Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

The first time I stumbled upon a Bible that I could actually understand, I could not put it down......perhaps it was because I kept reading good stuff that my church never taught ......

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,515
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  11

13 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

The first time I stumbled upon a Bible that I could actually understand, I could not put it down......perhaps it was because I kept reading good stuff that my church never taught ......

Couldn't decided whether to react with a "HaHa" or a "Praise God" :D

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Schedules for Bible reading make no more sense to me than Schedules for Praying......If there is no inner desire to do these things naturally, “ pray without ceasing” as opposed to being coerced into it......something is missing......I hope it isn’t what I suspect it is.....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  1

I was taught to read through the Bible in a year and every year do it again, ...because we need the Word in us for the Holy Spirit to speak to us, which is Good advice and true,  ...I did that for some years both before and after I came here, then, being all alone, I discovered I needed particular answers on things every day, so the Holy Spirit would "illuminate" a verse stored unconsciously in my mind, ...since I brought all of my reference books with me that would cause me to go to them and search out what was the meaning and the spiritual principle in the verse He gave me, ...it was always apropos and exactly what I needed for the situation or circumstance in my life at that moment, ...like has been stated, read the Bible, ...then let the Bible read you and you will find the Holy Spirit has you walking in the footsteps of Jesus...

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,870
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Before I retired I was driving a bit over 3,500 miles a month before/during my work day and discovered that I learned more listening to the Bible than I did reading. Not everyone learns that way, but those of us that do love mp3 files of the Bible.....   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Upon further thinking.....,

The Bible is a collection of books, and not a book. It is some 66 books, about 35 to 40 books more than the volumes of  an old timey encyclopedia. I would not choose to read an encyclopedia  from A to Z ever, never mind alphabetically in a year's time.  Though I would travel through a wealth of information trying to do so it would do me little good and perhaps just do me harm in that I would never get through A before I would come to dislike the whole idea of the encyclopedia.  Instead of reading through it, I might really use that encyclopedia if I could go to the volume on the history and particulars of something, and then put that information to use.

I have been a member within more than one church that goes through the Bible "Verse by Verse", plus one that simply read through it from Genesis to Jude while never reading Revelation before it went back to Genesis to read through yet again and again. I think I have gained more from "topical" studies where all the information that may be found on a subject or topic or situation  is searched out throughout the Bible, made sense of,  and then applied in daily life.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

On 12/7/2019 at 10:00 AM, Isaiah53NIV said:

I think it's important for a person to read the Bible as fast or slow as he/she feels led to. Sometimes, though, it's difficult to ignore external pressures. Some of this "speed reading" might be due to these apps and websites that prompt people to set up reading plans. I use the Bible Study Tools website, and there is a reading plan option where a person is able to read through the entire Bible in 90 days. A person might also feel pressure from other people to read too fast. I brought up reading for understanding to another believer a few months back, and because this person did not feel I was reading "fast" enough, I was told I should look into using a visual version of the Bible or listen to it being read to me. I know I don't need to do either. Right now I am just trying to read straight through the New Testament, and I am going as fast as I should be :)

I agree.  What is the point of rushing through God's Word as if it's a race.  If I were to find meaning and understanding of the truth, I wouldn't want to risk missing the full context because of some set schedule or timeline.  Reading bible everyday is necessary, I believe, but even I admit that I let life get in the way of taking time like I should. 

Bottom line is, it's not the amount of content read, it is the amount of content understood.  The Bible Study Tools website is a good idea!  I'm always looking for ways to better comprehend scripture.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

We should read the Bible and study it. If we can not understand certain parts of it we need to find a reputable Bible teacher to teach us the truth about what we do not understand. There is no reason to rush through it. 

• Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1