ReneeIW

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

I know as Christians  we should not be superstitious, but I was wondering if all superstitions were  inherently evil?

There  is one superstition all the women in my family have, and it has rubbed off on me. Whenever something really good happens to me, I start bracing myself  for something terrible to occur.

whenever something really good  happens to me, I get an instant and  very intense feeling that something really bad is about  to happen, and usually it does- sometimes the very next day.  Is this a sinful superstition, to always be worried about something bad happening when something good happens? Or do you think that God actually brings good into our lives to brace us or prepare us for something bad that may be coming down the pike? 

Edited by ReneeIW

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Any type of worrying is a sin.Of course , thank God, it is covered by Grace.....

“ Don’t worry about anything , but pray about everything”

Those that reject Grace and substitute “ Lucky Repentance” to keep their Salvation, need to repent of this sin on top of the 613  sins they commit each day..... “ If you break  ONE COMMANDMENT- you are guilty of breaking them all”........wrote James.....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Any type of worrying is a sin.Of course , thank God, it is covered by Grace.....

Does the Bible actually teach that worrying is a sin? Wasn't Christ worried in the Garden of Gethsemane?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

I know as Christians  we should not be superstitious, but I was wondering if all superstitions were  inherently evil?

There  is one superstition all the women in my family have, and it has rubbed off on me. Whenever something really good happens to me, I start bracing myself  for something terrible to occur.

whenever something really good  happens to me, I get an instant and  very intense feeling that something really bad is about  to happen, and usually it does- sometimes the very next day.  Is this a sinful superstition, to always be worried about something bad happening when something good happens? Or do you think that God actually brings good into our lives to brace us or prepare us for something bad that may be coming down the pike? 

Superstitions and Christianity do not go together. Our faith is on God not being concerned about worldly superstitions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Superstitions and Christianity do not go together. Our faith is on God not being concerned about worldly superstitions. 

I wonder if some things are God given instincts, and not actually superstitions.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

7 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

I wonder if some things are God given instincts, and not actually superstitions.

Quite possibly the Lord gives us things to be very wary of. One of the things is that God hates mixtures. He likes pure, so when we mix occult stuff with Christian stuff, we should get a bad feeling. Problem is, the pagan stuff has so intertwined its stuff with our day to day things that it is getting harder to discern it.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.95
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

It's almost like borderline witchcraft. Bad enough. People in a state of undue and anticipated fear can become obsessive and phobic. It leads to possible paranoia. It's definitely not good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Good things and bad things happen to everyone.  Not necessarily after each other, but it is kind of natural to look for the bad to come as it usually does in one form or another.  My thinking is that if you are expecting it can you actually cause some of the bad by expecting it.  Don't think it's actually a sin though 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, ReneeIW said:

Another meaning for superstitions is idolatry. We know what the Bible says about idolatry. It is very bad in the eyes of God. No, it is all bad. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, other one said:

My thinking is that if you are expecting it can you actually cause some of the bad by expecting it

I hope that’s not true. I have one recent example.

I received  $500 out of nowhere on a day that I was stressing out over bills(we had some unexpected expenses). After getting the cash, I had a very intense feeling something was going to happen and told my husband and daughter. A few hours later my son walks in the room screaming that he swallowed a quarter. We ended up having to rush him to the emergency room to have it removed. Costs us $3600 out of pocket(the insurance paid $9000). 

That is just one of  many examples. It sounds silly but every single time I get the bad feeling, something happens. Sometimes something very serious happens.

I can also tell when a quarterback is about to throw an interception. It scares my husband every time. I’m getting scared just writing this now Lol