IGNORED

is planning our lives and future sinful?

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  243
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,554
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I was talking to a friend who's also a believer and got on this topic.  Things like a job, school, what major to pursue, how many kids to have and what not. 

When we were talking I stated in the future, years from now maybe 3 or more I may want another child for my son, If I'm married and if not I considered adoption; all of this depending on my financial stability in the future of course. My friend thought it was a bit rash and impulsive to decide I wanted another child 3 yrs in the future  and said it was sinful and that deciding on how many kids you want say 2-3, basically having  a set number is sinful and that right way to go about it is to simply have sex (within marriage of course) and let the Lord decide how many kids you'll have. 

They still hold the mindset that even within marriage having a set number of how many kids you want is sinful as you're not letting the Lord plan it for you.  Fast fwd to today, I talked to them about working and a job and how it may be difficult for me bc I can only work set hours bc I only have one car yadda,yadda. We got on the topic of God and I said, I'm basically just going to apply to a slew of jobs and do what I usually do let ask God to close doors that aren't ment for me. My friend agreed this was good however said the devil can leave doors open as well even job wise... 

and it just seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. 

I do agree with what they're saying but it just makes me wonder where is free will in this and that God's will is almost down to the most minute things from picking out clothes to what to prepare for dinner. Idk, I get the gist of what they're saying but it seems a bit excessive. 

Long story short, TLDR; Is planning our lives from how many kids we'd like, job and career we want to pursue is that sinful just to plan ?

To me it seems not planning at all, not even talking about ids but important things like a job and career seems really reckless and irresponsible. 

Id ljust like to hear other thoughts.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

It's all to do with what ones attitude is..

It is good to make plans about the future so that one will not become a burden on others.. Responsibly planning for the future is wise.. But at the same time if the person knows that God might call them at any moment to leave this life then the person is in the right place as far as attitude is concerned..

A Christian should plan for the possibility of living to 100 but be ready to leave this world tonight..

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

I was talking to a friend who's also a believer and got on this topic.  Things like a job, school, what major to pursue, how many kids to have and what not. 

When we were talking I stated in the future, years from now maybe 3 or more I may want another child for my son, If I'm married and if not I considered adoption; all of this depending on my financial stability in the future of course. My friend thought it was a bit rash and impulsive to decide I wanted another child 3 yrs in the future  and said it was sinful and that deciding on how many kids you want say 2-3, basically having  a set number is sinful and that right way to go about it is to simply have sex (within marriage of course) and let the Lord decide how many kids you'll have. 

They still hold the mindset that even within marriage having a set number of how many kids you want is sinful as you're not letting the Lord plan it for you.  Fast fwd to today, I talked to them about working and a job and how it may be difficult for me bc I can only work set hours bc I only have one car yadda,yadda. We got on the topic of God and I said, I'm basically just going to apply to a slew of jobs and do what I usually do let ask God to close doors that aren't ment for me. My friend agreed this was good however said the devil can leave doors open as well even job wise... 

and it just seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. 

I do agree with what they're saying but it just makes me wonder where is free will in this and that God's will is almost down to the most minute things from picking out clothes to what to prepare for dinner. Idk, I get the gist of what they're saying but it seems a bit excessive. 

Long story short, TLDR; Is planning our lives from how many kids we'd like, job and career we want to pursue is that sinful just to plan ?

To me it seems not planning at all, not even talking about ids but important things like a job and career seems really reckless and irresponsible. 

Id ljust like to hear other thoughts.

I usually plan my days. I plan future trips etc... But in all my plans I also stay surrendered. I never know when all my plans will change on any given day. For an example of a day. I may be planning on being at a meeting at ten a.m, but on the way see someone on the side of the road needing help. I don't allow my plans to prevent me from being led by the Lord. So, I will stop and help. I can plan on future things but I also realize that I cannot see what circumstances or events may present themselves in my life so I plan but stay surrendered unto the will of the Lord. I give Him each day and know He will lead and guide. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

2 minutes ago, Tigger56 said:

I usually plan my days. I plan future trips etc... But in all my plans I also stay surrendered. I never know when all my plans will change on any given day. For an example of a day. I may be planning on being at a meeting at ten a.m, but on the way see someone on the side of the road needing help. I don't allow my plans to prevent me from being led by the Lord. So, I will stop and help. I can plan on future things but I also realize that I cannot see what circumstances or events may present themselves in my life so I plan but stay surrendered unto the will of the Lord. I give Him each day and know He will lead and guide. 

I think that's key to plan but stay surrendered to God incase plans change.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Id l just like to hear other thoughts.

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise.

Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD's  purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:20-21

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future  
Jeremiah 29:11 

To humans belong the plans of the heart,
    but
from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.

All a person’s ways seem pure to them,
    but motives are weighed by the Lord.

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
    and
he will establish your plans.

The Lord works out everything to its proper end—
    even the wicked for a day of disaster.

Proverbs 16:1-4

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways
submit to him,
    and
he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

3 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

it just seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. 

Learn to jump high - Practice jumping high - Be ready to jump high at any moment

God is sovereign over all matters and all things. 

Running the race as though to win it takes planning and lots of active practice.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

is planning our lives and future sinful?

No, it most certainly isn't. We have the example of our Lord's parable of the talents. 

Matthew 25:14-30 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Parable of the Talents

14 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. 15 And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. 16 Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. 17 And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. 18 But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. 19 After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them.

20 “So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ 21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ 22 He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ 23 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’

24 “Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’

26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.

29 ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 

• This is Worthy 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,524
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Excellent BeauJangles, excellent response!

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Excellent BeauJangles, excellent response!

It was excellent. I think beau jangles and the other person got it. Its good to plan but be remain in a state of constant surrender to God.

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Learn to jump high - Practice jumping high - Be ready to jump high at any moment

God is sovereign over all matters and all things. 

Running the race as though to win it takes planning and lots of active practice.

I dont mind God changing my plans... Like before I did dental assisting. I really wanted to do phlebotomy but the school would give me so many run arounds and new things I needed to have done that I didnt make the deadline. Thats when I went to the dental program and everything flowed so smoothly like water from a running faucet. 

For me I feel when you arent led or going down a path God doesnt want you on you'll have a lot of resistance.  

Thats how I decide where God wants me to go. With my friend she doesnt think that way..its like there's always additional steps.. And I just don't think its that hard. 

I believe when a door is closed its God's will. Thats just my interpretation.

• Praise God! 1