• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Even at home there should be a confirming  set of thermometers in the fridge and freezer. Ice mechanism should be sanitized  on a regular schedule. And never use dish towels, nor reuse a washing cloth, and that kitchen sponge -really? !!!

The wood block or plastic cutting board needs to be sanitized, or one is going to eventually get ill. Keep all food covered, keep out bugs, and vermin of course. And that filter for the water in the fridge, are you really waiting for the red light t go on to tell you to change it? Don't! Change it, I know it is expensive but don't store what it filters for months on end. Your ice maker water goes through that old filter. you say you crack eggs on the counter top edge? Don't. Wash all handles to counters and fridges each time they are used.

Commercial sanitizing products are readily available at a loal janitorial supply house, Bleach is available most everywhere a 10 to 1 solution of water to bleach, and never use nor mix with ammonia vinegars or alcohol (wood alcohol)

Yes I know most of us do not likely worry, nor always use proper techniques, however it is about as easy to do so as it is  to not do so.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, missmuffet said:

If you have ever gotten food poisoning from some tainted food you have consumed you know it is not very much fun. There are daily food recalls from the FDA. You could go to a restaurant and eat something that was not prepared or stored properly and get sick. A family member recently got very sick from food poisoning from eating salsa at a Mexican restaurant. Why is this happening? Is it carelessness? I do not remember this being a problem when I was growing up or even 20 years ago. 

These are the riskiest foods that can give you food poisoning:

1. Ground beef

2. Poultry

3. Vegetables and leafy greens

4. Fish and shellfish

5. Rice

6. Deli meats

7. Unpasteurized dairy

8. Eggs

9. Fruit

10. Sprouts

Sister , folks are way careless when preparing food .    I took classes for years .

most common mistake is after they do the washing of their hands .  and they put on those gloves ,

somehow they forget and touch stuff with the gloves on ,  and then touch the food with same gloves on .

Cross contamination .   I watched it for years .    Most places are for sure well educated , but the forgets often occur .

And usually  its the glove thing .     Guess they must think the gloves are germ and bacterial resistant ,   OOPS they aint .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Sister , folks are way careless when preparing food .    I took classes for years .

most common mistake is after they do the washing of their hands .  and they put on those gloves ,

somehow they forget and touch stuff with the gloves on ,  and then touch the food with same gloves on .

Cross contamination .   I watched it for years .    Most places are for sure well educated , but the forgets often occur .

And usually  its the glove thing .     Guess they must think the gloves are germ and bacterial resistant ,   OOPS they aint .

Yes, people are making a ton of mistakes in our world of food. Just look at the food recalls. People are just not competent today and careful. Do they even care? I don't know.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

When I eat a hamburger I don't think about food poisoning. I enjoy my burger with all the fixes. Then if I get food poisoning later then so be it. I am still going to enjoy my burger. 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Jaydog1976 said:

When I eat a hamburger I don't think about food poisoning. I enjoy my burger with all the fixes. Then if I get food poisoning later then so be it. I am still going to enjoy my burger. 

Amen, Jay. When I give thanks to God for blessing me with a meal, I realize He knows everything in it!
I also remember living a short while in third world countries. Americans are spoiled 'rotten'
And wasteful.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, Sower said:

Americans are spoiled 'rotten'
And wasteful.

I am not spoiled rotten nor wasteful. I am an American.

• Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

Here's some facts that may explain some of the problems. Been awhile and some of my percentages might be off.

With all the global trade agreements; NAFTA, GATT and the dozens of others, we're required to buy a certain percentage of our tomatoes from Mexico for example. We import the majority of our food from other countries and sell our own overseas. Less than 1% of our beef, poultry and produce is inspected by the FDA because of the massive amount of food and so few inspectors. Anyone think China has our nutritional health in mind? 

I live in an area that sees seasonal southern migration pickers and workers. If you ever see these workers out in the field while you're driving around, pull over and watch for awhile. Notice that there are no portable potties or hand washing stations anywhere around; guess where they go #1 and #2? Notice all the recalls of contaminated lettuce and other greens in the last decade from California? 

We have GMO crops that are less nutritious and the verdict is still out if they will be generation ally a plague. Our beef and poultry is laden with growth hormones and inoculations for faster production; hardly anything we consume anymore is generic, natural and organic. 

In the US we're more than capable of producing all our food needs with an over abundance to market to the globe, we were that way not that long ago. Why do we need a 3,000 page document and agreement for "fair trade" with other countries to purchase their meat and produce to begin with? Answer that question and you'll understand the prophetic times we are living in.

• Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

9 hours ago, Sower said:

Amen, Jay. When I give thanks to God for blessing me with a meal, I realize He knows everything in it!
I also remember living a short while in third world countries. Americans are spoiled 'rotten'
And wasteful.

I think many of us could point to a number of biblical messages and biblical characters emphasizing the above :D  America has been so richly blessed with abundance. Now as a society we have an 'entitlement' mentality and we are owed it, and thankful for none of it. Our American productivity and economic growth is based and measured on 'consumption', borrowing and debt. A nation of consumers we have become, not producers. 

I'd just love to debate anyone with an alternate view of the preceding; anyone, anyone, anyone?  :whistling:

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I am not spoiled rotten nor wasteful. I am an American.

"Amen, Jay. When I give thanks to God for blessing me with a meal, I realize He knows everything in it!
I also remember living a short while
in third world countries. Americans are spoiled 'rotten'
And wasteful."

Context would have been nice. "Our food today is poisoning us"= (rotten)....:(
'Most' Americans are spoiled, Neighbor. Not all. Scusi, brother.    And wasteful.
(Our generation, past,  was raised by the Great Depression survivors, and in our families, nothing was thrown out)
Most of the new generation rarely fixes/repairs much anymore, not taught how. It's tossed and replaced.
God blessed America. Ought to be better stewards..........

The Guardian News;

"Americans waste 150,000 tons of food each day – equal to a pound per person
Research shows people with healthy diets rich in fruit and vegetables are the most wasteful and calls for better education for consumers
Americans waste about a pound of food per person each day, with people who have healthier diets rich in fruit and vegetables the most wasteful, research has found.

About 150,000 tons of food is tossed out in US households each day, equivalent to about a third of the daily calories that each American consumes. Fruit and vegetables were the most likely to be thrown out, followed by dairy and then meat.

This waste has an environmental toll, with the volume of discarded food equivalent to the yearly use of 30m acres of land, 780m pounds of pesticide and 4.2tn gallons of irrigated water. Rotting food also clogs up landfills and releases methane, a powerful greenhouse gas."

The United States Is the Most Wasteful Country In the World

We’re number one!
July 12, 2019
Jeff Turrentine

We have the world’s largest economy. The world’s strongest military. The world’s best women’s soccer team. And the world’s biggest ball of twine.
America loves to collect superlatives. But here’s one to be not so proud of: The United States is the world’s most wasteful country. And the runner-up isn’t even close.

According to a new report from Verisk Maplecroft, a global risk-assessment and consulting firm, the United States accounts for only about 4 percent of the world’s population yet generates 12 percent of the planet’s municipal solid waste (MSW), better known as garbage. Each American produces more than 1,700 pounds of it a year, the report’s authors found, adding up to 239 million tons annually.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

14 hours ago, Sower said:

And wasteful.

I once worked with a lady who was from Africa. She said that people in the United States did not appreciate what they have. She said they had "NOTHING". 

• Thumbs Up 1