IGNORED

Is it wrong to want to read about a different religion ?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Prodigal Son said:

I can't believe the condemnation some (not all) people have given to the legitimate question asked by the op @Newsie4ever.

She specifically said she "checked out a book about the history of the Islamic religion" She is not saying she is going to read the quran or thinking of changing faith.

Then she posted "I just want to learn about different things for education purposes only that's all " Understandably she wisely disengaging after that post as most people were taking her question out of context and some were being hostile. What is so bad about wanting to learn about the history of anything?

I live in a multicultural city. The area where I live is the hub of the muslim community of the city. There is also a fair community of Hindus and Buddhists. I grew up interacting with these people in work and play. I've always known people of these faiths and had friends from these faiths, especially muslims.

Is it wrong to learning something about the history their faiths? Is it wrong to have friends of people of other faiths?

Now people have taken it a step further and are talking about learning some of the theology of other religions. I can understand some people who have worries about a person being converted to a false religion. But to suggest that it is wrong, bad or evil to learn anything about another faith is nonsensical.

The heads of our Christian churches know a lot about the theology of other religions so in effect you are calling your own church leaders evil. So I find it absurd that anyone would offer advise to a fellow Christian by telling them their evil. I know it's the internet but it's still appalling advise to give and a horrible accusation to make.

Your post actually seems more hostile than any others on this thread, to my mind, Prodigal Son. It's a given that when you start a thread it is open to a wide spectrum of opinions, and often these are based on sound doctrine and valuable experience.

The very title of the thread and content of the OP implies the poster has an inkling that there may be issues to navigate, and other posters are right to be concerned.

2Ti 4:1-4
(1)  I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
(2)  Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
(3)  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
(4)  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

5 hours ago, Revlori said:

This is the danger of reading about different religion's, one must be careful and lead by God while you read. So that you don't become deceived and lead astray.

I agree mostly with what you say. But while we are looking under the bed for 'bad stuff' we are embracing things in our own churches that are wrong by God's standards. Take the Gnostic gospel for instance; few understand how it has seeped in to our church society and fewer yet can discern it. And this is just 'our' religion or a variation of it.

Truth is, if you are taken in by 'another spirit' it does not matter the source since it probably has tagged most believers in some way or other. The WAY is indeed narrow and few will find it.

This is because we have been inoculated to Truth by the various doctrines we take on board. We think we KNOW, but perhaps we should first be taking a close look at our own beliefs and then try to understand other belief systems after we are certain that what we believe is actually correct.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Walter Martin, once he was grounded in the truth (i.e. Christ), studied most other religions and cults to give answers to those who believed them

as to why only Christ is the truth. If you are grounded in the truth... and that is critical... if you are grounded in the truth, that is Jesus Christ...

then you will be prepared to be able to read the untruth that is other religions and cults.

Just remember, our own human nature is based on untruth. We are sinners by nature. And we tend to be fooled by untruth. We can be wooed by untruth.

We like the pomp and circumstance of untruth. The religious pageantry of untruth appeals to people.

Christ is the only light of truth breaking through our love of darkness.

So, be aware of this. Don't be superstitiously afraid, just logically cautious.

Pray the guidance of the Holy Spirit and test all things with the Bible.

He will never lead you wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

I agree mostly with what you say. But while we are looking under the bed for 'bad stuff' we are embracing things in our own churches that are wrong by God's standards. Take the Gnostic gospel for instance; few understand how it has seeped in to our church society and fewer yet can discern it. And this is just 'our' religion or a variation of it.

Truth is, if you are taken in by 'another spirit' it does not matter the source since it probably has tagged most believers in some way or other. The WAY is indeed narrow and few will find it.

This is because we have been inoculated to Truth by the various doctrines we take on board. We think we KNOW, but perhaps we should first be taking a close look at our own beliefs and then try to understand other belief systems after we are certain that what we believe is actually correct.

I believe we as Christians do know the truth, for two reasons. The first we have the holy word of God. The truth is Christ came to earth, died for our sins, rose again and conquered death, hell and the grave, anyone who will receive him as savior, will not only be forgiven of sin but receive ( The second reason) the Holy Spirit. He leads us into all truth. Their will always be debates on different subjects that pertain to the bible, but any religion that does not proclaim Christ as coming in the flesh, dying upon the cross and being rose again, as savior of this world is a false religion. There is no debating that, Jesus Christ is the only way to the father. Anything or anyone who says otherwise is a liar.So my friend that is not my belief system that's God's word of truth in which I believe completely.

God bless ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

20 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Well, what about from a strategic and military vantage point? Sun Tzu, know your enemy.

KNOW MY JESUS and the HOLYSCRIPS .     All I need is HE and HE ALONE .    

JESUS created all things ,    and I don't need to know my enemy ,   I just need to know the one WHO created all and overcame ALL.     HIS NAME

lets have a drum roll....................:emot-drums:   JESUS CHRIST .  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

14 hours ago, Michael37 said:

What? Seriously, they cannot know the true God unless they accept Christ.

Christians are often accused of being narrow-minded because we assert there is no other way to get to God than through Jesus Christ. People often ask the question “Don’t all religions point to the same God?” or “What’s so special about Jesus? Why is he the only way?”

The first point to make is that we did not invent the claim that Jesus is the only way. Jesus made this claim. We are merely relating His claim, and the claim of the writers of the New Testament.

Jesus said, “I am the truth, the way, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me” (John 14:6) and “For unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins” (John 8:24). The Apostle Peter echoed these words when he said, “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:12, KJV).

St. Paul concurred, “There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus …” (1 Timothy 2:5, KJV). In fact, it is the united testimony of the New Testament that no one can know God the Father except through the person of Jesus Christ. [ Source:Bethinking.Org "Is Jesus the only way to get to God" Josh McDowell ]

Micheal ,  YOU CAUGHT THAT QUICK and RIGHT YOU ARE .

Muslims nor any other are on any path to GOD .  THERE is but one way .   There is only ONE who can even reveal the Father unto us .  HIS NAME IS JESUS .

YOU RIGHT .       THANK YOU FOR THIS REMINDER .     

• Group:  Members *
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  341
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/8/2019 at 2:12 PM, Newsie4ever said:

Is it wrong to want to read about a different religion I checked out a book about the history of the Islamic religion am I wrong to want to read about it for education purpose even though I am a Christian any advice would be appreciated ?

i once had an interest in buddhism and God granted that i talked to someone who was into it, i found it an empty philosophy, i also asked God if i should visit a buddhist temple then i had a dream that i was trapped in china near a temple and could not go on to do my work, so it was clear to me that such interests can be a trap and make u lose focus on whats important

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,621
  • Content Per Day:  1.10
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/15/1973

On 12/8/2019 at 4:15 AM, Michael37 said:

I know of a an Anglican clergyman's wife in the 1970's who decided to do a University course on Comparative Religion. The first thing she was taught is that no one religion is better or worse than the other, since it doesn't matter what you believe as long as you are comfortable with your belief. A few lectures and papers later this lady became quite confused, professing a belief in reincarnation and saying that she no longer believed that Jesus Christ was the only One through whom anyone can have an enlightened relationship with God.  

I also have a friend who more recently has studied Comparative Religion at University, but he did so in order to better witness to non-Christians and to show them the errors and falsehoods of all non-Christian beliefs. This he does extremely well, so whether it is safe for a Christian to study materials that promote other beliefs depends on their being able to discern the counterfeit from the real.

Col 2:8-9
(8)  Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
(9)  For in him dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

I totally agree @Michael37. Paul tells us in scripture...,

1Corinthians 9:20,

And to the Jews I became like a Jew, so that I might win the Jews. To those under the Law, as under the Law (myself not being under the Law) so that I might win those under the Law.

Proverbs 19:2,

Even zeal is no good without knowledge, and he who hurries his footsteps misses the mark.

Proverbs 11:30,

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

In order to win souls we must be knowledgeable in order to be a Jew unto a Jew and a Gentle unto a Gentile to win all to Christ.  Nobody knew this as well as Paul knew this. We must be able to communicate to all faiths and religions if possible in order to expand our outreach to others. We also can learn more of what is the truth by the false.

This contrast of the truth verses falsehood can help us in a deeper way. The biggest thing that helps is to first have a foundation in the truth in order to see the false or recognize it. A desire to look into other religions can be a good thing because God could be teaching you and educating you to be equipped to reach others this way.  Either what we have inside of us is real or it’s not.

We shouldn’t worry about others who look into other religions because it’s God that’s truly holding our souls in him. It’s not us keeping ourselves in him by our seeking only truth. Truth can be true but if your motivated by the wrong spirit than what good is it. It’s no different than following another religion. They are both false or wrong even though the truth may be right.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Is it wrong to want to read about a different religion I checked out a book about the history of the Islamic religion am I wrong to want to read about it for education purpose even though I am a Christian any advice would be appreciated ?

I remember this post from last year. The opster only stayed a month and she left. Are we still addressing her or discussing other issues in her absence? Sorry. Just curious. :b:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

20 minutes ago, Addy said:

I just noticed this question was originally asked in 2019???  Why am I answering... and why did this come up in the threads now ??

You noticed this too? Okay I'm not the only one! 

1293197685_laughingsmiley.gif.1c405ae5037c54c6928a8504293d461b.gif