the account of Thomas found in John 20:24ff, and particularly verse 29, which states: Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2