• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,602
  • Content Per Day:  4.02
  • Days Won:  21

7 hours ago, samuelg1 said:

A relative (1) asked me to drive another relative (2) for an appointment. The understanding is that I will do this for them without any compensation. The car belongs to R1, so I do not have an insurance policy in the event of an injury or accident. This is at least 4 hours out of my weekend. I will make the same drive a few weekends out if I agree. A total of 8 to 9 hours of my time. 

I think an uber would cost hundreds of dollars. 

I am concerned about legal ramifications in the unlikely event of an accident on any portion of these trips. R1 and R2 are devout christians. I am a christian also. I would like to help. I haven't yet asked them about the insurance question but I am certain I'm not covered as the car is not mine. To me, I think the right thing for my relatives is to cover me under the insurance but I don't think they are willing to do that. They are in a good financial situation overall but finances are tight from what I can tell and they are obviously trying to save money. I feel like they should've placed me on the policy or offered a rental where all passengers are clearly covered as I am doing this as a favor. I don't want to put myself at legal risk by doing them this favor.

What should I do if I am not covered under their insurance policy? Thanks. 

It may be a simple matter for them to call the company and have you added third-party. Otherwise you are breaking the law and you will not be personally covered. This means they can not only take your licence, but make you responsible for any debts incurred - this could be thousands of dollars.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

7 hours ago, samuelg1 said:

A total of 8 to 9 hours of my time. 

Wow, just think how long that will feel like to them if the driver is grumbling.

If one asks  for a load to be carried a mile take it two. Be of good cheer doing so. Reference Matthew 5:41 

• Well Said! 1

6 minutes ago, Margo1945 said:

as an aside, there is another saying, "do to others before they do to you" .. lol .. I am not advocating this one unless one is doing good to others ..  

That  is close companion to "no good deed goes unpunished."

• Thumbs Up 1

Life is hard, and then you die. But ya know it is even harder for the person going to dialysis that can no longer drive themselves as example than it is on the person/people transporting them both ways twice a week.

Praise God for the many that help each other out and also those that fill in for  a driver whenever they can, doing so with  the love of our Lord Jesus on their heart, being real testimony of the grace and the mercy of God in action  in daily matters.

Praise God for the volunteers  for Hospice that drive in the middle of the night to get pain relieving prescriptions and then drive them to the home of one suffering sudden onset of violent pain. Praise God and thanks to all that do volunteer without a grumble, doing so  as the quiet lovers of our Lord the servants doing His will in His name.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Tigger56 said:

Your company isn't arguing that the roof needs to be replaced apparently. But what is your deductible? Do you have replacement cost coverage? These two things play in big part in what amount is afforded to you. I never cared for "public adjusters" as a whole. They may get you more money but likely they will charge you more than you get and there is not guarantee on the additional money. The answer to the first two questions will likely play a large part of how the insurance company came up with you settlement amount.

I should not have brought this up on this thread. But thanks for your input. We do have replacement coverage and our deductible is $1000.

What happened originally is that my husband just turned in estimates from roofers to the insurance company. We didn’t have anyone arguing on our behalf. We thought all we had to do was give them the estimate. Now a roofing company is going to argue on our behalf but we have to sign a contract with them. Will see how it goes. Sorry again for bringing this up here.?

5 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

Not sure where you are from... but if there is insurance on the vehicle and you are driving it with their permission then you are automatically covered under their policy. So you know where I am coming from... I was an insurance adjuster for 25 years.

This is true.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I have driven R1 and R2 on many, many trips in the past. For whatever reason I never considered the insurance issue. I don't want to be held 100% liable since it is not my car. If I am insured by the car's policy that is a different matter.

What bothers me is that I have requested a ride on a couple of occasions from R1 and R2 and they never even bothered to return my call or acknowledge the request! I haven't brought this up with them but it does factor into the equation. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

If you are behind the wheel of a car and you are stopped by a policeman there are three things that a policeman will ask when he/she approaches the car. Can I please see your drivers license, insurance card and the registration of your automobile. You had better be prepared to hand over all three documents.

9 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Life is hard, and then you die. But ya know it is even harder for the person going to dialysis that can no longer drive themselves as example than it is on the person/people transporting them both ways twice a week.

Praise God for the many that help each other out and also those that fill in for  a driver whenever they can, doing so with  the love of our Lord Jesus on their heart, being real testimony of the grace and the mercy of God in action  in daily matters.

Praise God for the volunteers  for Hospice that drive in the middle of the night to get pain relieving prescriptions and then drive them to the home of one suffering sudden onset of violent pain. Praise God and thanks to all that do volunteer without a grumble, doing so  as the quiet lovers of our Lord the servants doing His will in His name.

This is not about dialysis treatment. Your cynical assumptions are a reflection of your personality not of reality. 

Christian trolling, interesting.

10 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Wow, just think how long that will feel like to them if the driver is grumbling.

If one asks  for a load to be carried a mile take it two. Be of good cheer doing so. Reference Matthew 5:41 

And yet when I make an even more minor request of them, they refuse to even acknowledge it. Google "hypocrisy."