• Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, Sower said:

Most of the new generation rarely fixes/repairs much anymore,

But nothing today  is wrench worthy. There are no moving parts to tinker with, not even old time circuitry. Labor to repair something is priced at between $125 to $200 for the first half hour.  No parts are in stock ever, most aren't even made until ordered. It always takes two or more trips for service to be completed. It is just the way it is, replacing is cheaper and better too, for replacements are always more energy efficient than was the original item.

Why one cannot  even fertilize their own home yard anymore, what with the government restrictions  on all but certified commercial  application companies. The fertilizers and pesticides cannot even be sold to the end consumer  much  of the year. Whether that  is good or bad I do  not know. I only know I have to pay another to do what used to be a simple homeowner's task.

The guts to a toilet used to be pretty standard. Not so now. One has to order from the factory half the parts, and wait. Or just call the plumber and wait, or just buy a whole new more efficient more complicated toilet.

It is not laziness, it is just that there is no commonality anymore. The tools in the garage sit  rusting for they are not good for anything today. Can't hardly make use of the woodshop either, just can't compete with the knockdown furniture at places like Ikea.

It's a brave new world all around, worldwide.