IGNORED

Practicing Christianity Without Attending Church?

samuelg1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I've heard and read the standard suggestion: go find a new church, God will lead you to the right one.

I'm going to tell you my real world experience. EVERY SINGLE CHURCH I've attended is severely compromised. There really is no such thing as a church which teaches sound Christian doctrine anymore. If they do so, they are only emphasizing the elements which are politically correct these days, in essence, twisting and distorting Christianity to the point of non-recognizability. In effect, most every last church is preaching heretical Christianity though lies of omission rather than commission, and this is typically a best case scenario. Either way, it is deception and therefore heresy. 

I've made multiple attempts to address and correct some of the more severe problems at my current church. It has led to arguments already and I can tell that any more attempts to address problems would lead to a lot of friction and pushback. The destiny of the church is clear: it is being debased by people with their own political agenda and they are all fully backed by all of the pastors. It is a lost cause.

I am totally fine being a Christian who carefully sources secondary sources, books, podcasts in addition to reading (or listening to) the Bible. I am tired of pastors saying stupid things which aren't taught by the Bible. It is making me angry and causing me stress. 

Who else is practicing the same?

Edited by samuelg1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,923
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

22 minutes ago, samuelg1 said:

I've heard and read the standard suggestion: go find a new church, God will lead you to the right one.

I'm going to tell you my real world experience. EVERY SINGLE CHURCH I've attended is severely compromised. There really is no such thing as a church which teaches sound Christian doctrine anymore. If they do so, they are only emphasizing the elements which are politically correct these days, in essence, twisting and distorting Christianity to the point of non-recognizability. In effect, most every last church is preaching heretical Christianity though lies of omission rather than commission, and this is typically a best case scenario. Either way, it is deception and therefore heresy. 

I've made multiple attempts to address and correct some of the more severe problems at my current church. It has led to arguments already and I can tell that any more attempts to address problems would lead to a lot of friction and pushback. The destiny of the church is clear: it is being debased by people with their own political agenda and they are all fully backed by all of the pastors. It is a lost cause.

I am totally fine being a Christian who carefully sources secondary sources, books, podcasts in addition to reading (or listening to) the Bible. I am tired of pastors saying stupid things which aren't taught by the Bible. It is making me angry and causing me stress. 

Who else is practicing the same?

Are you aware of small groups of like-minded Christians who meet weekly in their homes for simple fellowship with no pre-planned order of service and no hierachical structure? Perhaps you could pray about inviting others to meet with you in this manner.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've attended several of these small groups.

One was composed of an odd mix of folks, some older, some younger. There was one lady who dominated discussions. She loved to tell stories of her abusive ex husband who she claims threatened and abused her in all manner of vile and criminal ways. She was in very poor health and she was wheezing and coughing the entire time while screaming about how crazy and violent he was towards her. Perhaps not surprisingly, most everyone in the group began to make excuses for why they could no longer attend these meetings (something always came up) and I believe the group disbanded in short order. 

I attended another, this time with younger adults for the most part. This group had a "party" mentality and it became clear that the guys' agenda was to "hook up" with one of the prettier gals in the group. It disbanded due to the pathetic sexual desperation of some (several) of the guys in the group. 

I've begun attending another "small group." I am not hopeful of the group's prospects. Again, these meetings seem to serve as a thinly veiled opportunity for singles to meet. There are some younger adults but the majority are middle aged and older married couples or single folks looking to find a Christian partner. Sadly, there are some newly wed ladies (who are all older) in this group who are acting more like new age, hippie swingers than devoted married folk.

I've heard some stories about the local "young adults" groups and they don't seem to be able to sustain any momentum. One or two or three initial meetings are well attended, then attendance tanks, and the group disbands. Later, one or more of the local churches attempts to revive these meetings, beginning the process all over again. 

Edited by samuelg1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Good Morning samuelg1:

God wants us to worship him publicly in association with other true Christians.  The Apostle Paul reminds us in Hebrews: “Let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near” (Hebrews 10:24, 25).  When we gather with fellow believers at Christian meetings, we have a wonderful opportunity to praise and worship our beloved God. We also build one another up and encourage one another.

As we associate with other worshippers of God, we strengthen the bonds of love and friendship in the congregation. It is important that we look for the good in one another, as God looks for the good in us. Do not expect perfection from your fellow believers. Remember that all are at different stages of spiritual growth and that every one of us makes mistakes (Colossians 3:13). Seek to build close friendships with those who love God intensely, and you will find yourself growing spiritually. 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, as soon as we find the perfect church, it becomes imperfect, because we have now joined it.  

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

I quite understand your predicament brother...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.98
  • Days Won:  21

1 hour ago, BibleStudent100 said:

God wants us to worship him publicly in association with other true Christians.

But where do you draw the line?

Most like to deck their places with pagan evergreens.

They do x-mass and Halloween and Ishtar (easter) etc.

They see the millenium as real in a physical way.

They preach rapture stuff..

They do not hold the Sabbath Holy but agree with Rome's change to sun-day.

They say the Holy Spirit gifts are not for today..

They do not believe in God's Divine Counsel.

They will not accept that Gen 6 and Deut 32 and Psalm 82 should be understood in context of much of the world's evil.

They appear not to accept that "the The Kingdom is nigh unto us.."

They think the protestant Canon is to be worshipped.. and the RCC canon is to be ignored entirely.

They are afraid of "extra-biblical" books because they do not understand inspiration and how it worked/works.

So many camels it boggles the mind...

There is more...

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, samuelg1 said:

I'm going to tell you my real world experience. EVERY SINGLE CHURCH I've attended is severely compromised.

A lot of them are. I can't say they all are, however. 

I am totally fine being a Christian who carefully sources secondary sources, books, podcasts in addition to reading (or listening to) the Bible.

We must supplement our spiritual well being, but church is more than YouTube. 

I am tired of pastors saying stupid things which aren't taught by the Bible.

Yeah, same here. But, Billy Graham had an amazing way of preaching storylines into the word of God. 

It is making me angry and causing me stress. 

Perhaps you need to take a 'breather' for a while and take some time off. The Church is not wretched! 

• This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,923
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

10 hours ago, samuelg1 said:

I've attended several of these small groups.

One was composed of an odd mix of folks, some older, some younger. There was one lady who dominated discussions. She loved to tell stories of her abusive ex husband who she claims threatened and abused her in all manner of vile and criminal ways. She was in very poor health and she was wheezing and coughing the entire time while screaming about how crazy and violent he was towards her. Perhaps not surprisingly, most everyone in the group began to make excuses for why they could no longer attend these meetings (something always came up) and I believe the group disbanded in short order. 

I attended another, this time with younger adults for the most part. This group had a "party" mentality and it became clear that the guys' agenda was to "hook up" with one of the prettier gals in the group. It disbanded due to the pathetic sexual desperation of some (several) of the guys in the group. 

I've begun attending another "small group." I am not hopeful of the group's prospects. Again, these meetings seem to serve as a thinly veiled opportunity for singles to meet. There are some younger adults but the majority are middle aged and older married couples or single folks looking to find a Christian partner. Sadly, there are some newly wed ladies (who are all older) in this group who are acting more like new age, hippie swingers than devoted married folk.

I've heard some stories about the local "young adults" groups and they don't seem to be able to sustain any momentum. One or two or three initial meetings are well attended, then attendance tanks, and the group disbands. Later, one or more of the local churches attempts to revive these meetings, beginning the process all over again. 

The called-out ones are called out of the world and into fellowship with Christ and His body. We are the called-out ones, the ekklesia as the Greek word has it. Unfortunately the meaning of the word ekklesia has been lost in translation, but to cite a well-known verse the ekklesia exists where two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus. The idea that you need a special building, where special people in special garments conduct special rites and rituals using a special order of service that must not be deviated from week by week, is pagan!

God puts people in families, and the ridiculous pretenses of denominations that think they have found the perfect "one size fits all" formula are as carnal as the day is long.

A new denomination in our city is a break away from a crowd called "Harvest", which is a break away from AOG, which is a result of the so-called Azusa St., revival in 1906. So you walk into the newly furbished warehouse that now boasts the sign "Manifest Love Church" and supposedly realise that all the others have got it wrong because they don't manifest love in the way these people do, but in reality it's just the same template of Greco-Roman rhetoric that puts a person in a pulpit to programme the puppets in the pews.

However, the good news is that God truly puts people in families, and if we are genuinely, earnestly, diligently seeking to fellowship in the name of Jesus for the purpose of edifying ONE ANOTHER with the Word of God, then we will find the family God wants us to be in.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thoughts! This is an intelligent group and I will take some time to consider what has been written here.