• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

Whakaari White Island NZ Eruption Day 5

So far 16 deaths as a result of adventure tourism to New Zealand's most active volcano which erupted last Monday.

Would you visit the crater of an active volcano? If so why?

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

No, I would not. I think sometimes people think beauty is worth the risk.So sad what happened.

I visited Going To The Sun Road in Montana,  which was such a spiritual experience for me, but it was kind of dangerous.

Unfortunately, a young girl died there this past summer when there was a sudden rockslide. 

So any tourist attraction can become dangerous. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

6 hours ago, Michael37 said:

So far 16 deaths as a result of adventure tourism to New Zealand's most active volcano which erupted last Monday.

I did

Because I did things like that in my 20s

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, Michael37 said:

No, because I have more common sense than that. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Would you visit the crater of an active volcano?

Not even an inactive one. Anything bowl shaped traps heavier than air pollutants. I see no reason to go down into them to see if they are toxic to me. 

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Servant

4 hours ago, ayin jade said:

I did

Because I did things like that in my 20s

Interesting replies. Will the public be allowed to visit Whakaari White Island in the future is the question on talk shows here. Amazing fact: the island is privately owned. The island is privately owned by the Buttle Family Trust. It was bought by George Raymond Buttle, a stockbroker, in 1936. Buttle later refused to sell it to the government, but agreed in 1952 that it be declared a private scenic reserve.[Wkpd]

Yes, this was a popular 4 hr round trip for thousands of tourists and locals every year. Some of those from a visiting cruise ship in the nearby Port of Tauranga will be grateful there were not enough vacancies with the tourist operator that took some on the cruise to their death or to a painful life now with permanent injuries. Some survivors had no skin left anywhere on their bodies which medical staff completely wrapped with industrial grade gladwrap (aka cling film). We are praying for all those concerned to be comforted, assisted and loved.

Today six of the eight missing bodies were recovered from the island by Defence Force bomb squad members wearing full hazard suits with internal circulation breathing equipment due to the high level of toxic fumes in the atmosphere. There was a 60% risk of another eruption but the days of planning paid off and everything went according to plan. The two missing bodies may have been vapourised, buried, or carried out to sea, but the plan is to keep searching for them.

Whakaari White Island Eruption Survivors With Critical Burns [More stories and photos relating to the tragedy]

Search Links To Discussions & News Items

1412831409_WhiteIslandhelicopter1.jpg.d53fe949f150834f18eb4a669f7c2609.jpg

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

I went to NZ for years with my job. We often looked across and wondered when it would blow. Much of the country there is volcanic with many back-yard geysers and plenty of hot water. You get used to the sulphuric odor after a while.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Servant

12 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

I went to NZ for years with my job. We often looked across and wondered when it would blow. Much of the country there is volcanic with many back-yard geysers and plenty of hot water. You get used to the sulphuric odor after a while.

Thanks for your comment, Justin. You don't say where you reside now, but Yes, we are on the Pacific Ring of fire and have numerous fault lines that give rise to some pretty scary earthquakes.

Some comments have been made by those who went on tours prior to the eruption saying they didn't realise until they got there how much of a risk they were taking, and were scared because they had their young children with them. The public were only allowed to visit with certified tour operators who had them all sign waivers, so there will be no law suits for personal liability. Our Government is paying for medical and funeral costs regardless of where in the world those affected are from, but the sorrowing is tangible in our country and will be for some time, as it is for the numerous other disasters that have happened. 

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

My friend at the Taupo mill was navigator on one of the Tall Ships races. We often would troll for rainbow on the Lake after work was over. I love the country and its low population density. There are many real pioneers there and many great inventions have come from NZ.

I do not know of any 'local' that wanted to visit White Island. We all felt it was an accident waiting to happen. It is so sad that visitors are not well informed of the risks. We would push our a boat of Papamoa beach and catch the most amazing fish. I always had a great time there.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

7 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Some survivors had no skin left anywhere on their bodies which medical staff completely wrapped with industrial grade gladwrap (aka cling film).

People with burns that severe rarely survive. Burns on 70% total surface area usually result in a 69% mortality rate. It gets worse with burns that are greater than 70%. It is also a painful long healing process with great risks of infection etc.