samuelg1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

A relative (1) asked me to drive another relative (2) for an appointment. The understanding is that I will do this for them without any compensation. The car belongs to R1, so I do not have an insurance policy in the event of an injury or accident. This is at least 4 hours out of my weekend. I will make the same drive a few weekends out if I agree. A total of 8 to 9 hours of my time. 

I think an uber would cost hundreds of dollars. 

I am concerned about legal ramifications in the unlikely event of an accident on any portion of these trips. R1 and R2 are devout christians. I am a christian also. I would like to help. I haven't yet asked them about the insurance question but I am certain I'm not covered as the car is not mine. To me, I think the right thing for my relatives is to cover me under the insurance but I don't think they are willing to do that. They are in a good financial situation overall but finances are tight from what I can tell and they are obviously trying to save money. I feel like they should've placed me on the policy or offered a rental where all passengers are clearly covered as I am doing this as a favor. I don't want to put myself at legal risk by doing them this favor.

What should I do if I am not covered under their insurance policy? Thanks. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

18 minutes ago, samuelg1 said:

A relative (1) asked me to drive another relative (2) for an appointment. The understanding is that I will do this for them without any compensation. The car belongs to R1, so I do not have an insurance policy in the event of an injury or accident. This is at least 4 hours out of my weekend. I will make the same drive a few weekends out if I agree. A total of 8 to 9 hours of my time. 

I think an uber would cost hundreds of dollars. 

I am concerned about legal ramifications in the unlikely event of an accident on any portion of these trips. R1 and R2 are devout christians. I am a christian also. I would like to help. I haven't yet asked them about the insurance question but I am certain I'm not covered as the car is not mine. To me, I think the right thing for my relatives is to cover me under the insurance but I don't think they are willing to do that. They are in a good financial situation overall but finances are tight from what I can tell and they are obviously trying to save money. I feel like they should've placed me on the policy or offered a rental where all passengers are clearly covered as I am doing this as a favor. I don't want to put myself at legal risk by doing them this favor.

What should I do if I am not covered under their insurance policy? Thanks. 

Not having an insurance policy and driving a vehicle is dishonest and a sin. I would decline the offer telling them that you do not have insurance and it would cause serious problems if a policeman stops you or you get in an accident. That is the honest thing to do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Thanks. I think will do that.

It bothers me that they asked however. Both of my relatives are very devout but their behavior towards me is often appalling. They often insult me to my face and have been doing so for a long time. I try to help family out whenever possible, but putting me in a potential legal bind is crossing the line for me anyway. 

They grew up in an environment which was abusive, hostile, and full of constant conflict. I don't think they have a very good common sense understanding of boundaries or decorum. Still, I love them and want to honor them. I feel like they have dishonored me with these requests. 

It's amazing how they present themselves as basically perfect christians but in family matters, they are so callous and unchristian. It is disgusting really. 

While they don't offer payment per se, they sometimes send me "gifts" which quite frankly are useless and which would just add to the clutter of my house. This stuff is often from stores I can't return them to so it's just a waste. For example, they will send me food which they like, but I don't. Or, they send me some clothing item which I would never wear and can't return. This becomes an additional inconvenience as I have to take it to a donation center to get rid of potential clutter.  

Or, they might offer McDonald's for say, 4 hours of my time. I have helped them out many times in this manner before so they just take it for granted. They actually have plenty of money but are extremely aggressive with their savings. A smart move for sure, but as in the cases above, they waste money in ridiculous ways also. 

I have tried to tell them recently that I don't need and can't use what they offer, but they just tell me to return it, which I usually can't. I just have to give it away somewhere. This all points to a lack of respect which they have displayed many times over. 

Edited by samuelg1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Good morning Samuel:

There are several issues here:

A)  It would NOT be proper and legal to drive a vehicle that is not covered with insurance, as that would not be in accord with Jesus' mandate of pay back to Caesar what is Caesar's (Matthew 22:21).  Still, if that vehicle has insurance, it would probably cover you if you are licensed, which I know you are; a quick check with an insurance agent would confirm this fact.

B)  They are taking advantage of your magnanimity.  Your time and energy are valuable and you should be duly compensated for your driving time and skills in this arena.  We are reminded at  1 Corinthians 13:4, that love "does not look for its own interests;" so have a brief heart to heart talk with your relatives and remind them that you are glad to help out now and then, but that you should be compensated for your time commensurate with the going rate.

Best, 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

If the car is insured, you’re insured. That’s great you guys are there for one another.

Drive safe!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

2 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

I was an insurance adjuster for 25 years.

I can’t get my insurance company to replace my roof! There was a hail storm and everyone on my block got a new roof. The roofers that came by to look at our roof said it’s one of the worse on the block and needs to be replaced but the insurance just gave us $3000 to repair it. 

Now we have a roofing company who says their guy use to be a public adjuster and will “argue” for us to get a new roof. Is that what it takes?A former adjuster has to argue for you? We had already given them estimates from other roofers. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 hours ago, samuelg1 said:

Thanks. I think will do that.

It bothers me that they asked however.

As Paul Harvey concluded so often:  "And now you know the rest of the story."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

7 hours ago, samuelg1 said:

What should I do if I am not covered under their insurance policy?

Simple answer: Don't do it

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

24 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

I can’t get my insurance company to replace my roof! There was a hail storm and everyone on my block got a new roof. The roofers that came by to look at our roof said it’s one of the worse on the block and needs to be replaced but the insurance just gave us $3000 to repair it. 

Now we have a roofing company who says their guy use to be a public adjuster and will “argue” for us to get a new roof. Is that what it takes?A former adjuster has to argue for you? We had already given them estimates from other roofers. 

Your company isn't arguing that the roof needs to be replaced apparently. But what is your deductible? Do you have replacement cost coverage? These two things play in big part in what amount is afforded to you. I never cared for "public adjusters" as a whole. They may get you more money but likely they will charge you more than you get and there is not guarantee on the additional money. The answer to the first two questions will likely play a large part of how the insurance company came up with you settlement amount.