• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Employees, perhaps especially Christian employees,  when changing jobs may get too concerned about their soon to be ex employer, and their supervisor's ability to replace them when they leave. So they may give longer than required notice that they are quitting.

I suggest that no employee ever give their employer longer notice than  whatever may be  in a work contract, or not more than one pay period of notice.

Never ever put ones self in position that an employer might terminate the work agreement  immediately giving the employee one pay period only of compensation,  leaving the employee with a period of time that they are unemployed and obviously without work compensation.

As soon as notice is given the employer's loyalty switches from the leaving employee to  the  potential new one that  may already be  very eager to come on board. That potential new person becomes the one the employer is interested in satisfying, not the one leaving.

The person leaving though perhaps well liked, once notice is given is immediately dead to the business. The quicker the transition the better. Do not lengthen it out by giving long notice.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

Sounds like solid advice and you defeinitley know the Christian heart because we are always concerned with how our actions will affect others. That said, I wonder if your advice is only true for certain types of careers. I agree the company's loyalty switches, but some companys need more notice. I know there are some companys that have actually paid retention bonuses to keep some employees from leaving in the middle of certain projects or when mergers happen.

I have heard of some employees that give several months notice and then even stay on part-time until the company can replace them. So there are a few exceptions. But yes, at the end of the day, you have to think of your family first. These companies will survive.

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,523
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

39 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

I wonder if your advice is only true for certain types of careers.

Well all careers that have employers, have bosses that must feed their own family. They do that by making decisions that are best for the company.

My first full time work employer when I gave notice to him got ticked that I was leaving and in some odd moment of anger told me to leave immediately. Fortunately my  new employer knew the old and had already told me if he pulled that for me to show up the next day and he will start me immediately.

Another time I gave lengthy notice I was leaving as sales manager after 17 years working there.As soon as I did, I was dead meat amongst the rest of management. Things just change when one is leaving.  

At my last career I did transition slowly, even told my employer I could no longer accept full salary as I was not doing the full compliment of duties any longer. Eventually  I took a summer's leave of absence and my body gave out on me.  So I  resigned altogether.

I should have just quit instead of taking a leave of absence or I should have kept working and not taken the leave; one or the other. It was not a best plan to have taken a leave. God had my replacements at the ready. It all worked out wonderfully well, younger better educated stronger faster and more up to date individuals where brought in by God's grace and mercy on us all; but the plan was not there as it may best have been.

When a decision is made get'r done quickly.