• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.32
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

We have been commanded to honor our parents. I think there is some confusion as to what this means. Now that my parents are no longer living, I would interpret this command to mean that I am to speak as well as possible about my parents.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Okay. I "think" it is ( at least in part ) commanding of me to live my life in  a manner that reflects the decent upbringing by my parents, to do honor to their sacrifices made for me that I too may sacrifice for my own offspring.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

(Ephesians 6:1-3).1Children, obey your parents in the LORD, for this is right. 2"Honor your father and mother"-which is the first commandment with a promise- 3"so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

To honor your parents now after they have pasted, can be done by a continued respect and holding them in there place of value.

I do believe this verse has a few meaning: the first of course is teaching children to obey and respect they're parents from child to abults. The second is that as we learn to obey and respect our earthly parents, are also being taught to obey and respect God as our heavenly father.

God bless ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

30 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

We have been commanded to honor our parents. I think there is some confusion as to what this means. Now that my parents are no longer living, I would interpret this command to mean that I am to speak as well as possible about my parents.

Yes. It also means to not speak dishonestly.

Parents are not perfect, neither are the children.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

3 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I studied this out years ago and came to the conclusion that it means to obey them when you’re young, respect them always, and provide for their needs when they can no longer provide for themselves.

3Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ a and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ b 5But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:

8“ ‘These people honor me with their lips,

but their hearts are far from me.

9They worship me in vain;

their teachings are merely hu

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

And the command to honor our parents is given as covenant between God and ISRAEL (Dt.4:13).

Thus, the REASON that Dt.5:16 applies to you is because you are ISRAELITE (given Dt. 4:13).

And Israelites obey ALL Torah (Mal.4:4;Jer.31:33;Heb.8:10).

So, the MANNER in which he honour our parents should be consistent with ALL Torah instructions....because ALL Torah is applicable to us.....it's all still in force.....none is yet terminated.....

blessings...

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

1 hour ago, BibleGuy said:

And the command to honor our parents is given as covenant between God and ISRAEL (Dt.4:13).

Thus, the REASON that Dt.5:16 applies to you is because you are ISRAELITE (given Dt. 4:13).

And Israelites obey ALL Torah (Mal.4:4;Jer.31:33;Heb.8:10).

So, the MANNER in which he honour our parents should be consistent with ALL Torah instructions....because ALL Torah is applicable to us.....it's all still in force.....none is yet terminated.....

blessings...

You focus and follow ALL of the instructions in the Torah? 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  777
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

3 minutes ago, joebloggs said:

You focus and follow ALL of the instructions in the Torah? 

Yes, we grow in faithful obedience to ALL Torah (Mt.5:19) to the extent possible in our present diaspora.  We are, after all, still in diaspora, just as we were 2000 years ago (Jas.1:1).  

And, while in diaspora, there are considerable limitations upon our ability to observe.

Technically, we won't again obey 100% until AFTER we return to inherit the land promised to us (Mt.5:5;Gal.3:29;Eph.3:6;Dt.30:1-8).

So, we do what we can.....eagerly anticipating our future!

blessings...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Just now, BibleGuy said:

Yes, we grow in faithful obedience to ALL Torah (Mt.5:19) to the extent possible in our present diaspora.  We are, after all, still in diaspora, just as we were 2000 years ago (Jas.1:1).  

And, while in diaspora, there are considerable limitations upon our ability to observe.

Technically, we won't again obey 100% until AFTER we return to inherit the land promised to us (Mt.5:5;Gal.3:29;Eph.3:6;Dt.30:1-8).

So, we do what we can.....eagerly anticipating our future!

blessings...

So you observe all the ritual washings and dietary instructions? 

And you observe all of the feasts obviously?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.58
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Rom. 7:4   Therefore, my brethren, you also were amade to die bto the Law cthrough the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For while we were ain the flesh, the sinful passions, which were baroused by the Law, were at work cin 1the members of our body to bear fruit for death. 6 But now we have been areleased from the Law, having bdied to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in cnewness of dthe 1Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

• Well Said! 1