ReneeIW

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

So this isn’t a serious post but it is something that, believe it or not, has been a debate among people I know.

The Chicago Bears are playing the Green Bay Packers next week. If the Bears win all of their next games(they’re not going to) they can make the Playoffs.

There are actually very serious Bible believing Christians telling everyone to be in prayer for the Bears.

Is that disrespectful or what?

I don’t want to judge,  but there seems to be a misunderstanding of what prayer is for.

Should Christians be in serious prayer for their favorite sports team? If not, should we admonish the Christians who are praying for their favorite sports teams, or do we mind our own business?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

34 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

So this isn’t a serious post but it is something that, believe it or not, has been a debate among people I know.

The Chicago Bears are playing the Green Bay Packers next week. If the Bears win all of their next games(they’re not going to) they can make the Playoffs.

There are actually very serious Bible believing Christians telling everyone to be in prayer for the Bears.

I don’t want to judge,  but there seems to be a misunderstanding of what prayer is for.

Should Christians be in serious prayer for their favorite sports team? If not, should we admonish the Christians who are praying for their favorite sports teams, or do we mind our own business?

I don't see anything wrong with praying for your favorite team to win. But I don't know if their prayers will be answered. Sometimes people get angry with God because they do not give them what they want. I think we should let Christians do what they want to do. God has it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

I don't see anything wrong with praying for your favorite team to win. But I don't know if their prayers will be answered. Sometimes people get angry with God because they do not give them what they want. I think we should let Christians do what they want to do. God has it.

Oh wow, I’m surprised  by that answer. Not that I think anything’s wrong with it, I’m just surprised. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, ReneeIW said:

Should Christians be in serious prayer for their favorite sports team?

Philippians 4:  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known unto God.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

Pray about everything, worry about nothing.....

And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
1 John 5, 14-15

"should we admonish the Christians who are praying for their favorite sports teams, or do we mind our own business?"

Myself personally, I would leave this one up to God.
They believe in prayer, and who am I to judge their motives.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

2 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

In my opinion, the only prayers for a favorite sports team should be for safety (if they are traveling for instance) or for their salvation. Praying for a win is just silly. 

As for admonishment, that may or may not be appropriate depending on circumstances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

27 minutes ago, Isaiah53NIV said:

Yes, you should definitely tell them not to pray for the Bears….and instead ask them to pray for the Packers! Kidding ;)

I pay attention to sports, but personally, I do not pray for teams (I will ask people to root for my team). Whenever the Packers won the Super Bowl, people in Wisconsin said “God was watching over them.” Years ago, there were some great men of faith on teams who immediately knelt after scoring and talked about their faith in pretty much all of their interviews. They publicly gave God the glory for every point and win. Don’t know if that still occurs…now it’s about kneeling for a different reason. I say if people want to pray for their favorite teams, it’s up to them. But, they also need to remember that God blesses who He chooses to bless and move on if they don't win. 

I liked your sense of humor, and I think God does too; after all, He invented it. Philippians tells us to pray about everything with thanksgiving. Our Daddy wants us to share our heart with Him. I cannot imagine not sharing, even when I am angry or hurt, or in sin---why not good times too! :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

33 minutes ago, Isaiah53NIV said:

Yes, you should definitely tell them not to pray for the Bears….and instead ask them to pray for the Packers! Kidding ;)

I pay attention to sports, but personally, I do not pray for teams (I will ask people to root for my team). Whenever the Packers won the Super Bowl, people in Wisconsin said “God was watching over them.” Years ago, there were some great men of faith on teams who immediately knelt after scoring and talked about their faith in pretty much all of their interviews. They publicly gave God the glory for every point and win. Don’t know if that still occurs…now it’s about kneeling for a different reason. I say if people want to pray for their favorite teams, it’s up to them. But, they also need to remember that God blesses who He chooses to bless and move on if they don't win. 

As a fellow Wisconsinite, I agree with you (esp to pray for the Packers) - also just kidding :laugh:  

I believe people can pray for whatever they wish; that would be between God and them.

Win or lose, if it's in His plan, it will happen as such.  

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,089
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

when we in our home pray for sports teams it's for them to play their best and to keep them safe....   I don't ever remember anyone in my home or friends to pray to win...    That's like asking God to play favorites...   and I don't think he does that.....   E V E R.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

" You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. "

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

5 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Hi ReneeIW

I am most surprised though I shouldn`t be. Where is our focus? Saving souls and mentoring people? Or for our own pleasures? Really amazed. If the people in those teams are following the Lord then they will show their God-like attitude WHETHER OR NOT they win or lose.

Marilyn.

• Praise God! 1