ReneeIW

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

Me and my husband were having a slight disagreement. There is a church that advertises on their website a promo showing the pastor retiring and handing the reins over  to a new pastor. In the promo, the pastor leaving is the “Godfather” and he sends out one of his men to intimidate the new pastor. 

I thought this was in poor taste but my husband said it’s just men having a little fun. These same men sometimes use swear words (not judging just adding more context)and have publicly said using “Christ” as an expletive is fine.

I’ve always hated the Mafia and how they were glamorized  in the past, so maybe I’m overly sensitive. But I didn’t like seeing a church doing this.

Innocent fun or inappropriate for a Church?

Edited by ReneeIW

22 minutes ago, DustyRoad said:

Off the top of my head? Juvenile and highly inappropriate. The use and justification of curse/swear words and referring to our Savior and Lord in such a setting is more than revolting, @ReneeIW. There's nothing remotely glamorous or okay about murderous men and organized crime. 

It looks like they removed the video. I can’t find it. They had it on their website and on YouTube

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Me and my husband were having a slight disagreement. There is a church that advertises on their website a promo showing the pastor retiring and handing the reins over  to a new pastor. In the promo, the pastor leaving is the “Godfather” and he sends out one of his men to intimidate the new pastor. 

I thought this was in poor taste but my husband said it’s just men having a little fun. These same men sometimes use swear words (not judging just adding more context)and have publicly said using “Christ” as an expletive is fine.

I’ve always hated the Mafia and how they were glamorized  in the past, so maybe I’m overly sensitive. But I didn’t like seeing a church doing this.

It is not in good taste coming from a pastor of a church. The Godfather is from the mafia and is associated with a lot of crime. It is very worldly and quite sad. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

Have you checked out their statement of faith? Chances are they are from a more open liberal church.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Perhaps their website was hacked. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

14 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Using "Christ" as an expletive breaks one of the Ten Commandments (using the Lord's name in vain).

19 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Perhaps their website was hacked. 

Nope! I found a similar skit on YouTube that they did  for their Christian men’s conference. Maybe I was overreacting. My husband laughed at it. 

Edit by Omegaman 3.0 - Video removed, videos are only allowed in the video section of the forum.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

Sorry......I got bored and stopped watching......

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

16 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Likely in poor taste, giving indication of a lack of discernment on the part of whoever placed it on the website.

I received one today myself, an e-mail that began  "It's time to sit in front of a dead tree and eat candy out of socks. Yay!" The opening to an invite to an open house gathering at a church I happen to like an d enjoy when near it's facilities. Supposed to be humor, but falls quite short IMO. But then I fall short myself on many an occasion. Probably are better things to form into a cause.